Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Trading International Player Money (Al Pay Attention)

So, recently I saw a trade by the Mariners who gave up their #8 prospect (pitcher Thyago Vrieira) for $500K of international money. I then saw an article on the Yankees trying to gain international player money to sign Ohtani. So it got me thinking, if we arenít going to use our international money on signing good quality international players (which we havenít done in the past) why arenít we in the mix for trading it for established minor league prospects?

The Yankees have already started trying to build up their international money in preparation of making a run at Ohtani by making two trades already. First, in the Sonny Gray trade they gave up more top prospects than should have been received (Mateo #4, Fowler #5, and Kaprielian #10 now with the Aís) due to getting additional international money from Oakland in the deal with Gray. They also traded away two good young pitchers: Yefry Ramirez (#23 now) and Matt Wotherspoon (who worked to a 6-2 record with an 2.00 ERA at AAA and will be in the bullpen at the MLB next season) to Baltimore for international money. Currently the Yanks have built up $3.25M international money but the Rangers ($3.5M) and the Twins ($3.25M) will all be in the bidding war for Ohtani also. So the Yanks need more money so they can outbid these clubs and Seattle who seems to be making a move.

The Yanks have a potent minor league system and plenty of prospects the Tigers should pony up international money to get. At the very least, they should go after one of the two guys that might not be able to be protected on the 40 man roster by the Yanks in: Jake Cave (#18 prospect) and Billy McKinney (#23 prospect). Both of these guys are athletic LH hitting outfielders who could make the Tigers MLB roster right out of camp. Seeing as how Seattle gave their #8 prospect away for $500K and the need for the Yanks to clear roster space for their 40 man roster, I think we could get either one of these guys for $250K or less. I would much rather, though, go after some bigger fish and offer more of our international money (we donít seem to use anyway). Here are the prospects I would go after by offering $500K or more and maybe even including a player of our own (Wilson, Greene, Rondon, etc..):

#3 prospect- Estevan Florial, OF (AA): 19 years old and very talented but the Yanks have a glut of outfielders currently on the roster so they can afford to give him up in order to get Ohtani. He would cost the most but would be well worth it.

#6 prospect- Domingo Acevedo, RHP (AA): 23 years old and looks to be MLB ready. I know the Yanks love this kid and we might have to include a young arm to get him but it would be well worth getting Acevedo.

#10 prospect- Freicer Perez, RHP (A): 21 year old who is really on the move. Heís 6í8Ē and had a great year in A ball this year. He would probably cost us close to the $1M international money but Iíd much rather do that then try to sign a 16 year old that may or may not make it.

#8 prospect- Nick Solak, 2B (AA): 22 year old who is an all around solid player. Actually, reminds me of Ian Kinsler in results. Would be another player to look at in replacing Kinsler. Even though heís ranked higher, I donít think he would cost more than the others. In fact we may be able to get him for less than the $500K.

Avila needs to be creative in building this team and this international money trade option is just another way to rebuild the Tigers. We started with $4.75M in international spending money and it looks as if we might have spent around $1M so far in signings. This leaves us still heavy with international money to trade or use. I hope Al looks at this option and I hope he looks at the Yanks, who are active already in this area. As mentioned, the Yanks prospects is a hot bed area the Tigers need to try to benefit from.

am I the only one thinking we need to hire hoog as GM?

No

Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    So, recently I saw a trade by the Mariners who gave up their #8 prospect (pitcher Thyago Vrieira) for $500K of international money. I then saw an article on the Yankees trying to gain international player money to sign Ohtani. So it got me thinking, if we arenít going to use our international money on signing good quality international players (which we havenít done in the past) why arenít we in the mix for trading it for established minor league prospects?

The Yankees have already started trying to build up their international money in preparation of making a run at Ohtani by making two trades already. First, in the Sonny Gray trade they gave up more top prospects than should have been received (Mateo #4, Fowler #5, and Kaprielian #10 now with the Aís) due to getting additional international money from Oakland in the deal with Gray. They also traded away two good young pitchers: Yefry Ramirez (#23 now) and Matt Wotherspoon (who worked to a 6-2 record with an 2.00 ERA at AAA and will be in the bullpen at the MLB next season) to Baltimore for international money. Currently the Yanks have built up $3.25M international money but the Rangers ($3.5M) and the Twins ($3.25M) will all be in the bidding war for Ohtani also. So the Yanks need more money so they can outbid these clubs and Seattle who seems to be making a move.

The Yanks have a potent minor league system and plenty of prospects the Tigers should pony up international money to get. At the very least, they should go after one of the two guys that might not be able to be protected on the 40 man roster by the Yanks in: Jake Cave (#18 prospect) and Billy McKinney (#23 prospect). Both of these guys are athletic LH hitting outfielders who could make the Tigers MLB roster right out of camp. Seeing as how Seattle gave their #8 prospect away for $500K and the need for the Yanks to clear roster space for their 40 man roster, I think we could get either one of these guys for $250K or less. I would much rather, though, go after some bigger fish and offer more of our international money (we donít seem to use anyway). Here are the prospects I would go after by offering $500K or more and maybe even including a player of our own (Wilson, Greene, Rondon, etc..):

#3 prospect- Estevan Florial, OF (AA): 19 years old and very talented but the Yanks have a glut of outfielders currently on the roster so they can afford to give him up in order to get Ohtani. He would cost the most but would be well worth it.

#6 prospect- Domingo Acevedo, RHP (AA): 23 years old and looks to be MLB ready. I know the Yanks love this kid and we might have to include a young arm to get him but it would be well worth getting Acevedo.

#10 prospect- Freicer Perez, RHP (A): 21 year old who is really on the move. Heís 6í8Ē and had a great year in A ball this year. He would probably cost us close to the $1M international money but Iíd much rather do that then try to sign a 16 year old that may or may not make it.

#8 prospect- Nick Solak, 2B (AA): 22 year old who is an all around solid player. Actually, reminds me of Ian Kinsler in results. Would be another player to look at in replacing Kinsler. Even though heís ranked higher, I donít think he would cost more than the others. In fact we may be able to get him for less than the $500K.

Avila needs to be creative in building this team and this international money trade option is just another way to rebuild the Tigers. We started with $4.75M in international spending money and it looks as if we might have spent around $1M so far in signings. This leaves us still heavy with international money to trade or use. I hope Al looks at this option and I hope he looks at the Yanks, who are active already in this area. As mentioned, the Yanks prospects is a hot bed area the Tigers need to try to benefit from.
    Good idea to trade international money that you won't be using, though I don't think that you have as much as you think that you do. Seattle was in 4th place and traded for the $500 K to get over $2 million, so the Tigers must have less than the $1.8 million that Seattle had before the trade.

As for going after Yankees minor leaguers, it is a great idea, especially since both teams are good trading partners.

Here's my take: after trading Rumbelow, the Yankees have 37 players on their 40 man roster, including Jake Cave and they definitely plan on adding 5 players, including Acevedo, and McKinney, so they need to jettison at least 2 players by Monday's deadline.

Florial is virtually untouchable and is a 5 tool player projected to be their everyday CF in a couple of years. Perez and Solak are really good players and you should make a play for them. You should also consider starters Bryan Mitchell, Ronald Herrera and Luis Cessa (former Tiger), relievers Giovanny Gallegos, Ben Heller (100+ MPH), Chasen Shreve and Caleb Smith, first baseman Garrett Cooper (who hits .300 everywhere, including 11 games in the majors last year) and even possibly Tyler Austin, has been in and out of major league lineup the past 2 years.

Then, there are major leaguers that the Yankees would be willing to trade. They'd give up Ellsbury and eat much of his salary, Headley could be had, possibly, to lesser degrees, Torreyes, their utility man, Brett Gardner, Austin Romine, Aaron Hicks and Starlin Castro.