Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

JV, Zimm, and Sanchez

Well it took them most of the year but these vet's seem to have picked it up a notch lately. With Zimm's game last night that gives him 3 out of 4 of his last starts being quality starts (6+ innings with 3 or less runs). Last night he looked like the guy we signed to $110M contract. If he can stay the course the rest of the way that would be really nice to see. JV has outdone Zimm as he has had 5 quality starts in a row now. His WHIP in these games is a much better 1.19 compared to his 1.44 WHIP for the year. He started this run after getting blasted by Cleveland on July 2nd so it would be nice to see him continue for the year. Lastly, the forgotten man (Anibal Sanchez) has been pulling his weight as 6 of his last 8 starts he's gone at least 6 innings and given up less than 3 runs. The two games he didn't he got rocked but he's looked pretty good in the 6 other games.

All this above and we are still only 5-5 in our last 10 games, so the team is still bad but these vet pitchers are doing their part lately and it's actually nice to see.

Yeah it's great to see. I just hope they can stay healthy. That will be a major factor gonna forward... Because these guys are all gonna be Tigers for a while.

I have high hopes for JV and jz... I can't say the same about Sanchez. He was bad for multiple years... As opposed to jz who was basically just bad this year.

too little too late

and just in time for them to **** our draft position

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    Congrats to Ahoda on winning "PSD 2015 Post of the year!" ... What a huge honor it is to have you contribute to our forum. I hope you post twice as much in 2016 & give us twice the quality posts & twice the laughter!

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    Yeah it's great to see. I just hope they can stay healthy. That will be a major factor gonna forward... Because these guys are all gonna be Tigers for a while.

I have high hopes for JV and jz... I can't say the same about Sanchez. He was bad for multiple years... As opposed to jz who was basically just bad this year.
    Sanchez is as good as gone at the end of the year anyway. I just hope JZ can be solid for the duration of the contract. It'll still be an overpay but it wouldn't be as harmful as it looked early in the year.

Wonder if there's a team in the race saying "dang we could have had Verlander" Another great game, 6 in a row now?, from JV.

I would imagine so.

And if they didn't see it coming or at least didn't think it was likely, then they are dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    Wonder if there's a team in the race saying "dang we could have had Verlander" Another great game, 6 in a row now?, from JV.

It's probably less than 1% probability, but I believe he can still be traded.

Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    I think this off season is when the best chance he gets unloaded. But in the end, he's an iconic player for this organization and should be a lifer.

Congrats to Ahoda on winning "PSD 2015 Post of the year!" ... What a huge honor it is to have you contribute to our forum. I hope you post twice as much in 2016 & give us twice the quality posts & twice the laughter!

Sounds like Houston is interested in Verlander. I also think its time to just let Sanchez go. Lets see what one or two of the young guys can do the rest of the way. Why keep throwing AS out there ? He clearly doesn't have anything to offer going foward.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Sounds like Houston is interested in Verlander. I also think its time to just let Sanchez go. Lets see what one or two of the young guys can do the rest of the way. Why keep throwing AS out there ? He clearly doesn't have anything to offer going foward.

Is there any younger player to insert into the rotation? Seems like he's just there to eat up innings at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Is there any younger player to insert into the rotation? Seems like he's just there to eat up innings at this point.
    I was thinking once Norris was healthy they may get rid of Sanchez, especially after his last outing. I will also point out that IF Avila could have gotten anything (even half of his salary paid) at the deadline when he strung together a couple good outings, he should be fired for not taking it.

Also, there are a lot of good young arms right now at Toledo. I've been trying to get there to watch some games because of it. For a starter other than Norris, look at Josh Turley and Artie Lewicki. Both are having really nice years on the mound. Since Jimenez is blowing his chance, it's time to see the other young bullpen arms like Zac Reininger (RH), Bryan Garcia who was just recently called up (RH), Jeff Ferrell an older guy at 26 (RH), or the young lefty Labourt. All are doing quite well at Toledo.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    It's probably less than 1% probability, but I believe he can still be traded.
    Well, the Astro's are still sniffing around. One of the problems is that Fisher, Tucker, and Marte (their top prospects) are all on the 40 man roster so they would have to clear waivers. While not entirely impossible, I could do a deal without them. Here's two deals I'd take:

Forrest Whitley (RHP) and Miles Straw (CF)

or

Yordan Alvarez (OF/1B), Hector Perez (RHP), and Miles Straw (CF)

Forrest Whitley is by far the best arm in their system so they might be reluctant to trade him but not being able to take Marte instead might push to include Whitley. The Straw kid is exactly what I want at Comerica Park. A scrappy CF with speed who gets on base (incredible .414 on base). He's really underrated in their system. He won't hit for power but the kid can get on base in front of guys that do have power. I'd want him in any deal we do with Houston.

^^ I would not be opposed to getting the Astros top pitching prospect.