Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Will Paul Pierce break John Havlicek's all time scoring record

Now that Paul has resigned for 4 more years will he break Havlicek's all time scoring record. (assuming Pierce plays out his 4 years in Boston).
    El Presidente

vCash
    I believe he will...but just barely.
    El Presidente

vCash
    Not unless he re-signs for a 1-year deal after these four years is up.

He needs to better his conditioning if he wants any chance.

vCash
    Probably not...he might come close though.

vCash
    Corey, I almost wrote that in my first post about this.

Right now Pierce has 19,899 and Havlicek ended with 26,395.

Lets assume that Pierce has 2 very good seasons left in him and over the next to seasons he gets around 1600-1700 points. That would put him at around 23,000 or so...possibly closer to 23,500. Asumming he tails off a bit in the 3rd year of his contract and only gets about 1200 points that would place him at 24,500 give or take 500 points. Then lets say in the final year of his contract he gets about 1000 points he will be at or around 25,500 give or take about 500.

Now if Pierce has an amazing next couple of years and stays healthy he will be very close at the end of his contract if not break Hondo's record...if he simply stays healthy but tails off after another season or 2 then he will probably just fall short and like Corey said he will fall just short.

The next 2 year will go a long way in deterining if he has a chance.

If Paul is close I could see him coming back for a final year to break the record, as Pierce's place in Celtic history seems very important to him.
    El Presidente

vCash
    It will be very close. I think Paul can do it.
    P(NBA)S(NBA)D. Yeah we sometimes talk about other sports.

vCash
    Havlicek was a 6th man for a good portion of his career, he cared more about the team, and doing what it took to win then setting records.

Bird was better then Havlicek, and qualitatively beyond measure better then Pierce.

Pierce can go ahead and get the record, it will never earn him first place in the all time hierarchy - nor 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th.

Also, I don't think PP will break 24.5k. Hayes (9th) has 27k+, Gervin (13th) has 26k+, English (16th) has 25k+ and none of them rank with the all time greats - top 35 all time, neither will Pierce.

The greatest Celt in the fan-lives of almost all the posters here is KG, not PP. Oh yes. The number one WS/48 season in Celtic history, and the epicenter of the great '07-'08 team - the only Championship in 24 years. KG. PP was and is a useful second banana, but, he's not fit or able to be the #1 on a Championship team. I'm sorry you guys don't know this for a fact.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 07-07-2010 at 04:08 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    It was a simple yes or no question.

No one said anything about one player being better or not, but here comes bags yet again to start a debate.

vCash
    I mentioned this in the Pierce re-signing thread last week. I think, like others have said, that it will be hard for Pierce to pass Havlicek unless he stays for an extra year. In order for him to do it in 4 years, he would have to average about 20 points per game every year and not miss a game. It's very unrealistic to think that in the Doc Rivers ball-sharing offense, Pierce will accomplish this feat. It's also a bit unrealistic to think that he won't miss a few games during that time. I think he finishes a close second to Hondo, with a little more than 25,000 points.

Patriots Playoffs 2012: Go Hard Or Go Home!

vCash
    I doubt that Pierce will, and to be honest, I kind of hope he doesn't. Hondo as the all-time points leader for the C's is a great piece of the C's storied past

vCash
    The question was about the scoring record...not the "best all time Celtic"
    El Presidente

vCash
    Considering the general topic is the storied Boston Celtics, and the level of knowledge and appreciation of the Celts before the past 12 years or so, is sorely lacking here. I'll do my part every now and then to stick in helpful and appropriate comments. That's called "value added" by those that enjoy open information and debate. For others that are annoyed - don't read it.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 07-07-2010 at 08:40 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Pierce will not break the record. He only had 1300 points this year and his playing time will continue to decrease. I acutally see him being the sixth man and playing less than 30 minutes in 3 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominoes View Post
    Pierce will not break the record. He only had 1300 points this year and his playing time will continue to decrease. I acutally see him being the sixth man and playing less than 30 minutes in 3 years.
    If he stays healthy and plays in 80 games this year he could score more points...closer to 1500-1600.
    El Presidente

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Havlicek was a 6th man for a good portion of his career, he cared more about the team, and doing what it took to win then setting records.

Bird was better then Havlicek, and qualitatively beyond measure better then Pierce.

Pierce can go ahead and get the record, it will never earn him first place in the all time hierarchy - nor 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th.

Also, I don't think PP will break 24.5k. Hayes (9th) has 27k+, Gervin (13th) has 26k+, English (16th) has 25k+ and none of them rank with the all time greats - top 35 all time, neither will Pierce.

The greatest Celt in the fan-lives of almost all the posters here is KG, not PP. Oh yes. The number one WS/48 season in Celtic history, and the epicenter of the great '07-'08 team - the only Championship in 24 years. KG. PP was and is a useful second banana, but, he's not fit or able to be the #1 on a Championship team. I'm sorry you guys don't know this for a fact.
    KG needed Pierce as much as Pierce needed KG. KG could never be the #1 option on a championship team. He doesn't have that trait. He thrives as one of the guys. He doesn't seem to be interested in taking over a 4th quarter. He woul rather share the wealth. KG was the emotional leader and brought a defrensive intnesity. He was probably the best player on that team. But without Pierce, the title drought would still be going.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast