Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

How do you feel about the 2017 Tigers?

Well, the forum is dead right now, which is expected but I'm trying to see how ya'll feel about this team.

I bailed on this team early last season. I've committed so much time to this team during the World Series/ALCS loss years when I watched almost every single game from start to finish and I just could not muster up the will to watch them suck last year. It just pisses me off. Like, if they were the Lions, or the Pistons, I could take it. Those are both developing franchises that need more to actually win the title. And while this team also needs more to win the title, they also shouldn't be a fringe playoff team. They have so much talent and it annoys me beyond belief because it feels like their chance to get the WS with guys like Miggy/JV has pretty much dwindled to 0% at this point. Bothers me that we just didn't get there. The only team that was worth being interested in detroit-wise (at least this decade anyway) got so close, and is now just consistently falling deeper down a hole. Just kills me to see it. Like, if they bailed on Miggy, and JV, and whoever the hell else, traded em all, blew it up, I'd watch the young guys play every day, but it feels like more so I'm seeing a consistent fall at this point, rather than growth. But whatever.

Enough about the past, I guess. I think this year will ultimately come down to health. We just need luck to break our way health wise. We need everybody that matters from Miggy and JV to K Rod and whoever our bum starting CFer will be to be healthy for the whole season. That's the only way I see us contending to and through the deadline. If we suck like we have the last 2 years, I don't see how they don't just give up and start selling at the deadline. I've said this 1000x on here, but I just don't see how they intend to go past the deadline in limbo considering they risk losing multiple good/great players in the next 2 seasons for nothing (many can walk in FA). I'm not big on Ausmus and I try to sell myself on him over and over, but he's our guy I guess. It's really hopeless, but we just need everything to break our way, and maybe it'll happen. Maybe we'll have a 2013 red sox season and just everything works out. That's my hope. I know the Tigers have some legit elite talent with some good talent that supplements, but for some reason that just hasn't been enough.

TL;DR: Hopefully we get lucky and just make a run.

Off-topic: hope the tigers are good enough to where this forum is a bit more active this year. I know last year even when they were threatening to make a run, this forum was kinda dead (and it had been trending that way). I do enjoy the chats/debates/topics on here. Luckily most of ya'll are over on Lions PSD so I catch ya'll there quite a bit, but some obviously aren't there. This isn't an indictment on anybody, I don't blame ya'll for not being here. ****, I haven't been on this site for months, and during the season I was rarely here other than to rant. I just hope the Tigers make a run we can rally around, get our forum a bit more active. Make it a bit more fun like it was a couple years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Zspooner View Post
    Well, the forum is dead right now, which is expected but I'm trying to see how ya'll feel about this team.

I bailed on this team early last season. I've committed so much time to this team during the World Series/ALCS loss years when I watched almost every single game from start to finish and I just could not muster up the will to watch them suck last year. It just pisses me off. Like, if they were the Lions, or the Pistons, I could take it. Those are both developing franchises that need more to actually win the title. And while this team also needs more to win the title, they also shouldn't be a fringe playoff team. They have so much talent and it annoys me beyond belief because it feels like their chance to get the WS with guys like Miggy/JV has pretty much dwindled to 0% at this point. Bothers me that we just didn't get there. The only team that was worth being interested in detroit-wise (at least this decade anyway) got so close, and is now just consistently falling deeper down a hole. Just kills me to see it. Like, if they bailed on Miggy, and JV, and whoever the hell else, traded em all, blew it up, I'd watch the young guys play every day, but it feels like more so I'm seeing a consistent fall at this point, rather than growth. But whatever.

Enough about the past, I guess. I think this year will ultimately come down to health. We just need luck to break our way health wise. We need everybody that matters from Miggy and JV to K Rod and whoever our bum starting CFer will be to be healthy for the whole season. That's the only way I see us contending to and through the deadline. If we suck like we have the last 2 years, I don't see how they don't just give up and start selling at the deadline. I've said this 1000x on here, but I just don't see how they intend to go past the deadline in limbo considering they risk losing multiple good/great players in the next 2 seasons for nothing (many can walk in FA). I'm not big on Ausmus and I try to sell myself on him over and over, but he's our guy I guess. It's really hopeless, but we just need everything to break our way, and maybe it'll happen. Maybe we'll have a 2013 red sox season and just everything works out. That's my hope. I know the Tigers have some legit elite talent with some good talent that supplements, but for some reason that just hasn't been enough.

TL;DR: Hopefully we get lucky and just make a run.

Off-topic: hope the tigers are good enough to where this forum is a bit more active this year. I know last year even when they were threatening to make a run, this forum was kinda dead (and it had been trending that way). I do enjoy the chats/debates/topics on here. Luckily most of ya'll are over on Lions PSD so I catch ya'll there quite a bit, but some obviously aren't there. This isn't an indictment on anybody, I don't blame ya'll for not being here. ****, I haven't been on this site for months, and during the season I was rarely here other than to rant. I just hope the Tigers make a run we can rally around, get our forum a bit more active. Make it a bit more fun like it was a couple years back.
    PSD used to be the place to go to back in the day. That Jeffy25 mod ruined it here. This place is a ghost town now and a shell of what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard_Zinn View Post
    PSD used to be the place to go to back in the day. That Jeffy25 mod ruined it here. This place is a ghost town now and a shell of what it used to be.
    How did he ruin it?
    ***DID YOU KNOW?***
    In exchange for Barry Sanders, Ndamukong Suh & Calvin Johnson, the Detroit Lions received.......one comp pick.

Will they lose Stafford the Same Old Lions way too?

haha I remember that guy, yeah he had some prickishness to him

but as far as the state of this season, I'm not optimistic, it really feels like we're in the "uh oh here we go" phase of an aging team that can't compete anymore.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking this will be a bad year and if we don't acquire good enough prospects we'll be in a long *** rut again like the 90s/2000s.

I'm not in a dream world thinking Avila can pull what the Cubs did, it would be awesome, but it's pretty impossible to replicate that, Theo is on another level. I'm with spooner though, maybe, just MAYBE we can pull a miracle out of our *** this year, maybe the young pitchers all progress, and JV/Big Mig stay healthy and solid, but man if that doesn't happen, this could get so ugly

You know damn well that we'll stay just competitive enough that we won't end up trading anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    haha I remember that guy, yeah he had some prickishness to him

but as far as the state of this season, I'm not optimistic, it really feels like we're in the "uh oh here we go" phase of an aging team that can't compete anymore.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking this will be a bad year and if we don't acquire good enough prospects we'll be in a long *** rut again like the 90s/2000s.

I'm not in a dream world thinking Avila can pull what the Cubs did, it would be awesome, but it's pretty impossible to replicate that, Theo is on another level. I'm with spooner though, maybe, just MAYBE we can pull a miracle out of our *** this year, maybe the young pitchers all progress, and JV/Big Mig stay healthy and solid, but man if that doesn't happen, this could get so ugly
    Yeah, my summary feels 100% like last season's. We just need luck at this point. The team isn't going to get any better talent wise at this point whether it be through player or manager. Maybe they add some middling guys at the deadline, but unless something insane happens, we're riding or dying with this team. Probably dying.

I'm next expecting a good season tbh. Bull pen is still in shambles and I expect a down year for JV as his career is winding down. Team won't trade anything off because no one will want anything outside of JD.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    Congrats to Ahoda on winning "PSD 2015 Post of the year!" ... What a huge honor it is to have you contribute to our forum. I hope you post twice as much in 2016 & give us twice the quality posts & twice the laughter!

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    You know damn well that we'll stay just competitive enough that we won't end up trading anybody.
    This is pretty much my expectation for this season. I can see a mirror image of last season.
    ***DID YOU KNOW?***
    In exchange for Barry Sanders, Ndamukong Suh & Calvin Johnson, the Detroit Lions received.......one comp pick.

Will they lose Stafford the Same Old Lions way too?

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    I'm next expecting a good season tbh. Bull pen is still in shambles and I expect a down year for JV as his career is winding down. Team won't trade anything off because no one will want anything outside of JD.
    Yeah I can't believe we pretty much have the same pen as last yr going in to this spring... I think the success of our pen this year could come down to a couple young kids

Rondon... If he can be as dominant as some think he can be and take over the 8th inning role
    Joe Jiminez... They say this kid if a flame thrower like Rondon and could be our future closer...7th inning guy by mid season?

But of course they could both end up sucking this year and there goes my theory.... But as always lets hope for the best!!!!

Jiminez should just start with the big club from the get go. He's a flame thrower like Rondon but he actually has command.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of our main late inning options sooner than expected

This team does have the making of a championship team though.

Superstar vets, exciting young rookies. Should be a very interesting season to say the least. I'd believe anything from 4th in the central to WS champs