Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 51 of 60 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowling!

vCash
    What happend in your 168 game? Splits?

vCash
    I couldnt carry a 10 pin to save my life and a few splits. The lanes broke down fast and I didnt change balls fast enough. So I changed balls for the third game and it worked out a lot better.

vCash
    makes sense bro.

vCash
    crap night tonight. 596.

vCash
    I've never ventured to this part of the forum, but I remember BJFD having a link to it in the past. I've been bowling since I was little, but that's deceptive. My parents are both mediocre straight bowlers and I had no hook bowler influences growing up. I had good games occasionally straight bowling, but all in all, it was a mostly unimpressive resume.

In the fall of 2010 I decided to make the change as I bowled amongst a number of quality bowlers and was desperate to improve. When I first started learning, I was coached by a guy named Jimmy Smith. He's done some national tournaments and puts up a consistent 220+ average.

That being said, he was a good friend, but his coaching didn't click with me. So I worked off what he said but it was painful to throw and gave up until about April 2011. When I tried again, I had spent a lot of time analyzing various styles. I settled at the time on palming the ball, no fingers. It worked better than my straight bowling.

I began to improve in average until I hit about 155 or so and slammed in to the ceiling due to the inconsistent nature. I had also learned to throw a reverse hook for the 10. Around that time I met a friend named James. He's the best bowler I've ever bowled alongside. Incredible consistency, solid 220+ average as well.

I'm someone who feeds off competition. James and I started bowling together in a league. It was in what was generally considered amongst league bowlers I know as the house with the toughest shot in the DFW Metroplex. The oil was ****, the lanes were inconsistent and the place was barren (it shutdown this summer).

I had a Tropical Storm at the time, an entry level hook ball. The lanes, in addition to my inability to give my friend a real challenge, really frustrated me. I began to practice like crazy, try new things and bought the pro shop owner's Taboo. Once again, my average went up, but it again hit a glass ceiling as I still couldn't use my fingers. I also badly sprained my left ankle in January this year forcing me, as a right hand bowler, to learn to use my right foot for my plant foot for about four months.

I got healthy, learned to use two fingers and finally splurged on a pro level ball of my own, a Mission X. I also got a Cyclone from a league, solid 10 pin ball for me, no more reverse hooks. And with the terrible center closed, I went back to bowling full time in Euless.

This Thursday I bowled the best series of my life, a 699. And over the past four weeks I've managed to get over 2200 pins. Life is good and I give James a solid challenge at least a couple games a week now. I got him once last week, but he took two and the series with a 730. But hey, I've been closing the gap. So that's my story.
    Last edited by Skizzik; 10-20-2012 at 04:12 PM.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    Dr. Seuss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzik View Post
    I've never ventured to this part of the forum, but I remember BJFD having a link to it in the past. I've been bowling since I was little, but that's deceptive. My parents are both mediocre straight bowlers and I had no hook bowler influences growing up. I had good games occasionally straight bowling, but all in all, it was a mostly unimpressive resume.

In the fall of 2010 I decided to make the change as I bowled amongst a number of quality bowlers and was desperate to improve. When I first started learning, I was coached by a guy named Jimmy Smith. He's done some national tournaments and puts up a consistent 220+ average.

That being said, he was a good friend, but his coaching didn't click with me. So I worked off what he said but it was painful to throw and gave up until about April 2011. When I tried again, I had spent a lot of time analyzing various styles. I settled at the time on palming the ball, no fingers. It worked better than my straight bowling.

I began to improve in average until I hit about 155 or so and slammed in to the ceiling due to the inconsistent nature. I had also learned to throw a reverse hook for the 10. Around that time I met a friend named James. He's the best bowler I've ever bowled alongside. Incredible consistency, solid 220+ average as well.

I'm someone who feeds off competition. James and I started bowling together in a league. It was in what was generally considered amongst league bowlers I know as the house with the toughest shot in the DFW Metroplex. The oil was ****, the lanes were inconsistent and the place was barren (it shutdown this summer).

I had a Tropical Storm at the time, an entry level hook ball. The lanes, in addition to my inability to give my friend a real challenge, really frustrated me. I began to practice like crazy, try new things and bought the pro shop owner's Taboo. Once again, my average went up, but it again hit a glass ceiling as I still couldn't use my fingers. I also badly sprained my left ankle in January this year forcing me, as a right hand bowler, to learn to use my right foot for my plant foot for about four months.

I got healthy, learned to use two fingers and finally splurged on a pro level ball of my own, a Mission X. I also got a Cyclone from a league, solid 10 pin ball for me, no more reverse hooks. And with the terrible center closed, I went back to bowling full time in Euless.

This Thursday I bowled the best series of my life, a 699. And over the past four weeks I've managed to get over 2200 pins. Life is good and I give James a solid challenge at least a couple games a week now. I got him once last week, but he took two and the series with a 730. But hey, I've been closing the gap. So that's my story.
    Keep posting here man. Thats good shiznit.

vCash
    Good stuff Skizz.

Do you put your thumb in the ball?

As for me Saturday night finally got back on track with a 655 series. but our team got crushed and lost all 7 points. It tough when you are bowling with a team handicap in the 50's and the other team is in the 120's. We beat them scratch every game but couldnt catch their handicap. Two guys on my team had bad nights, and when you are trailing by 7 marks before the game even starts you cant have bad nights.
    Last edited by DaSox_05; 10-22-2012 at 10:03 AM.

vCash
    That sucks DaSox. That's pretty much how it goes with my team too. If one guy has a bad day we are screwed.

vCash
    I bought a Violent Erruption today. Can't wait to try it in league tonight. We start a new pattern, 34 feet. We'll be playing straight up the gutter for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwstriker299 View Post
    That sucks DaSox. That's pretty much how it goes with my team too. If one guy has a bad day we are screwed.
    And it was a position night! UGH!

vCash
    The league I bowl in has 31 teams (with a VACANT 32nd team to even it out). 5 bowlers a team, coed (must have at least one male/female). My team has had a mixed start, we have lost more than we've won through 7 weeks, despite sweeping our opponent last week and the 9th highest team average in the league.

The two weeks prior we hit teams when they got hot, we've only played one team with a lower handicap (week two). In the previous two weeks (oddly, both times in game two) our opponent has bowled a top 3 overall team handicap score for the first seven weeks, or two of the top 3 games out of 651 games bowled all season have been against us.

It also doesn't help that our two and three bowlers have entered slumps the last few weeks. Our female is our leadoff, she averages 158. Our second bowler will be at 170 next week, third at 176, I'm at 177 and my friend James is at 223 (good for second highest average in the league unless first place tanked last week).

Over all, we stand at 23-24 now, not sure on position until Thursday, but it will be a position round. The first of four (33 week league).
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    Dr. Seuss

vCash
    My team is in like 8th out of 18 i think, but im not gonna lie i really dont even care what we do all i care about is if i bowl good or not haha.

Been steadily dropping avg over the last month, just not throwing it right anymore. Pulling my arm, weak release, just dont feel right these days. Get to bowl against a guy with almost a 240 avg next week.

vCash
    Finally put a stop to my 2 pin a week drop in avg....back up to 196 (its like 196.8 but we dont round up). The goal of 200 is back on track!

vCash
    703 Monday. 193, 266, 244 with one open all night which was the big 4 in my 193 game. I had the first 7 the 2nd game and threw it out to far in the 8th and had the first 5 in the third game and burried a 7 pin. Got knocked out of brackets in the first round but ended up wining the high game jack pot and most pins over ave the last 2 games to take home 60 bucks. Only 3 600's and my 700 all night. Strange night for everyone really. Usually there are a lot more high games and a lot more sixes.

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    I'm subbing on my cousin's team tonight. First time I've bowled in a men's league in a long time. My 165 average self among 4 200+ bowlers. This should be interesting.

|MY GFX GALLERY|
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Then-Most View Post
    I am a twilight fan girl

Page 51 of 60 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast