Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowling!

vCash

Bowling!

A place to discuss bowling related things. PBA, leagues you are in, your personal scores, and anything Bowling related.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    I will start it off. I have been bowling my whole life. I started becoming a more serious bowler about 3 years ago. My average is somewhere around 145, not exactly sure but it is in that area. My high score came last year. I got a 237. Best day of my life. I love bowling and really want to join a league soon.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    I'm really good at Wii bowling.

vCash
    I started bowling at two years old. No bumpers then. And no four pound balls for the kiddies. I bowled in weekend recreational leagues all throughout grade and high school. I also worked as a lanesman and pinchaser throughout high school. I may very well have been the only 15 year old at the time with not one but two $300 bowling balls and Linds Custom bowling shoes. At the age of 16, after carrying an average of 210+ in two different competitive scratch leagues in two different bowling houses, I began entering regional PBA tournaments and competing with and against the likes of Dick Weber, Marshall Holman, Walter Ray Williams, Jr., and Leila Wagner and Tish Johnson. I discovered that competing at a professional level is very different from competing for fun, and that it takes a level of commitment and concentration and talent very few have, just as in other professional sports. I still bowl in PBA regional tournaments at least twice per year to keep my PBA status active, and I have four children I take bowling regularly. I consider myself a complete bowling geek and may, as time permits, write more about the equipment ans the science behind the game.
    Ask me about my balls ...

Here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSportsIsPain View Post
    I started bowling at two years old. No bumpers then. And no four pound balls for the kiddies. I bowled in weekend recreational leagues all throughout grade and high school. I also worked as a lanesman and pinchaser throughout high school. I may very well have been the only 15 year old at the time with not one but two $300 bowling balls and Linds Custom bowling shoes. At the age of 16, after carrying an average of 210+ in two different competitive scratch leagues in two different bowling houses, I began entering regional PBA tournaments and competing with and against the likes of Dick Weber, Marshall Holman, Walter Ray Williams, Jr., and Leila Wagner and Tish Johnson. I discovered that competing at a professional level is very different from competing for fun, and that it takes a level of commitment and concentration and talent very few have, just as in other professional sports. I still bowl in PBA regional tournaments at least twice per year to keep my PBA status active, and I have four children I take bowling regularly. I consider myself a complete bowling geek and may, as time permits, write more about the equipment ans the science behind the game.
    That is a very impressive track record. What's it like bowling against guys like Dick Weber and Walter Ray Williams? Must be pretty intense. How have you done in the PBA events? Ever won any?
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    That is a very impressive track record. What's it like bowling against guys like Dick Weber and Walter Ray Williams? Must be pretty intense. How have you done in the PBA events? Ever won any?
    Most of the well-known PBA players are very nice people and will give advice if you ask for it. Dick Weber was one of the nicest people I've ever known. I admit I cried the day he passed away. I learned everything I know from either watching or talking to Marshall Holman. Walter Ray is a machine. He's a nice enough guy but even his off-lane demeanor says how analytical he is. Walter Ray is The Terminator.

I've won several regionals but the PBA National events, particularly the Majors, are brutal. Between the qualifiers and the bracket games a person can roll 24 games before they ever see the finals, and that is after the practice games. The lanes change so frequently that players who don't know how to roll a straight shot, like myself, struggle mightily. I grew up in an era before the synthetic lanes and the reactive and proactive equipment where you had to do all the work to make the ball hook. Thirty-five plus years of rolling the ball like that is a difficult habit to break but now the equipment does all of the work. They are making balls now that hook before they hit the lane, or so it seems. So if there are 100 units of solid lane conditioner I'm fine, but once the lanes have been tracked up I am standing at the left gutter and rolling the ball all the way to the right one and hoping I can keep it on the right-hand side of the pocket.
    Ask me about my balls ...

Here

vCash
    I have been bowling in leagues since I was a kid. I started in 6th grade, and have been bowling in leagues ever since then and I am 30yrs old. I have been bowling in the same Saturday night league for the last 10 years its USBC sactioned(sp?).

I currently own 4 bowling balls. Track 920A & The Rising, Morich Weapon of Mass Bias, and a Titan. Now I have probably had 20 bowling balls in my 18 years of bowling in leagues. My current average is 204, I bowled a 300 this year in February, got my ring last week. The league I bowl in the lanes are wood which I love cuz its more of a challenge. Synthetic just seems easier for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSportsIsPain View Post
    Most of the well-known PBA players are very nice people and will give advice if you ask for it. Dick Weber was one of the nicest people I've ever known. I admit I cried the day he passed away. I learned everything I know from either watching or talking to Marshall Holman. Walter Ray is a machine. He's a nice enough guy but even his off-lane demeanor says how analytical he is. Walter Ray is The Terminator.

I've won several regionals but the PBA National events, particularly the Majors, are brutal. Between the qualifiers and the bracket games a person can roll 24 games before they ever see the finals, and that is after the practice games. The lanes change so frequently that players who don't know how to roll a straight shot, like myself, struggle mightily. I grew up in an era before the synthetic lanes and the reactive and proactive equipment where you had to do all the work to make the ball hook. Thirty-five plus years of rolling the ball like that is a difficult habit to break but now the equipment does all of the work. They are making balls now that hook before they hit the lane, or so it seems. So if there are 100 units of solid lane conditioner I'm fine, but once the lanes have been tracked up I am standing at the left gutter and rolling the ball all the way to the right one and hoping I can keep it on the right-hand side of the pocket.
    That's so cool. I remember when i found out Dick Weber passed away. i was really sad about it. He is my favorite bowler ever. Sounds like you have had a lot of fun and met awesome bowlers. The professional events sound really complicated and difficult. I know I am not nearly good enough but once I get better I would love to enter one of those tournaments. But that is still really cool. Good luck at the next event you are at.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    I don't know too much about the intricacies in bowling but I have been in a league for about 4 years now, and last year I was in 2. I'm not in any this season due to some issues and time constraints.

I'm about up to a 175ish average but am too streaky.

I can't bowl the traditional way, it just doesn't work, I have to bowl thumbless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I don't know too much about the intricacies in bowling but I have been in a league for about 4 years now, and last year I was in 2. I'm not in any this season due to some issues and time constraints.

I can't bowl the traditional way, it just doesn't work, I have to bowl thumbless.
    Pretty nice average. Bowling thumbless seems like it would be really difficult. I know I couldn't do it. That's impressive that you can bowl like that and have that average.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post

There are quite a few bowlers who bowl in the league with me who do not use the thumb which baffles me. They are all about the same as you 175 bowler but very inconsistent.

I tell them they are inconsistent because they dont use their thumb. But thats they way they have always bowled and are to use to it to change.

There is one guy though is real good who doesnt use the thumb his average is in the 190's. I still have no idea how he does it. I tried for a game and its tough, especially on spares.

vCash
    Yeah it is really difficult. It was my first year in the league and the kid I bowl with doesn't use his thumb and hasn't for years. I was bowling straight the traditional way and I sucked a lot of D so one day during just a regular game I decided to try it. First ball fell off my hand and it was a strike. Never felt better throwing a ball like that.

When you throw a ball like that you get so much hook it's unbelievable. That explains the inconsistency of it. The way the lanes are oiled effects it moreso than it would a traditionally thrown ball.

For awhile I would bowl 600+ series weekly and then I could barely break 500.

They also say people that don't use thumbs have a shorter bowling career but I've tried to go back to the traditional way and it just doesn't feel right anymore.

vCash
    The best story I have of someone being intrigued by it was when I was at open bowl and this 40 year old hillbilly came up to me and was like, "hey man, you're bowling weird, but you're good" I told him that I wasn't using my thumb. He was like ok and I just laughed. He was a couple lanes over and I was watching him as he went to his lane and saw him pick his ball up to try it. He waddled up to the line and basically just dropped the ball on the lane. Most awkward thing I've seen.

vCash
    I am an awful ****ing bowler. Dad bowled with guys like Parker Bohn and Norm Duke though. Also credits himself with 17 perfect games. But I'm guessing that really means about 9

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    I am an awful ****ing bowler. Dad bowled with guys like Parker Bohn and Norm Duke though. Also credits himself with 17 perfect games. But I'm guessing that really means about 9
    That's 9 more then I have

Pretty cool though that your Dad got to bowl with some big shots. I would kill to have a chance to do that.
    TAKE PRIDE

Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast