Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Top 5 GM Candidates

My advise to Chris Illitch is to clean house for both Red Wings and Tigers front office and coaching staffs but for this thread I will stick just with the Tigers. The Tigers have been horribly run for a while now and Avila (as much as I like the guy) has proven to be a disaster as a GM. Keeping Asmus, announcing he's cutting salary and trading players (lowering their value), bad FA signings, not looking at the international market AT ALL, and the lack of stones to do anything about this underachieving team has just led me to believe he's not the man to do this make over. So here are my top 5 GM candidates for Chris Illitch to look at for the Tigers. All are either the VP of Baseball Operations or Assistant GM:

1. Matt Arnold (38)- currently in Milwaukee where they have turned that team around. What I like best, however, is he was part of that successful front office group in TB when they were tearing it up. He had his hands in a lot of player development, movement, and the draft.

2. Jered Porter (37)- Currently in Washington working with a very good front office group but was instrumental in building that great Boston minor league system while he was with the Red Sox and before DD started trading them all away.

3. Chiam Bloom (34)- Despite his age he has been with TB for many years now working with the players development side and working his way up the chain. He's young but has a lot of experience. Also, I like anyone from the era with Maddon when TB was winning

4. Mike Elias (34)- Another guy that's young but has a lot of time in some very good systems where they actually develop players from within. He's in Houston right now where they have turned things completely around but he was also in the St. Louis system which is top notch.

5. JJ Picollo (45)- The oldest guy on the list but certainly not a slouch. He started in the Braves system which had to revamp from older to younger players (sounds like what we need to do) but he's currently also been involved in the KC transformation.

All these guys are young and have been entrenched in player development which is what we are going to need. The other thing I like is that they have connections to good teams so they can hire good guys underneath them as well.

As for new coaches, I have harped on Dave Martinez for years and I still think he's the best guy out there. He has been with the best manager in baseball, Joe Madden, for 10 years now and he's ready to be a MLB coach himself. If we go with experience then you have to look at Ron Gardenhire who is helping Torey Lovullo (who should have been our current mgr) in Arizona to success this year.

I'm not sure if I would give up on Avila so early. Ausmus needs to go for sure. With a rebuild on the horizon they need a first time manager who is eager for the challenge and has a history of working with younger ball players.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    Congrats to Ahoda on winning "PSD 2015 Post of the year!" ... What a huge honor it is to have you contribute to our forum. I hope you post twice as much in 2016 & give us twice the quality posts & twice the laughter!

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    I'm not sure if I would give up on Avila so early. Ausmus needs to go for sure. With a rebuild on the horizon they need a first time manager who is eager for the challenge and has a history of working with younger ball players.
    Ahoda, I would normally agree that a GM needs time but Avila has shown absolutely NOTHING in the way of any baseball item that makes me think he will become even an average GM. Can you name one thing, even one little thing, that he has done to improve this team? I got nothing. The guy really seems to be a nice person but he's not cut to be a GM in the MLB or for the Tigers, IMO. His player personnel moves (trades, signings, and draft) are just absolutely horrible and his salary cap skills seem to be lacking big time as well. That's a big losing combination for a GM. You can say he was hand tied but I'm not buying it. He publically announced he was going to cut payroll and everyone was available so other teams just laughed and offered really little in compensation. He traded Maybin without a plan to fix CF. It's just one thing after another. My biggest complaint is and has been that he doesn't use the international system, not at all, and that could have been a way to circumvent low picks and lower money than FA signings. I just don't want to get further behind in the obvious rebuild then we are now by keeping him a couple more years.

As for young manager for young players, I think Dave Martinez is still the guy for that position.

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2017/6/...se-of-al-avila

I read this the other day and it changed my mind on firing Avila. I think he needs a couple more seasons really to be given a fair shot. I do think the scouting department needs someone else leading because Chadd seems lost since he left Boston.

Congrats to Ahoda on winning "PSD 2015 Post of the year!" ... What a huge honor it is to have you contribute to our forum. I hope you post twice as much in 2016 & give us twice the quality posts & twice the laughter!

Avila sucks.

I can't believe people were actually happy when DD got the ax.

Fire Avila

Fire Ausmus

i think this is the farthest we've been back in the Central during June since 2008
    #QWiNNING

At the end of the day someone needs to go either Avila or Ausmus. I say both but let's be real, Avila isn't going anywhere but he better step it up and it starts with this upcoming trade deadline, he better make some good trades, blow it all up. Chris Illitch needs to put Avila on the hot seat, I'm tired of owners being to damn loyal, 3rd highest salary team or something like that playing like absolute trash.

Quote Originally Posted by jlisec01 View Post
    At the end of the day someone needs to go either Avila or Ausmus. I say both but let's be real, Avila isn't going anywhere but he better step it up and it starts with this upcoming trade deadline, he better make some good trades, blow it all up. Chris Illitch needs to put Avila on the hot seat, I'm tired of owners being to damn loyal, 3rd highest salary team or something like that playing like absolute trash.
    Same issue the Wings have, no surprise given that the Illitch family own both teams. Don't get me wrong, they have done amazing things for the city's teams but eventually that good will runs out. MY issue is the loyalty and, more so the country club mentality, if you did something good for us once you need to fail 12783536238 times before you are let go. Hence why have the Red Wings, and the Tigers to an extend, organization is loaded with ex-players. There is no dissenting voice or opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Avila sucks.

I was happy. And I still don't like him. He created this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    I was happy. And I still don't like him. He created this mess.
    He brought Cabrera, Scherzer & Fulmer to Detroit in trades. He gets a pass on his failures.

"According to Avila, the Tigers won’t actively pursue any deals, but they will listen to offers and see if the right deals fall into their lap"

Is this really what you want from a GM? The guy shows no savvy, business sense, or sense of urgency. What he should be saying is NOTHING right now. Shut your mouth to the press and go work the dang phones. SELL your guys to other teams don't let them snicker you down on your own guys. If he thinks sitting back and letting it come to him will help deals, he's nuts. He needs to be working the lines, bargaining to get rid of high contracts, and being creative to do so. I think if packaged right, you may be able to get Kinsler, Upton, and others previously thought to be not tradable traded. Good GM's find a way......so I'm sure Avila will sit pat and not get anything done. If he does and the deals are good, I'll be the first one on this thread to say so but here's my prediction:

1. trade JD for less value than we all think.
    2. will not trade his son at the height of his most possible value
    3. will make excuses for not being able to trade vet's

He's got a month before the deadline. He's waiting to see if they can get hot and gain some ground. Right now he's hoping someone severely over pays. But I do agree with you. He's just a moron when it comes to the press.

Trading Avila Jr while people might be blinded by his inflated numbers would be the smart thing to do. Unfortunately he won't be going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Avila sucks.

My memory could be fuzzy, but I don't think anyone was happy when he was let go.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    My memory could be fuzzy, but I don't think anyone was happy when he was let go.
    I think, at least for me and the people I talk to, we were okay with it because it was supposed to signify a much needed change in the organization. They needed to rebuild and begin anew, and DD was the catalyst for it by selling off Price and Cespedes. The issue is that the current idiot in charge has not done anything to further that. In fact its become even more difficult with the Zimmermann/Upton signings (which I will say I was a fan of at the time). This past offseason was so poorly handled and the way he is talking sounds like he is going to sit on his hands and do nothing again, unless someone wants to overpay. It made sense in theory to start again but its been botched badly, so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast