Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Making a case for Matt Kemp

I read that the Dodgers are desperately trying to trade Matt Kemp and looked into how the Tigers could benefit from a trade for him. It is said that they would attach prospect(s) to the deal. Our payroll being lower this year and having a veteran manager like Gardenhire on board, I thought that this just might work out for us and help our rebuild.

I know that taking on a 34 year old doesnít seem like it would help the rebuild but two things stick out to me. One, we could possibly get some very good prospects with Kemp to add to our improving prospect list (LA has some quality prospects). Two, Kemp is still only 34 and if Gardenhire can take him under his wing and turn the attitude/production around, we may be able to turn him over to contender to get more prospects. Kemp really wasnít awful last year and he still has talent there to be exposed so might be worth the risk. There are a lot of things that would have to align here though. He would have to be more of model citizen (rumor is he wasnít a good teammate on the bench in Atlanta), he would have to up his production, and stay healthy. He batted .276 with 19 homers last year but only had a .318 on base with ZERO stolen bases (come on from a guy that use to steal 40 you think he could steal at least one) in 115 games. He has only played in 100, 56, and 115 games the last 3 years so that needs to get higher as well.

As for the attitude and bench issues, I think this is where the grandfatherly Gardenhire earns his keep. If he can get this guy steered right and focused by dangling a carrot of going to a contender, again it may work to our advantage.

Hereís my proposal, we trade for Kemp and get two (2) of the following player or maybe Heredia (see below) and a fringe top 30 guy (preferably young with upside). The Dodgers take on Victor Martinezís contract and we throw in someone like Buck Farmer, Warwick Saupold, or even JaCoby Jones. This would work out money wise to us taking on $25M for two years (hopefully only one with a trade of Kemp) of Kemp but we get the prospects. The Dodgers can then pay out Victor and save $25M.

Hereís the prospect(s) I think we could get in the trade:

1.Sterling Heredia, OF- 18 years old and in a manís body already. Is at low A ball and put up some pretty good numbers between rookie ball and class A: .325 BA, .397 OB, 7 HR, and 10 SB. I think the Dodgers might part with him due to having three other outfielders ranked above Herediaís 11th ranking.
    2.Edwin Rios, 3B/1B/2B- heís their 15th ranked prospect and has played all over the infield. Very good athlete who at 23 is already at AAA. Great power with 24 HRís but still has a good average (.309 BA/.362 OB).
    3.James Marinan, RHP- 19 years old and the 19th rated prospect. Projects as a starter. Throws hard but needs to reel in the control yet. Was 2-0 with a 1.59 ERA in the rookie league this year.
    4.Christian Santana, 3B/1B/2B- another good young athlete who can be used in multiple places. I think he even played some outfield in the past. Heís only 20 and has shown good power with average numbers so far.

So there you have it. What do you think?

Dodgers want to dump Kemp so they can sign Darvish. They wouldn't want another high money vet back in return.

Agree, it would be buying a prospect. Tigers pay Kemp and Dodgers send a prospect and then go sign Darvish. If the Tigers take him on it wonít be with an eye towards him returning to glory and an article I read said they may even release him.

Is Kemp even being paid that much by the Dodgers? I thought a different team was paying the majority of his contract...

If they're willing to attach prospects as you say, sure why not. Can't imagine Victor would be any part of it, is his trade value the lowest of any player in the entire league?

Wait, who's trade value is lower, Victor or Big Mig? Serious question. They are both probably 99% untradeable so it's hard to even come up with an idea, but if we're throwing around ways to get Kemp and prospects, why not get silly

I think it's victor because miggy still has potential upside.

Wasn't little Illitch hell bent on saving money the last couple of seasons? I doubt he cares enough about a prospects or two to want to spend that much cash.
    Lions #1 draft need: New ownership