Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 867

Thread: Bowling!

  1. #61
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    13,801
    vCash
    1500
    just bought a copperhead for my league. bowled decently with it, def has some wicked curve on it that i need to get used to


  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Probably at work!
    Posts
    17,298
    vCash
    1500
    Last time I take a week off!

    I was off last Saturday for bowling and this past Saturday I was terrible! 191-168-189 and we got swept.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    225
    vCash
    1500
    Going tonight. I won a little tournament this weekend and the first prize was a Brunswick C-series 4.5. I got it drilled with an ultra aggressive affect. Trying it out tonight to see what it can do.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    4,777
    vCash
    6000
    I am going to try to convince my roommates to go bowling this weekend, I haven't picked up a ball in over 2 years now and haven't actively bowled in over 4 years. If I do go this weekend I hope for about a 470 in a 3 game set and hopefully get out there more and build off of that. 4 years ago my average was in the high 170s so I'm hoping I haven't regressed too much. God I really miss bowling and would love to join a league if I had the time/transport to get there.

    Sig Bet Record: 1-0

    YOU'RE SPOILED



  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    25,074
    vCash
    1500
    Got my bowling league in 2 hours. I am excited. I forgot to post my scores last week but they weren't post worthy anyways lol.
    TAKE PRIDE

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    25,074
    vCash
    1500
    I sucked in my bowling league yesterday. The lanes were oiled really poorly and I couldn't adjust to it. I ended up bowling a 140 game 1 which is solid but below average for me but game 2 I just could not do anything right and bowled a pathetic 103. Worst game for me in a while. I did tell the person in charge of leagues that I felt the lane was oiled poorly so she said she would get someone to take care of it for next week.
    TAKE PRIDE

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Probably at work!
    Posts
    17,298
    vCash
    1500
    What do you mean by poorly oiled?

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    25,074
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DaSox_05 View Post
    What do you mean by poorly oiled?
    Like as in I spin my ball from right to left and start it off all the way on the right side and it always spins in right into the middle unless I screw up but Monday I think the oil pattern was just messed up because my ball would not spin into the middle. I didn't change anything on how I bowl but I was missing by a lot so I think it had something to do with the oil or possibly the lack of oil. They usually re-oil the lanes before league but for whatever reason they did not do it because they were short staffed and somehow that made them unable to do it and so I am pretty sure that was what affected my game.
    TAKE PRIDE

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    25,074
    vCash
    1500
    I had trouble making adjustments. Hopefully they will fix it next week. Usually its very good and they are good about it.
    TAKE PRIDE

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    225
    vCash
    1500
    Bowled Tuesday night 197,180,180. Pretty decent for my first time at a new alley. First time bowling on a German alley and they oil a little different. Everything is oiled except for the first four boards.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Probably at work!
    Posts
    17,298
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    Like as in I spin my ball from right to left and start it off all the way on the right side and it always spins in right into the middle unless I screw up but Monday I think the oil pattern was just messed up because my ball would not spin into the middle. I didn't change anything on how I bowl but I was missing by a lot so I think it had something to do with the oil or possibly the lack of oil. They usually re-oil the lanes before league but for whatever reason they did not do it because they were short staffed and somehow that made them unable to do it and so I am pretty sure that was what affected my game.
    Well like ****** said you have to make adjustments, but if the people who work at the alley didnt oil the lanes then I understand your frustration. Once last year the guy who oils the lanes at the place I bowl at said the machine broke halfway through oiling the lanes. There are 28 lanes and he only oiled 14 so the other half was dry and there were a lot of pissed off bowlers. Because bowling on dry lanes is nearly impossible.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    25,074
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DaSox_05 View Post
    Well like ****** said you have to make adjustments, but if the people who work at the alley didnt oil the lanes then I understand your frustration. Once last year the guy who oils the lanes at the place I bowl at said the machine broke halfway through oiling the lanes. There are 28 lanes and he only oiled 14 so the other half was dry and there were a lot of pissed off bowlers. Because bowling on dry lanes is nearly impossible.
    Yeah exactly. It's tough when the lanes are oiled poorly because bowlers who bowl a lot are used to having the lane oiled a certain way and when it's not it makes life difficult.
    TAKE PRIDE

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    1,066
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    Yeah exactly. It's tough when the lanes are oiled poorly because bowlers who bowl a lot are used to having the lane oiled a certain way and when it's not it makes life difficult.
    Man...I never even looked for a bowling thread. If the lanes are like that next week for you, it sounds like they had too much oil down on the lanes. What you need to do is move a little further to the right. The ball won't have as much time to float toward the gutter, and will have to move further toward the middle. I know it sounds contradictory, but trust me. If a ball isn't cutting acrossed, you can bet that the oil slipped out to the outside 4 boards on both sides. Normally 'house oil patterns' are super slick on the inside, and dry on the outside to help the bowlers score high. For those who like to have an arc on the ball, it grips on the outside and shoots in. For those who like to throw hard and straight, its slick on the insides so it goes straighter.

    I used to work at a bowling alley, and unfortunately its really easy to let the oil slip further than it should, even with the machines.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    25,074
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by xanderyear View Post
    Man...I never even looked for a bowling thread. If the lanes are like that next week for you, it sounds like they had too much oil down on the lanes. What you need to do is move a little further to the right. The ball won't have as much time to float toward the gutter, and will have to move further toward the middle. I know it sounds contradictory, but trust me. If a ball isn't cutting acrossed, you can bet that the oil slipped out to the outside 4 boards on both sides. Normally 'house oil patterns' are super slick on the inside, and dry on the outside to help the bowlers score high. For those who like to have an arc on the ball, it grips on the outside and shoots in. For those who like to throw hard and straight, its slick on the insides so it goes straighter.

    I used to work at a bowling alley, and unfortunately its really easy to let the oil slip further than it should, even with the machines.
    Thanks for the advice man. Hopefully if necessary it could work for me. It's all about repition for me though so I have trouble adjusting sometimes. But I do see your point and it sounds like it could work.
    TAKE PRIDE

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    1,066
    vCash
    1500
    A couple years ago I lived and breathed bowling. I was on a sponsered travelers league, I was the captain of my high school league, I was in a league at the bowling alley that sponsered me, and I worked there as well. You find out how to adjust quickly when you need too. If you throw it with a lower rev rate (meaning the ball doesn't turn itself super quickly like some bowlers), you'll need to move the opposite direction you need to throw the ball. There's something in our minds that know we can't throw in the gutter, so most of the time, if you need the ball to move left, you'd move right. It sounds counterproductive until you try it out.

    Now, if you're someone who has a pretty high rev rate (I reference people like Wes Malott from the pro tour), then what you need to do is speed the ball up more. That causes more friction on the lanes, and burns up more oil. While it may not help straight off, it will in a 3 game stretch.

    Sigh, I had to quit bowling because of monetary reasons, my wife and I just didn't have the money when we first got married. I'm hoping to get back into it soon though. It's only been a year, but it's killing me.

Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •