Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

The Next Time a Player Transfers, Remember This

LSU's ship has two men too many, so Elliott Porter walks the plank

By Matt Hinton

Like all rules (especially when it comes to recruiting), the NCAA's 25-scholarship cap in any given recruiting class can be massaged to accommodate a few minor overages. LSU, for example, inked 29 players in its latest crop in February. Two of that number had already enrolled early for the spring semester, thus counting against the Tigers' slightly less crowded 2009 cap. Another player or two can always be counted on to cull themselves from the remaining 27 via academics, legal issues or old-fashioned teenage flakiness of one variety or another. If the incoming crop is still too large to fit under the 25-man cap (or the 85-man scholarship cap for the entire roster) by the time the season rolls around, the unlikely-to-contribute players at the bottom of the incoming class will be asked to "grayshirt," dutifully delaying their enrollment (or paying their own way) for a semester, until there's room for them in the next class.

It's standard operating procedure, and players usually take their grayshirt without (public) complaint. It's only when the rare snub speaks up that we're reminding how fundamentally slimy the process really is. LSU offensive lineman Elliott Porter, effectively cut from the roster Tuesday when all 27 Tiger signees showed up for the start of training camp in good legal and academic standing, is one of the latter group:

"I got called to coach Miles' office. I had no idea it was coming," Porter said of his being asked by LSU to 'grayshirt' this season and re-enroll next year. "He just told me that they didn't have room for me. I moved out of my dorm today and I am now back home trying to figure everything out. It's been a rough 24 hours."

Porter has received a release from LSU and is free to go to any school he chooses. In order to be eligible somewhere else, Porter has to win an appeal. "I have to win a waiver, but it shouldn't be a problem," Porter said. "It's unfair how they told me at the last minute."

Uh, yeah. According to Rivals, Porter had been committed to LSU since last July, meaning he went an entire year – through his senior season, signing day, his high school graduation, an entire summer and move-in day on campus – assuming he had a secure position on Miles' team. He reportedly turned down other offers from Florida State, Nebraska, Stanford, Texas Tech and a dozen other I-A/FBS schools based on that assumption, only to have the rug pulled out from under him at the last possible second. Again, as far as the NCAA is concerned, this is perfectly on the up-and-up.

As consistent oversigning critic Brian Cook argues today, it probably shouldn't be. Last year, the SEC passed the "Houston Nutt Rule," limiting conference schools to 28 signees in any given year after Ole Miss inked a whopping 37 in February 2009 with the explicit intention of either grayshirting or diverting a full third of the class straight to junior college. The cap (modeled on a longstanding limit in the Big Ten) was specifically designed to prevent hoarding of the variety that leaves guys like Elliott Porter and roughly 10-15 percent of Alabama's roster in the cold every year.

The next logical step in the "Nutt Rule" is to forbid overages altogether, forcing the program to identify a specific, available scholarship for every player before signing them to a letter of intent, which locks the player into the school, but not vice versa. Coaches will howl, but anything short of that is a one-way "commitment" that leaves non-elite players open to a last-second sacking.

Porter appears likely to land on his feet: He was immediately rumored to looking at Tennessee, which has room in its latest class, and admitted today he was "giving small consideration" to accepting the grayshirt at LSU, because he senses Miles genuinely wants him there. He acknowledges that "it's a business, the way things go." But that can't be right, because a real business would pay the players and pay taxes. One of the main points of the "amateurism" the NCAA strives so hard to uphold is that it's not supposed to be so cold.
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...aining-content

It's sad that this happens more than you'd expect, at schools all over.
    "Hitting is better than sex." Reggie Jackson

“The only reason I don't like playing in the World Series is I can't watch myself play." Reggie Jackson

vCash

vCash
    What a joke.
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    This happens all the time. It's nothing new from what I understand.

It's a dirty, cold-hearted thing to do, but it's business.

vCash
    This happened to me .. well, sort of .. same concept
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsFan_1 View Post
    This happens all the time. It's nothing new from what I understand.

It's a dirty, cold-hearted thing to do, but it's business.
    It wouldn't be a problem if NCAA was a true business, but only the people at the top are paid and receive benefits. Instead, the players are forced to fight for playing time and if they don't receive it and try to transfer, they are forced to sit out a year (if they transfer to another BCS school).

So the people getting screwed in all this are the players, who are the reason the NCAA and schools make money.
    "Hitting is better than sex." Reggie Jackson

“The only reason I don't like playing in the World Series is I can't watch myself play." Reggie Jackson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    This happened to me .. well, sort of .. same concept
    Its wrong in both situations, however, this kid was committed to LSU his entire senior year, and turned down multiple D-1 offers in the process. If I remember correctly, you weren't offered until several months after the season. This kid REALLY got screwed over, while you were only semi-screwed.
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    This does suck for the players. They should definitely put a cap on scholarships. Give the smaller programs a chance to sign these kids that the bigger schools don't even care about.

vCash
    Notice its mostly the SEC schools that we hear about though UF, Alabama, LSU..

Another example: http://oversigning.com/testing/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Its wrong in both situations, however, this kid was committed to LSU his entire senior year, and turned down multiple D-1 offers in the process. If I remember correctly, you weren't offered until several months after the season. This kid REALLY got screwed over, while you were only semi-screwed.
    I'd would much, much rather be in his situation. I was at my school for a semester. Got comfortable, had to leave behind people I care about, one person in particular that would be reason alone I'd be willing to go back... then essentially forced to leave so they could bring in more transfers in a situation just like this. It's ****ed up either way and it happens in multiple situations, multiple times a year, at big and small schools across the country. May be more frequent at SEC schools, but it definitely happens everywhere.
    Last edited by .Sean.; 08-05-2010 at 11:07 AM.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldChamps1908 View Post
    Notice its mostly the SEC schools that we hear about though UF, Alabama, LSU..

Another example: http://oversigning.com/testing/
    that's because the SEC is overflowing with talent compared to other conferences
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!