Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Creative offseason or no playoffs.

I don't see us making the playoffs next year with the current lineup. Though, I still think we are better than the Wild and Oil in our division and pretty par on with the Avs and worse than the Canucks though we play them tough all the time, its the rest of the conference that is catching up. Its tough to see into the next season when the draft and offseason hasn't even started, but I can name 8 teams better than us going into next season.

Locks for playoffs: Wings, Hawks, Kings, Canucks

Competing for playoffs: Sharks, Yotes, Preds, Ducks, Blues, Jackets, Avs, Stars

There's 12 teams that are stiff competition for us next year. I don't see us finishing ahead of any of the locks, and probably not the Sharks depending what happens this offseason.

We have no scoring. People say we need a playmaker to play with Iginla and that should be a priority. But what happens every year is that its just Iginla's line that does all the scoring. We need some depth, or a second line threat. Anything. I'm not expecting any type of big season from Moss, Langkow, Stajan or any of the other scrubs we have outside of Iginla and Bourque.

I think we're in big trouble this season, and could see a lot of big changes if we **** the bed out of the gate and throughout the year, including going through our own rebuild and possibily trading Iginla, Regher.... and of course firing the entire management.

We have **** for prospects outside of defense and Backlund so there really isn't any farm help or much to look forward to in the future, not to mention we don't have a 1st this draft.

How do we make us more competitive offensively, without giving up much defensively? It's been the million dollar question for Sutter since he's been here, and since we can't fire him and his brother, what signings, trades, releases, call-ups would you consider or do?

vCash
    Here's the salary situation for next year and years forward:

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.p...GY&season=0910

Here's a link to our AHL affiliate with this years stats:

http://www.abbotsfordheat.com/SportS...8&SPSID=593485

We have the 27th ranked farm in the league, so for whatever it's worth, here's our top 20 specs:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/calgary_flames

Mikael Backlund, C
    Greg Nemisz, RW
    Tim Erixon, D
    John Negrin, D
    T.J. Brodie, D
    Ryan Howse, LW
    Mitch Wahl, C
    Matt Pelech, D
    Leland Irving, G
    Matt Keetley, G
    Keith Seabrook, D
    Kris Chucko, LW
    Lance Bouma, LW
    Brett Sutter, C
    Gord Baldwin, D
    Henrik Bjorklund, RW
    Aaron Marvin, C
    J.D. Watt, RW
    Joni Ortio, G
    Gaelan Patterson, C

vCash
    The Flames definitely do have to be creative. The first thing they should do is fire Sutter so he cant sign guys like Stajan to long term contracts but Ian White should probably be trade bait for a set up man center. Regehr could be trade bait too for offensive help. They probably have to be creative but the moves they have made put them in an impossible position. Stajan is a bum and Bourque is now overpaid as well. There are no roster spots with Langkow as an un-movable contract, no first round pick. No nothing.

Flames should probably blow it up now while they have the chance but they wont.

vCash
    Are they going to fire Sutter is the question?

vCash
    *sigh* it all went down hill ever since we traded phanuef. It was a stupid panic move. We traded a franchise corner stone who will be in the league for another 10 years+. Most ******** move in the last 5 year imo.

vCash
    Nah it was the Jokinen deal (to Calgary not to New York) that screwaed the franchise. They gave up this years first and got a guy who performed badly, sucked in the playoffs, took up cap room and made it so they couldnt resign Camm

vCash
    Getting Boumeester screwed them...they didnt need him
    they had phaneuf...I love him on the leafs, he is helping change them and being named captain tomorrow is good
    Ian white was the only worthy player they got for phaneuf though
    and a bunch of useless bottom six guys...stajan wont be the first line center for Iginla, might as well keep langkow even though a little pricey...Hagman is too inconsistent to be the their second goal scorer after iginla. They need a legitimate playmaker
    Blow it up before everyone gets old...and in these cases overpaid, no one will reach their full offensive potential as a flame

vCash
    If you want to compare the Phanuef trade, compare it to the Blue Jays giving Alex Rios away for nothing. Could you have gotten more? Probably. But you just wanted to get rid of him. It's not necessarily bad management. It's just the fact that nobody could take on that contract, and we just wanted him to **** off.

What ****ed us is trading for Jokinen and letting Cammalleri go. We finally found someone who could play with Iginla and we let him go FA.

vCash
    ^^and giving Matt Stajan an extension and a no-trade at about 2 million over his worth. And probably giving Bourque over 3 with a no-trade. And taking on Kotalik's contract when someone would have given you prospects for an expiring Jokinen. And then also taking on Staios.

Sutter should be fired. Getting rid of an upset Phaneuf and getting 2 top 6 forwards and a top 4 defenceman is one thing and not necessarily a terrible move but in a 3 strike system there are 4 strikes right there...maybe only 3.

vCash
    ^^ I'm not disagreeing with any of that. The Stajan deal was stupid. We essentially turned a 1st rounder, Lombardi and Prust into Kotalik and Higgins. Absolutely terrible. I wouldn't have minded the Bourque signing if it wasn't for as long as he signed for (6 years???).

I'm not going to jump ship until probably the beginning of December. I'm willing to let it play out, but by no means does that mean I'm optimistic.

Rest assured, Sutter will be fired if we're not in the playoffs picture by December.

vCash
    The funny thing is that the Flames are probably a playoff contender without even doing anything. If JayBo has a better season then it will be interesting. The defence is strong with JayBo, Regehr, Giordano, and hopefully Ian White who I dont think they can afford. The offence still has Iginla and I think Hagman could score at least close to 30 goals with the right linemates and he could be an X-factor for them next season. The biggest issue is down the middle unless Backlund figures it out fast because Stajan-Langkow isn't going to get it done.

vCash
    There's too many X factors for this team though. I don't expect Boumeester to be as bad as he was last year, but can Bourque stay healthy for an entire season? I think the bar for Stajan should be 25 goals and 60-70 points, considering what role is envisioned for him (I'm assuming they want him centering Iginla). Can he do that? Langkow needs to have a good year. Hagman needs to be a 25-30 goal guy. I'd like to see a full year of Backlund. What do Kotalik and Higgins do?

And most importantly, what do Iginla and Kiprusoff do? Iginla at 69 points last year and only 32 goals. Is that because he had no one to play with? Good players usually find ways to do it themselves. I think he's in regression, but he's not a 60s point player yet. Kiprusoff had a 2.31 GAA and a .920 SV%, statistically his best year since 05/06. IMO there's no way you can expect him to do that again. Really, he was the only reason we stuck around the playoffs hunt till the end of the year.

The stars will really need to align for this team to grind out a playoffs birth. But, who knows.

vCash
    The Calgary Flames are bringing back Olli Jokinen as he has signed a two-year/$6 million contract.
    The Flames need a center but Jokinen did not work out last season when they played him with Jarome Iginla. Maybe the signing of Alex Tanguay will make all the difference in the world to placate Iginla, but the signing is awfully strange considering how much trouble Jokinen was perceived to have caused in the Calgary dressing room last season. We suggest letting someone else draft him next season, unless you get him very late in the draft.
    Source: TSN.ca
    Wednesday, 30.06.2010 / 7:24 PM / News
    calgaryflames.com
    Calgary, AB - Calgary Flames General Manager Darryl Sutter announced today the acquisition of forward Logan MacMillan as well as a contingent 7th round draft choice in 2013 form the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for Jason Jaffray and a contingent 7th round draft choice in 2013.

MacMillan, a first round draft choice (19th overall) of the Anaheim Ducks in 2007, joined the Abbotsford Heat of the American Hockey League late in the 2009-10 season and appeared in seven games.

The 6’1”, 205 lb winger played five seasons in the QMJHL with Halifax and Rimouski. He was a member of the Rimouski Oceanic who competed in the 2009 Memorial Cup Tournament.
    Calgary Flames agree to a one-year deal with Alex Tanguay
    Thursday, 01.07.2010 / 12:51 PM / News
    calgaryflames.com
    Calgary, AB - Calgary Flames General Manager Darryl Sutter announced today the signing of forward Alex Tanguay to a one year contract.

Tanguay rejoins the Flames after playing two seasons with the club during 2006-07 and 2007-08. The Ste, Justine, Quebec native recorded a career high for points with 81 during the 06-07 campaign, finishing second to Jarome Iginla. His 59 assists led the team in that category. In 739 career NHL games, the former first round selection, has posted 617 points (203 goals, 414 assists) and 377 penalty minutes.

The 6’1” 190 lbs. forward has appeared in 98 NHL career playoff games posting 59 points (19 goals, 40 assists). During the 2001 playoffs Tanguay captured a Stanley Cup with the Colorado Avalanche posting 21 points in 23 post season games.
    Why? Why the **** would we want Jokinen or Tanguay? If we wanted to bring players back we should've brought Lombardi back. Sutter has lost it. Get him out.

vCash
    Tanguay I can get, but not Jokinen.

vCash
    Tim Jackman and Raitis Ivanans sign two-year contracts
    Friday, 02.07.2010 / 11:51 AM / News
    calgaryflames.com
    Calgary, AB - Calgary Flames General Manager Darryl Sutter announced today the signing of forward Tim Jackman to a two year contract and of forward Raitis Ivanans to a two year contract.

Jackman was drafted in the second round, 38th overall in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft by the Columbus Blue Jackets. The 6’4” 210 pound forward has played the past two seasons with the New York Islanders, leading his team in penalty minutes each year and in hits (151) during the 2008-09 campaign. In 191 NHL career games, the native of Minot, ND has recorded 28 points and 357 penalty minutes.

TIM JACKMAN

Right Wing

BORN: Minot, ND (November 14, 1981)

HEIGHT: 6’4” WEIGHT: 210 lbs.

SHOOTS: Right

DRAFTED: Columbus – 2nd round, 38th overall, in the 2001 Entry Draft

HOW ACQUIRED: Signed as free agent on July 2, 2010.

Raitis Ivanans, a native of Riga, Latvia, made his NHL debut in 2005 with the Montreal Canadiens. The 31 year old left winger has since gone on to play 280 NHL games accumulating 564 penalty minutes. He signed as a free agent with Los Angeles in 2006 and played four seasons with the Kings, leading the team in penalty minutes each year.

The 6’4”, 240 pound Ivanans was a member of the 2004 Calder Cup Champion Milwaukee Admirals and represented Latvia at the 2008 IIHF World Championships.

RAITIS IVANAS

Left Wing

BORN: Riga, Latvia (January 3, 1979)

HEIGHT: 6’4” WEIGHT: 240 lbs.

SHOOTS: Left

HOW ACQUIRED: Signed as free agent on July 2, 2010.
    Couple more scrubs, including Ivanas who's another scrapper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast