Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,689
    vCash
    1500

    Is Hines Ward a Hall of Famer?

    Saw some people debating this in the Super Bowl gamethread. It seemed like most of the people who said no were only trying to reduce his impact on the upcoming Super Bowl, which seems irrelevant when looking at his entire career.

    So I'm curious about your thoughts, and how long it'll take for someone to say "hez drty nd doznt dezrve 2 b in da HOF b/c hes drty"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The O.C.
    Posts
    7,295
    vCash
    1500
    He's a Hall of Famer for sure to me. I don't see why not.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    868
    vCash
    1500
    He's not a first ballot hall of famer, that's for sure. It'll take him a few years, but he might get there. If it was 1970 he'd be there in a second, Hines is old school, we seem to have different expectations for a wide receiver now.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    24,243
    vCash
    1500
    Yes. Most definitely a Hall of Famer. Statistically better than Stallworth and Swann, just not as clutch as Swann. One of my favourite players of All Time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    from san jose reside in sacramento
    Posts
    5,098
    vCash
    1500
    He'd be first ballot imo for sure.
    FROM ORACLE ARENA TO OLDSCHOOL CANDLESTICK PARK

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Riverton,il
    Posts
    15,565
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendX View Post
    Yes. Most definitely a Hall of Famer. Statistically better than Stallworth and Swann, just not as clutch as Swann. One of my favourite players of All Time.
    Of course he's better statistically, the NFL is pass happy now. He averages almost 4.5 receptions a game to stallworth who averaged 2.25. In the late 70s teams had about 25-28 att per game. In 2010 it was near 34. How about stallworths yd/rec which is better then Hines.

    Only 2 of his comparables are in the hall of fame, and they both played in the 60s and 70s. I'm sure he'll get in, dosent mean he should be.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    24,243
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox3431 View Post
    Of course he's better statistically, the NFL is pass happy now. He averages almost 4.5 receptions a game to stallworth who averaged 2.25. In the late 70s teams had about 25-28 att per game. In 2010 it was near 34. How about stallworths yd/rec which is better then Hines.

    Only 2 of his comparables are in the hall of fame, and they both played in the 60s and 70s. I'm sure he'll get in, dosent mean he should be.
    True, but considering its the Steelers its hard for a WR to be incredibly successful. You also have to take into account the fact that Hines Ward for most of his career never really had a legitimate threat opposite him, then consider he's not exactly a deep threat type of guy, then there's his ability to block and give back to the Defense what they give him. he's a great player and most certainly deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Duluth, GA
    Posts
    3,328
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendX View Post
    True, but considering its the Steelers its hard for a WR to be incredibly successful. You also have to take into account the fact that Hines Ward for most of his career never really had a legitimate threat opposite him, then consider he's not exactly a deep threat type of guy, then there's his ability to block and give back to the Defense what they give him. he's a great player and most certainly deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.
    Not only that, but he had Kordell Stewart throwing him the ball for the first five years of his career. That'll stunt any WR's numbers. His versatility has to be a feather in his hat, though, as does being a Super Bowl MVP. He also has the numbers to go with the accolades. Here are some nifty charts to illustrate this...

    Receptions

    Current all-time ranking: 8th
    To enter the top five: 124

    Receiving yards

    Current all-time ranking: 21st
    To enter the top 20: 132
    To enter the top 15: 761
    To enter the top 10: 1,680

    TD receptions

    Current all-time ranking: 19th
    To enter the top 15: 1
    To enter the top 10: 5

    By the time his career is done, he could be in the top five in receptions, and the top 10 in receiving yards and TD receptions. Not bad for a guy who dealt with mediocre QBs for the first half of his career.

    Anyway, I don't think he'll get in on the first ballot, but I do think he'll get in within 10 years of eligibility.
    Last edited by DBR96A; 01-28-2011 at 05:08 AM.
    "...more talking went on between us all until [Roethlisberger and his entourage] left the bar. Then I seperated with [name redacted] and the other girls and went with another group, and everything else happened, and I was told about it this morning and felt I needed to give my statement. Looking back and hearing all of the details, it seems to me that it was a set-up, and so I think this needed to be told."

    -Victoria Garofalo, Zeta Tau Alpha sorority sister, in a statement to the GBI

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,096
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Not only that, but he had Kordell Stewart throwing him the ball for the first five years of his career. That'll stunt any WR's numbers. His versatility has to be a feather in his hat, though, as does being a Super Bowl MVP. He also has the numbers to go with the accolades. Here are some nifty charts to illustrate this...

    Receptions

    Current all-time ranking: 8th
    To enter the top five: 124

    Receiving yards

    Current all-time ranking: 21st
    To enter the top 20: 132
    To enter the top 15: 761
    To enter the top 10: 1,680

    TD receptions

    Current all-time ranking: 19th
    To enter the top 15: 1
    To enter the top 10: 5

    By the time his career is done, he could be in the top five in receptions, and the top 10 in receiving yards and TD receptions. Not bad for a guy who dealt with mediocre QBs for the first half of his career.

    Anyway, I don't think he'll get in on the first ballot, but I do think he'll get in within 10 years of eligibility.
    But he wont' be by the time he is eligible for the HOF. By then he will have been surpassed by guys on those lists. Just look at Ark Monk he was #1 in receptions and yards when he retired and is now 10th and 14th....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    537
    vCash
    1500
    Yes. To me he is a Hall of Famer.
    LETS GO METS!!!!!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NEW JERSEY
    Posts
    7,375
    vCash
    1500
    John Stallworth once made the Pro Bowl making 8 catches for a 100yds

    Hines Ward will take some time to get into the HoF, he is in the hall of the "very good" but he will eventually get in after Brown, Carter, etc.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,210
    vCash
    1500

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •