Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    12,546

    Deals you wish your team made?

    The opposite of the other thread about deals you would take back, which is HERE. Discuss trades and signings that your team was rumored to make, but ultimately did not, that you wish they did.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    12,546
    For the Orioles:

    While the Erik Bedard trade was lopsided- the Orioles ended up with Chris Tillman, Adam Jones and George Sherrill- the Orioles had other trades that might have worked out better. The Reds were aggressively pursuing Bedard, offering Joey Votto and the Orioles' choice of Johnny Cueto or Homer Bailey. The Dodgers were also in the mix, at one point offering Clayton Kershaw and Matt Kemp. Looking at how the Orioles stack up now, having Kershaw would be huge.

    The Orioles letting Mike Mussina walk to the Yankees in his free agent year. We offered him one contract, which was lowballed, and the Yankees offered him what he signed for. In an 11th hour bid, our owner increased the offer but still did not meet the Yankees offer. If the rumors are to be believed, if the second offer was offered first, Mussina would have re-signed with the Orioles. The Orioles haven't had a legitimate TORP since.

    The Orioles letting Nick Markakis and Nelson Cruz walk after the 2014 season. The Orioles didn't want to give long-term contracts to either player, who contributed heavily to the AL East championship but the front office and ownership saw on the wrong side of 30. The Orioles didn't make much of an effort to re-sign Cruz, but made a four year offer to Markakis, only to pull it and blaming it on a neck injury. The Orioles have since had a turnstile in right field and at the top of the order, and Nelson Cruz is showing no signs of slowing down 2.5 years into his Mariners contract.

    Not signing Vladimir Guerrero to team with Miguel Tejada in 2005. The Orioles maintained some interest in Guerrero after signing Tejada during that off-season, but it was ultimately never serious. Those two would have been great building blocks for that team.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,924
    Convinced Garrett Cole to skip college

    Biggest of recent memory: Signed Max Schrezer a couple years ago

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,962
    http://www.thesportster.com/baseball...most-happened/

    Four Jays deals on the list and 3 of the 4 with JP Riccardi as the GM.

    Steve Karsay and Mike Timlin for Randy Johnson (though we used Karsay to land Ricky Henderson to win the WS).

    Ted Lilly for a top prospect named Ryan Howard.

    Jose Cruz Jr. for a prospect named David Wright.

    Alex Rios for Matt Cain or Tim Lincecum.

    Jays not signing Yu Darvish and Aroldis Chapman.

    Jays signing Ervin Santana before the 2014 season. Santana's 3 WAR season in 2014 likely gets the Jays in the playoffs.

    Jays trade for Ian Kinsler and Koji Uehara in seperate deals - both players refused to waive their NTC.

    Cant really blame JP for the Rios deal at the time. Rios was good with no one to replace him then put up close to 6 WAR seasons in 2007 and 2008. Howard and Wright should have been done - a few months of Cruz for a former 1st round pick/top prospects and 1.5 years of a 5 ERA pitcher for one of the best minor league bats in baseball.

    Those 2012-now Jays teams could have been very different with Darvish, Chapman, Kinsler, Santana and Uehara in the Jays lineup.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    36,395
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipmike View Post
    http://www.thesportster.com/baseball...most-happened/

    Four Jays deals on the list and 3 of the 4 with JP Riccardi as the GM.

    Steve Karsay and Mike Timlin for Randy Johnson (though we used Karsay to land Ricky Henderson to win the WS).

    Ted Lilly for a top prospect named Ryan Howard.


    Jose Cruz Jr. for a prospect named David Wright.

    Alex Rios for Matt Cain or Tim Lincecum.

    Jays not signing Yu Darvish and Aroldis Chapman.

    Jays signing Ervin Santana before the 2014 season. Santana's 3 WAR season in 2014 likely gets the Jays in the playoffs.

    Jays trade for Ian Kinsler and Koji Uehara in seperate deals - both players refused to waive their NTC.

    Cant really blame JP for the Rios deal at the time. Rios was good with no one to replace him then put up close to 6 WAR seasons in 2007 and 2008. Howard and Wright should have been done - a few months of Cruz for a former 1st round pick/top prospects and 1.5 years of a 5 ERA pitcher for one of the best minor league bats in baseball.

    Those 2012-now Jays teams could have been very different with Darvish, Chapman, Kinsler, Santana and Uehara in the Jays lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La Puente, CA
    Posts
    11,951
    Ismael Valdes for Jim Edmonds after the 1999 season. The Angels offered this trade, but the Dodgers turned it down.

    Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Up along first, behind the bag.
    Posts
    1,836
    Obviously re-signing Daniel Murphy was a must. That off-season I'd wanted them to sign Murphy, trade Dilson Herrera for Aroldis Chapman, when the Reds were trying to get rid of him. Chapman would have given the Mets the chance to get Bumgarner out of last year's WC game and get to the SF bullpen, which likely would have allowed them to advance to the NLDS. The Yankees stole him from the Reds instead.

    This past off-season I wanted the Mets to take the money they used for Neil Walker and Jay Bruce and sign Jansen and Chapman. Bruce has been good but a great bullpen would have prevented the pitching implosion that ruined this season. Jansen's been unhittable this season.

    I knew lots of the Alderson draft picks wouldn't pan out and wanted to deal them 2 years ago for ML ready talent, while the Mets had a window to win. Back then Nimmo, Cecchini, etc. had trade value. Not so much anymore.

    Going further back becomes a bottomless pit of second guessing but they obviously should have signed Alex Rodriguez and Vladimir Guerrero.
    Last edited by Coupon; 07-24-2017 at 01:36 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    39,094
    Signing Scherzer and Lester in the same offseason

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    49,992
    I thought it was beyond obvious that we needed Jim Edmonds back with the Cardinals in 2010.

    Then the Reds barely beat us out for the division in 2010.




    A few deals that I had strong opinions on:
    I wanted to trade for Furcal in 2011, and they did.
    I wanted them to sign Beltran and let Pujols walk in 2012, and they did.
    I opposed the Berkman signing in 2011, and he was a WS hero for us.
    I opposed the Rasmus trade in 2011, and we don't win that WS without it.
    I was strongly against the trade for Theriot in 2011, and I was totally right, though we haven't missed BH at all.. Tootblans was just a waste of money and energy and was about to be DFA'd. I wanted Miguel Tejada signed for cheap, but he wasn't very good any way.
    I thought we should build a package to land Haren in 2010 and then extend him after 2011, it's debatable if we would have been better off or not.
    I wanted the Cardinals to bring Freese back to help at first and third to enter 2016. While that would have been fine, Gyroko ended up playing so well it didn't matter.
    I was angry about the Jake Westbrook trade, felt Haren or Oswalt could have been landed for a similar package.
    I felt Justin Upton could have been had by the Cardinals a number of times as well.
    Haven't been a fan of the Molina extensions and wasn't a fan of the Leake signing, neutral on the Fowler signing considering the situation.

    Additionally, I don't remember many.


    Cards have spent more time in buy mode than in sell mode, so now that they are likely to sell, it's a new territory. I do like that Moz is rather conservative though.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 07-24-2017 at 04:50 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    36,395
    2008 happened and I'm happy about that, thrilled. I do wish the Phillies could've built better around Rolen and Schilling though. Rolen was 33 in 2008 and was still ok enough to man 3rd. They maybe could've gotten into the post season earlier too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    91,080
    Mets - Signed Alex Rodriguez in 2001, yeah yeah all the baggage to go along with multiple MVP's.

    Signed Vlad Guerrero - yeah that back problem to go along with an MVP.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    12,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    Obviously re-signing Daniel Murphy was a must. That off-season I'd wanted them to sign Murphy, trade Dilson Herrera for Aroldis Chapman, when the Reds were trying to get rid of him. Chapman would have given the Mets the chance to get Bumgarner out of last year's WC game and get to the SF bullpen, which likely would have allowed them to advance to the NLDS. The Yankees stole him from the Reds instead.

    This past off-season I wanted the Mets to take the money they used for Neil Walker and Jay Bruce and sign Jansen and Chapman. Bruce has been good but a great bullpen would have prevented the pitching implosion that ruined this season. Jansen's been unhittable this season.

    I knew lots of the Alderson draft picks wouldn't pan out and wanted to deal them 2 years ago for ML ready talent, while the Mets had a window to win. Back then Nimmo, Cecchini, etc. had trade value. Not so much anymore.

    Going further back becomes a bottomless pit of second guessing but they obviously should have signed Alex Rodriguez and Vladimir Guerrero.
    Speaking solely on Jansen, what were the rumors that he was legitimately interested in the Mets? I know that the Nets offered him more money, but he wanted to stay on the west coast and took less with the Dodgers......though $80 million is $80 million.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    22,303
    For the Yankees:

    - Trade for Cliff Lee. They didn't trade for him because they did not want to include David Adams in the deal.
    - Trade for Johan Santana. They didn't make that deal because they didn't want to give up Phil Hughes.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La Puente, CA
    Posts
    11,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I thought it was beyond obvious that we needed Jim Edmonds back with the Cardinals in 2010.

    Then the Reds barely beat us out for the division in 2010.




    A few deals that I had strong opinions on:
    I wanted to trade for Furcal in 2011, and they did.
    I wanted them to sign Beltran and let Pujols walk in 2012, and they did.
    I opposed the Berkman signing in 2011, and he was a WS hero for us.
    I opposed the Rasmus trade in 2011, and we don't win that WS without it.
    I was strongly against the trade for Theriot in 2011, and I was totally right, though we haven't missed BH at all.. Tootblans was just a waste of money and energy and was about to be DFA'd. I wanted Miguel Tejada signed for cheap, but he wasn't very good any way.
    I thought we should build a package to land Haren in 2010 and then extend him after 2011, it's debatable if we would have been better off or not.
    I wanted the Cardinals to bring Freese back to help at first and third to enter 2016. While that would have been fine, Gyroko ended up playing so well it didn't matter.
    I was angry about the Jake Westbrook trade, felt Haren or Oswalt could have been landed for a similar package.
    I felt Justin Upton could have been had by the Cardinals a number of times as well.
    Haven't been a fan of the Molina extensions and wasn't a fan of the Leake signing, neutral on the Fowler signing considering the situation.

    Additionally, I don't remember many.


    Cards have spent more time in buy mode than in sell mode, so now that they are likely to sell, it's a new territory. I do like that Moz is rather conservative though.
    I remember Mark McGwire was supposed to be traded to the Angels for Jim Edmonds in 1997.
    That deal fell through, and Big Mac was instead traded to the Cardinals.

    Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •