Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Parker Returning to Clemson

Clemson quarterback and starting right fielder Kyle Parker has decided to return to the football team instead of playing exclusively for the Colorado Rockies, the school announced Wednesday.

Parker, a record-setting quarterback as a redshirt freshman in 2009, was a first-round draft pick of the Rockies.

"I was in a situation where I couldn't make a bad decision," Parker said in a prepared statement. "All my options are still on the table at this point. The only option I have ruled out is playing baseball exclusively for the Colorado Rockies right now. Negotiations will continue with the Rockies, but I will play football at Clemson this fall."

Parker's return is a huge boost for a program trying to defend its 2009 ACC Atlantic Division title without C.J. Spiller and Jacoby Ford. Parker is the only athlete in Division I college sports history to throw 20 touchdown passes and hit 20 home runs in the same academic year.

Last year he completed 205 of 369 passes for 2,526 yards and 20 touchdowns. He set school freshman records in all of those categories and had a school-record streak of seven straight games with a touchdown pass.

Parker and the Rockies were unable to come to an agreement Tuesday, and he informed Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney of his decision to return late Tuesday night. While Parker could still play for the Rockies, this decision will likely lessen his signing bonus. Colorado has until Aug. 16 to sign Parker.

If he doesn't sign by the deadline, the Rockies would lose their rights to Parker and he would be eligible to be picked by other teams in the 2011 MLB amateur draft.

"We are very excited to have Kyle back," Swinney said in a statement. "Whenever you have a returning starter at quarterback who led you to the Atlantic Division title, that is a real plus for your team. He is a dynamic athlete who brings a lot of positives to our offense. "When I talked with him late last night, he was excited to get back and get started."

Heather Dinich covers the ACC for ESPN.com
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5398209

Very exciting news, this is great for our program.
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Well he has til August 15th and if he were to sign a big deal with the Rockies, I'd have a hard time seeing them letting Parker to continue to play football. But I guess that's a big if right now.
    "Hitting is better than sex." Reggie Jackson

“The only reason I don't like playing in the World Series is I can't watch myself play." Reggie Jackson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
    Well he has til August 15th and if he were to sign a big deal with the Rockies, I'd have a hard time seeing them letting Parker to continue to play football. But I guess that's a big if right now.
    Nice try, but you're dead wrong. Parker said he's playing football, even if he does work out a deal with Colorado. If Colorado refuses to let him play, then he's not signing. He wanted $3 million to give up football, and they wouldn't go over $2.4 million. I know you're trying really hard to find a negative here for Clemson, but there isn't one.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Nice try, but you're dead wrong. Parker said he's playing football, even if he does work out a deal with Colorado. If Colorado refuses to let him play, then he's not signing. He wanted $3 million to give up football, and they wouldn't go over $2.4 million. I know you're trying really hard to find a negative here for Clemson, but there isn't one.
    My post wasn't meant to be negative, but realistic that this situation isn't exactly over. If there's only a $600,000 difference, then they might be able to negotiate since there's still three weeks left.

It looks good for Clemson now, but it isn't over yet. There's still plenty of time left and if he get a big contract, I don't see him being able to play football. But like I said, that is a big if.

“The only reason I don't like playing in the World Series is I can't watch myself play." Reggie Jackson

vCash
    My post wasn't meant to be negative, but realistic that this situation isn't exactly over. If there's only a $600,000 difference, then they might be able to negotiate since there's still three weeks left.

It looks good for Clemson now, but it isn't over yet. There's still plenty of time left and if he get a big contract, I don't see him being able to play football. But like I said, that is a big if.
    Give it up, its over. He isn't going to sign in Colorado at this point unless they let him play football. You're not being realistic at all, you're just digging for something bad in it. He gave Colorado a chance to buy out his football career, and they wouldn't do it. That's final.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Give it up, its over. He isn't going to sign in Colorado at this point unless they let him play football. You're not being realistic at all, you're just digging for something bad in it. He gave Colorado a chance to buy out his football career, and they wouldn't do it. That's final.
    He was their first round pick. He still has until August 15th to sign. That's all I'm going to say...

vCash
    “Kyle seems to really be at peace with his decision,” Swinney said. “There was a peace in his voice, and you could tell he had his jaw set and that there was a resolve in his voice. He said ‘let’s go play some football.’ You have to give a lot of credit to the Parkers, they were first class in the way they handled this. I have never had to deal with a situation like this before, but they did a good job of keeping me in the loop.”

The Parkers will continue to negotiate a contract with the Rockies, but with the understanding that Kyle will play football this fall.

“I am ready to get back to Clemson, work out with my football teammates and coaches and get ready for the season,” Parker said in a statement. “The closer you get to football season the more you think about playing in Death Valley, running down the hill and being a part of the Clemson football tradition.”
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    “Kyle seems to really be at peace with his decision,” Swinney said. “There was a peace in his voice, and you could tell he had his jaw set and that there was a resolve in his voice. He said ‘let’s go play some football.’ You have to give a lot of credit to the Parkers, they were first class in the way they handled this. I have never had to deal with a situation like this before, but they did a good job of keeping me in the loop.”

The Parkers will continue to negotiate a contract with the Rockies, but with the understanding that Kyle will play football this fall.

“I am ready to get back to Clemson, work out with my football teammates and coaches and get ready for the season,” Parker said in a statement. “The closer you get to football season the more you think about playing in Death Valley, running down the hill and being a part of the Clemson football tradition.”
    He probably will end up at Clemson, I was just pointing out that this decision isn't a done deal until August 15th.

BTW if you want to add quotes, you may want to provide a link to them.

vCash
    He probably will end up at Clemson, I was just pointing out that this decision isn't a done deal until August 15th.

BTW if you want to add quotes, you may want to provide a link to them.
    No thanks.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    No thanks.
    We'll I believe its a violation on this board not to do so and it helps provide a bit of credibility.

vCash
    We'll I believe its a violation on this board not to do so and it helps provide a bit of credibility.
    Its a direct from the person, not someone's independent work.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.