Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Sharks Sign Blackhawks' Hjalmarsson to Offer Sheet

The San Jose Sharks signed Chicago Blackhawks restricted free agent Niklas Hjalmarsson to a four-year, $14 million offer sheet.

The Blackhawks have seven days to match or they will lose Hjalmarsson and receive a first-round and third-round pick in return.

It's the first offer sheet to an NHL restricted free agent this year.

"Teams realize Chicago's position with the salary cap, and Niklas is a good, young player on the rise," Hjalmarsson's agent, Kevin Epp, said.
    ESPN

I really like this move. Taking advantage of a cap-pressed Blackhawks team and putting the pressure on for a young D-man with upside...

vCash
    I don't know much about him, but if he's young and physical...then he's a solid pick-up!

Slumpy Shoulder HR Counter: 10

vCash
    Great move for the Sharks. Add a great young defender to our roster, and take one away from our top competitor in the West

vCash
    he is young not physical, the compensation looks to be a first and third round pick,kinda steep.

vCash
    what do you mean not physical? He is very physical...

And yeah we lose draft picks, but we want to win now and this player can certainly help us do that. We already have a great system of prospects and always find players later in the draft.

vCash
    good move, 4 year deal for a young guy. only problem is were going to have to move someone to fit everyone under the cap. that means theres a good chance clowe or murray gets traded (their names are tossed around most often). if were lucky we can move huskins and/or wallin instead.

vCash
    Yeah, I don't think the draft picks are too steep for this kind of potential pick up.

vCash
    better to have a guy who's proven that he can do something in the NHL than 2 guys who've proven nothing...prospects are just prospects.

Slumpy Shoulder HR Counter: 10

vCash
    Plus he is really young... only 23

vCash
    i say he isnt physical beacuse in the flyers chicago games this kid was ran at several times, the other team always finished there checks against this guy, he takes more then he dishes, but i only saw him in the playoffs and im just stating what i saw.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bayareafan650 View Post
    what do you mean not physical? He is very physical...

And yeah we lose draft picks, but we want to win now and this player can certainly help us do that. We already have a great system of prospects and always find players later in the draft.
    he is not very physical, but yes he can hit he doesn't score often but plays the puck well he is a very good addition to the sharks if the hawks dont match the offer.

vCash
    Looks like the Hawks matched the offer