Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Running & (Foot-)Racing: A Training Manual By Pablo

Running Tips For Beginners By 3s [Part I]
    Intro: Since January 1, 1978, I’ve run some 150,000 miles, imagine that. In three separate years, I ran 10,000 miles (28.5 miles a day; over a marathon a day). The last time I did that was last year, in my mid ‘60s years old (at an average elevation of 9,000 feet or 1.5 miles high, mostly over mountainous terrain running unaccompanied, i.e., by myself). To be able to accomplish so much requires some combination of:
    a) very good coaching,
    b) being a very good pupil, AND
    c) some luck.
    The most likely alternatives would be in order of frequency:
    a) Quitting;
    b) A series of set-backs due to Illnesses (particularly colds) and/or injuries;
    c) A serious run-career-ending injury.
    I have coached myself and a series of other people (FROM: many, many beginners; TO: a number of people who wanted to quit smoking and/or other bad habits; TO: a few serious, long-time, highly-trained competitors. Amongst the many things I’ve learned thru running and coaching it; is that:
    a) Advice is only useful if it is applicable;
    b) Advice is most useful when it is most easily “memorized”; AND,
    c) Seemingly, organizing things by 3s, is the best way to both organize them and to make them memorize-able
    Therefore, I’m going to try to impart as much of what I’ve learned as a runner & coach; AND present it in the most memorize-able / usable form (presenting things in groups of 3s, in particular).
    - - - - - - - -
    Outlines: A = 3 Basic Divisions; B = 9 Intermediate Divisions; C = 27 Fully-Delineated Divisions
    Outline A: THE 3 Basic Divisions Of Your Running “Career”
    1) Before Deciding To Start (or Return To) A Running “Career”;
    2) Transitional First Month (the transition FROM non-runner / non-athlete TO beginner-runner;
    3) Your Running “Career”
    Outline B: THE 9 Intermediate Divisions Of Your Running “Career”
    1) Before Deciding To Start (or Return To) A Running “Career”
    a) Family Medical History
    b) Your Personal Medical History
    c) Your Current Medical/Health Evaluation

2) Transitional First Month (the transition FROM non-runner / non-athlete TO beginner-runner
    a) Phase 1: High Complex-Carbohydrate Diet (without/before starting to exercise)
    b) Phase 2: Walking
    c) Phase 3: Mixed Walking-Running

3) Your Running “Career”
    a) Beginning Running
    b) Intermediate Running & Racing
    c) Advanced Running & Racing

Notes: Most of what you need to learn about a Running “Career” will be included in section “3)” above. But, exactly because: what you do before you start such a possible running career is MORE POTENTIONALLY DANGEROUS, two separate sections precede section “3)”.
    SECTION 1) Before Deciding To Start (or Return To) A Running “Career”:
    In section 1), we’ll look at what one MUST (i.e., absolutely should) DO, before deciding to “Yes” embark on a running “career”. N.B. by “career” I mean, that running would become a regular part of your life (on a 3-times-a-week, 20 minutes a session basis, at least) AND lasting for years; perhaps most of the rest of your life.
    What the focus is in section 1), is to try to determine, as surely as possible, if there are any significant reasons why beginning a running “career” might be too dangerous a risk for you as a particular individual. Three key things needed to be determined:
    a) Your family-health history (particularly any hereditary health-risks, especially those most related to endurance training);
    b) Your personal-health history (especially, again, particular attention to risk factors. Examples might be: fragile bones / connections; weak heart / lungs; etc.); and
    c) Your present state-of-health (getting an examination the focus of which is to ascertain whether your current health permits the initiation of such a project; and how relatively weak/strong you are – to help guide the initial stages of your particular training program. N.B. While there ARE generally-applicable principles, that virtually everyone can/should apply; there ARE ALSO the individual-to-each-person factors which must be taken into account; i.e. used to modify the general plan to better fit you specifically.

[to be continued]

vCash
    N.B. I'd really like to "clean-up" the OP, make it easier to read and easier to remember the main points; but I can't see to get the "edit" function to work. * Please accept my apologies that I couldn't make it a little better.

* I wrote that post originally in a word-processing program, then copied and pasted it to here; but, amongst a number of "mistakes" that occurred in the process were:
    All my bolding got removed;
    Much of my spacing got removed.

For these and a couple of other technical reasons, it does not read nearly as well as the original.
    Last edited by Pablonovi; 12-05-2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: added asterix