Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Sorting out the last few roster spots:

So what didn't seem to be a challenge going in has now turned out to be a battle for 2-3 roster spots. Here's how I see the roster and a review/prediction of what will happen:

Starting Rotation:

The given: Verlander, Zimmerman, Pelfrey- These three are locks, especially with the way Pelfrey has been pitching. I don't list Sanchez here because he's currently hurt and could very well go on the DL. Ausmus is saying he should be ready and they won't need to DL him but c'mon it's Anibal so there is always that chance.

The battle: Norris, Greene, Farmer- Greene and Farmer so far have pitched a little better than Norris. Norris just recently had a set back in his start due to a small/minor injury. He is suppose to pitch Tuesday so we will have a better idea of where he stands then. As for right now, I think it's his job if healthy and Tuesday's start is decent. Otherwise, I think they go Greene over Farmer. Also, if Sanchez can't go on opening day then Greene gets the nod there.

Final rotation set up for opening day (my prediction)- Verlander, Zimmerman, Pelfrey, Norris, and Green. I'm going with the Sanchez will start on the DL.

Bullpen:

The given: FRod, Lowe, J. Wilson, K. Ryan- I would include A. Wilson if he is ready to go after being sidelined, and Greene if he's not in the rotation. Lowe isn't doing great but has a lot of SO plus we paid him a lot so he'll be there. K. Ryan is doing outstanding so I think he's your long arm in the pen. J. Wilson is doing pretty well also so he's in as well.

The battle: Hardy, Farmer, Parnell- There is a good chance all three make it if Sanchez is hurt and if A. Wilson can't go. Hardy I thought would have been a "given" but he has done so bad this spring and we have a lot of LH (Boyd?) that he isn't a given. Parnell is holding his own and hopefully fully recovered from his TJ surgery a few years back.

Final Bullpen set up for opening day (prediction)- FRod, Lowe, J. Wilson, K. Ryan, Hardy, Parnell, and Farmer. I think A. Wilson won't be ready so Farmer will get the nod. I also think we will keep 12 pitchers the first week. After the first week, I think either Parnell or Hardy will go down.

Everyday players:

The given: McCann, Cabrerra, Kinsler, Inglesis, Castellanos, Vmart, Upton, JD Martinez, and Gose- no surprises except for Gose but we just don't have anyone else with Maybin out. Collins has played a total of 1 game in CF in the majors. Aviles has played all of about 15 in CF. The only other one to play more than that is Krizan who has only reached AA ball. If pressed I'd have to say I would favor Krizan. He can get on base, is an excellent outfielder who can also play 2B, and can steal some bases. What he can't do is hit for power. Collins is hitting very well this spring but he has struck out 8 times so I'm not confident he can hit ML pitching.

The battle: There isn't one. Gose is going to be your CF until Maybin gets back.

The Bench:

The given: Romine, Aviles, and Saltalamacchia- They were all known bench guys that have major league experience. Their not having horrible springs so they will stay on the opening day roster.

The battle: It's a battle for one spot between McGehee, Collins, Moya, Krizan, and Scherholtz. All are having really good springs and deserve a roster spot, however, there isn't room carrying this many pitchers to start. This is Maybin's spot when he comes back but until then these 5 will continue to battle.

Final bench players opening day (prediction): I think Collins wins by default. He's the only one with any ability to fill in at CF for Gose. Once Maybin comes back and the pitching staff goes to 11 then we might see McGehee depending on how Casty is doing. If not then Collins may stay.

There you have it your 25 man roster:

Pitchers: Verlander, Zimmerman, Pelfrey, Norris, Greene, FRod, Lowe, J. Wilson, Ryan, Hardy, Parnell, and Farmer

Hitters: McCann, Cabrerra, Kinsler, Inglesis, Castellanos, VMart, Upton, JD Martinez, Gose, Saltalamacchia, Romine, Aviles, and Collins.

DL: Maybin, Sanchez, A. Wilson

vCash
    If V-Mart is hurt I can see them taking Holladay since Salty will be needed at 1B and DH.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    Congrats to Ahoda on winning "PSD 2015 Post of the year!" ... What a huge honor it is to have you contribute to our forum. I hope you post twice as much in 2016 & give us twice the quality posts & twice the laughter!

vCash
    Good write up. I think i agree with all of this.

2015 AAL: Ebron
    Receptions: 9
    Yards: 96
    TD: 2
    Stats aren't spectacular, but already having a better year than 2014

2013 Lions forum rookie poster of the year!

vCash
    Whoops, looks like I got Sanchez wrong and Norris wrong. Looks as if we will be without Norris for a little while and Sanchez will be back. Looks like it will be Verlander, Zimmerman, Sanchez, Pelfrey, and Greene now.

Also saw that Ausmus isn't real confident that A. Wilson will be back so I guess it will come down to VerHagen, Farmer, Boyd, and Parnell for the final spot.

vCash
    I think they are putting Zimmerman #3 so his first start will be at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    Congrats to Ahoda on winning "PSD 2015 Post of the year!" ... What a huge honor it is to have you contribute to our forum. I hope you post twice as much in 2016 & give us twice the quality posts & twice the laughter!