Follow us on Twitter

Page 64 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
    vCash
    WTF I thought he was with the AA team.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers and Man City fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

vCash
    Mets fan here.. Watched Williamsport tonight vs Aberdeen (I live there so I get to see them). Walding looks like a good one. I like Roman Quinn and Chris Serritella too.

vCash
    Walding seems to be getting some nice reviews...hope that continues.

vCash
    heres a write up from BA on Tocci:

Take everyone who has played in pro ball this year—down to the Dominican Summer League and the Venezuelan Summer League—and there are just three players younger than Phillies center fielder Carlos Tocci.

Even Jose Pujols, the power-hitting Dominican outfielder the Phillies signed for $540,000 on July 2, was born one month after Tocci.

So it's even more incredible that Tocci, Philadelphia's big-ticket international signing last year for $759,000 out of Venezuela, is already one of the best hitters in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League at age 16.

Tocci, who turns 17 on Aug. 23, earned strong reviews from international scouts last year as a potential two-way threat. Packed into an ultra-skinny 6-foot-2, 160-pound frame, Tocci showed terrific instincts at the plate and in the field, with plus-plus speed and an advanced approach to hitting from the right side. After missing time early in the year when his neck/upper back was bothering him, Tocci has hit .320/.386/.340 in 57 plate appearances with four walks and eight strikeouts.

"He uses the whole field," GCL Phillies manager Roly De Armas said. "He's just learning the game, but he puts the ball in play a lot. He's facing some good pitching, but for a 16-year-old, what he's doing is amazing."

He's used his speed and basestealing savvy to swipe five bases in six attempts. As for the defense . . .

"Awww, forget about it," De Armas said. "He could play center field in Citizens Bank Park right now. You probably think I'm crazy. Just like Freddy Galvis was at shortstop, this guy is like that in the outfield."

Tocci hasn't shown any power—his only extra-base hit so far is a double—but that was exactly what scouts expected given his youth and light build. Yet even without much pop, Tocci still manages to stand out in batting practice in another way—only it's not with a bat in his hands.

"During BP he's out there working on jumps," De Armas said. "It's amazing to see him during BP. We teach all the kids, that's where you get the jumps on balls, but it's just a pleasure to see him running balls down with ease. He just glides and he knows where it's going to be."

vCash
    That is awesome to read.

FIRE ME!

I dont do five year plans other organizations do, I guess. - Ruben Amaro Jr

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sexicano31 View Post
    Tocci isn't doing bad in his first looks at pro ball
    Isn't doing bad? He's 16 and showing everything you can ask from a player except power.

He might be the top prospect in the system right now. Which is probably a shame since he's a good 4 years away.
    Last edited by The A Team; 08-02-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    That's what I wanted to read, awesome.

How much weight can he put on?, I remember I was 160 lbs when I was 16, but I was 5'9 then.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers and Man City fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

vCash
    Depends how he fills out. Could be 190 or 225 or something else.

Too soon to tell, at least for me.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

vCash
    BTW, I've been watching Larry Greene.. Very unimpressive.

vCash
    Bradley JR would have been a fun pick. But nope

vCash
    Tocci killing the gcl...how long till you see what he can do in another level? I know he is way young but he may be in the top 5 of our prospects already...
    2011 PSD Phillies Forum HOF Inductee

Harry, I grew up with the phillies and learned the game by your voice. You will always be missed but never forgotten. Though you are no longer with us, you'll never be "outta here" in our hearts!

vCash
    Tocci is hardly killing it, he has something like an .040 ISO if I recall. He'll remain there for the rest of this season.

I'm close to calling him our top prospect as he looks like a 4 tool monster.

Gillies is back from his team suspension.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team:23215943
    Tocci is hardly killing it, he has something like an .040 ISO if I recall. He'll remain there for the rest of this season.

What team is he with now? Been looking unsuccessfully to find it...
    2011 PSD Phillies Forum HOF Inductee

Harry, I grew up with the phillies and learned the game by your voice. You will always be missed but never forgotten. Though you are no longer with us, you'll never be "outta here" in our hearts!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post

yea I'm really excited about this kid....He very well could skip williamsport and go right to lakewood next year.

vCash
    PP, Gillies should be in AA and Tocci is in Rookie ball. It would be awesome to see Tocci put some mass on and gain some power. I mean, he's only 16

Page 64 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast