Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Source: NFLPA tells players to boycott Draft

An offseason turned upside down will continue to get odder.

The NFL Players Association is putting into place a plan that would prevent each top college prospect from attending next month's draft in New York, according to multiple league sources. The NFLPA already has contacted 17 top prospects that ordinarily would have received an invitation to attend the draft and informed them not to go.

Thus, when NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announces the name of the first player selected, the player will not walk on to the stage at Radio City Music Hall as has been the custom. And the player will not be there to do interviews with ESPN or NFL Network. The draft will go on, but not in the manner in which it has been conducted before.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2...ory?id=6216135

If I'm a college player, I tell the NFLPA to shove it. Why would anyone want to miss out on a once in a lifetime experience just because the players/owners are in a beef over money? Another dumb move that I'm sure was orchestrated by DeMaurice Smith.

What? That sucks. Not only for the fans watching at home, but even more so for the rookies. I know I would be stoked to walk on stage if I was a projected first round pick.

I thought they decertified and were no longer a union.....

They're gonna get hammered in court and this is example #1 of why they're still a union and the decertification was a sham.
    lr is cooler than you

Quote Originally Posted by Luxy312 View Post
    If I'm a college player, I tell the NFLPA to shove it. Why would anyone want to miss out on a once in a lifetime experience just because the players/owners are in a beef over money? Another dumb move that I'm sure was orchestrated by DeMaurice Smith.
    You act pretty tough on the interwebs but I doubt you would have the balls to tell the union that you want to get into to shove it. Unions are tough bro and they don't appreciate being disrespected like that.

100% agree if i got that call it would have sounded like this

NFLPA we would like you to skip the 2011 nfl draft

me hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah hahahahahah get ****ed

that don't screw with anyone but the kids and fans why would the owner care they still get the player.... and the only thing the NFLPA has done is made a cap for rookies they didnt fight for them lol ...even tho they needed a cap

I think they should too considering the NFLPA just screwed them over. DeMaurice Smith wasn't looking out for them when he agreed to the rookie wage scale . Negotiations have practically been non-existent with the exception of that little compromise. Now he wants their cooperation.

The new rookie wage scale is exactly why I would tell the NFLPA to get lost. What have they done for the rookies that should command them missing out on what is supposed to be a special day in their lives?

This wouldn't be hurting the owners at all, just the fans. Whoever is in charge of this operation is an idiot.

I'm sure the owners could care less if this happens, doesn't affect them at all. It will just rob the rookies of the experience. Only hurts your future union members, to me, that makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserSose View Post
    You act pretty tough on the interwebs but I doubt you would have the balls to tell the union that you want to get into to shove it. Unions are tough bro and they don't appreciate being disrespected like that.
    I would, no doubt. I negotiation $500 million litigation issues for work and that includes the occasional involvement of a union. Besides that point, the union technically doesn't exist any more. They're decertified. They don't have the authority to tell a college player to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    I think they should too considering the NFLPA just screwed them over. DeMaurice Smith wasn't looking out for them when he agreed to the rookie wage scale . Negotiations have practically been non-existent with the exception of that little compromise. Now he wants their cooperation.
    These two points are so spot on and complementary. The draftees are supposed to give up an amazing experience to help the Union that just sold them out????? Sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

I will say that I also agree with the poster who said that not boycotting could definitely result in pissing off the Union, making this a tough stance to take.

If im a potential rookie I tell the NFLPA to kiss my ***. What a godamn mess. I hate people.

I would, no doubt. I negotiation $500 million litigation issues for work and that includes the occasional involvement of a union. Besides that point, the union technically doesn't exist any more. They're decertified. They don't have the authority to tell a college player to do anything.
    This post was extremely disappointing, especially considering how on point your first post was.

First, bragging about the size of the litigation issues that you work on is just poor form and makes you sound pretty pathetic if you want to brag to people on the Internet. And I'm not saying that you are pathetic, but really why bother bragging to someone that you don't know?

Second, you missed his point completely. He wasn't saying that you are scared of unions generally. Just that there is a risk that a player will be viewed as a "scab" if they attend the draft after being told not to. The Union may be decertified, but it will exist again and that is something college players need to consider. I hope that each player makes the decision that is best for them, but they should consider these issues.

exactly what I was thinking, opportunity of a lifetime I would not skip it, nor should you even be dumb enough to ask a kid to do so.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast