Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 78 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    No ****.

Now, who remembers the team I identified as the proper trading partner for Lee. Hint, they play in the largest contiguous state and they aren't the Astros. O yea and Cliff Lee plays for them.

How hard would it have been to swing Cliff Lee for say Holland and a utility infield type? Or if the Rangers were really pressed financially, we could have tossed 3 mil in and taken Martin Perez and a utility man.
    :cry:

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers and Man City fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Plus, I wouldn't be so sure the Rangers thought they were going to be in the same place, standings wise, they were in when they acquired him. With their financial restrictions I'm pretty sure they would've been a little more conservative in acquiring him this past off season.
    Hence why you throw in a couple mil...Daniels had to know the new ownership group could absorb a 5-7 mil salary on a player like Lee. And if the Rangers had one short coming, it was their lack of ace.

The Rangers were already the modest favorite to win the division at that point. People who paid attention were down on the Angels, everyone else who gave them a shot only did so because they always seemed to win with ****** teams (past success with **** doesn't beget future success with ****). The A's were expected to push .500 at best, and the M's were only considered a potential contender once they got Lee and Bedard for cheap (the latter is unsurprisingly still on the DL). So the Rangers were in a perfect and logical position to eventually trade for Lee if we had just been patient about it. The lack of patience with a premium asset is a real pisser.

For what it's worth, I think Ruben and/or our scouts REALLY liked Aumont and Gillies. You have to wonder about that if both fan bases thought the players were middling for a guy of Lee's caliber.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    From you know who:

Quote Originally Posted by KG
    Brody Colvin, RHP, Phillies (Low-A Lakewood): 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 6 K
    When the Phillies signed Colvin at last year's deadline to a $900,000 deal, Colvin was seen as a raw product who would take time to develop. Those opinions were reinforced when after seven Sally League starts, the right-hander had a 8.40 ERA. Since that point however, Colvin, who turns 19 on Saturday, has arguably been the best pitcher in the league. In his sixteen starts since that point, the Louisiana native has a 1.45 ERA in sixteen starts while getting his fastball into the mid-90s at times and flashing an impressive breaking ball. He's loaded with projection, but in some ways, already there as well.

Austin Hyatt, RHP, Phillies (Double-A Reading): 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 5 BB, 7 K. Double-A debut; more like this and we'll have to start taking him seriously
    The quip on Hyatt is because he was old for A+ (where he dominated) and there's not a scout in the world who's sold on his stuff. I'm thinking Geoff Geary quality middle reliever, but we'll see.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

vCash
    New update at PLD. Top 10 list with bonus.

http://phillieslongdrive.com/prospec...tes-august-16/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    New update at PLD. Top 10 list with bonus.

http://phillieslongdrive.com/prospec...tes-august-16/
    hahahaha. I don't think you did this on purpose but next to tyson gillies where everyone else has their stats it says disabled. not sure if you meant disabled list but it's kind of funny because....well....he is disabled (deaf).

These kids have a bright future.

Check out my series on the short term and long term state of the Eagles roster, and let me know what you think.

Running Back
    Quarterback
    Tight End
    Wide Receivers
    Offensive Tackle
    Interior Offensive Line

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hurdler388 View Post
    hahahaha. I don't think you did this on purpose but next to tyson gillies where everyone else has their stats it says disabled. not sure if you meant disabled list but it's kind of funny because....well....he is disabled (deaf).
    What?!?! I couldnt hear you...HUH!?!?

vCash
    A-Team...I assume that this is your top 10 list, correct? What is the consensus (as far as Phillies rankings is concerned from other sources) on guys like the Seattle sad sacks, Matheison, etc.?

Also, I couldn't help but notice that the average age of your top 10 is REEEEEEALLY young (less than 20)....that sounds like a double-edged sword...we may have a bright future, but the future is far away....I like seeing Biddle in there already....

...btw, nice read...

vCash
    That's a good way of putting the age thing. And that's why it's so hard to rate players 4-10. They're all potentially impactful, but they're also so far away that it's hard to tell which of them will make it. AA is the great test of talent, some of them will reach there next season.

I don't follow Phuture Phillies and they're the only location I'm aware of that might do in-season updates like this. So there's no way to form a consensus. I think if you were to talk to any prospect maven, they'd like my top 3 and they would agree that 4-10 are the right names if not in the right order. Maybe they'd like to see Aumont up there. And I also think they'd agree that the bonus names pretty much cover our other prospects. There's a couple guys like Leandro Castro and Matt Rizzotti and of course there's our stable of young solid arms and toolsy position players who haven't shown an ounce of skill.

vCash
    23 year old Harold Garcia has quietly made his way to AA and has emerged as a legitimate middle infield prospect. He's probably not a SS, but could play it in a utility capacity. I would consider him more like a foil to our aging trio of Utley, Rollins, and Polanco at this point. He's had a very solid pro career with nice numbers .298/.382/.450 over 6 seasons), but has never been age appropriate for his league until his recent promotion to AA. He continues to do well at .325/.394/.450 in 37 Eastern League games. Consider him in the mix for #11 on the prospect list.

Garcia has to be placed on the 40 man roster following the season (a near certainty) or else he will be selected in the Rule V draft. He was already eligible last season. He would otherwise be eligible for free agency after next season, although adding him to the 40 man would delay that for 3 years (and adding him to the big league roster, another 3-4 on top of that).

The comp being thrown around is Chone Figgins. I would expect the 2010 version.

vCash
    ^^ that would be great if he could develop into a serviceable middle infield guy. I did not think we had anyone close to fitting that bill in our system right now.

These kids have a bright future.

Check out my series on the short term and long term state of the Eagles roster, and let me know what you think.

Running Back
    Quarterback
    Tight End
    Wide Receivers
    Offensive Tackle
    Interior Offensive Line

vCash
    I've been ignoring him for awhile now because he always seemed to be way too old for his league. We should learn more about him over the next year.

vCash
    A-Team is it true that the Poey guy from the Giants could turn in to a Joe Mauer or is it a bunch of B.S???

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers and Man City fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

vCash
    Joe Mauer might be an exaggeration, but Posey could definitely be a .320/.400/.500 type hitter, which is the elite of the elite from a catcher.

vCash
    He's not really a prospect, but if you haven't heard, Tagg Bozied is murdering the Eastern League.

vCash
    As any 30 year old (or whatever he is) should be at AA.

Page 14 of 78 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast