Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Iginla's Thoughts on FA Signings

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|CGY|home

Iginla pleasantly surprised to hear of the recent signings
    Friday, 02.07.2010 / 1:59 PM / News
    By Kristi Hennessy

If you think Flames fans are the only ones surprised by the Olli Jokinen deal, think again? Even Flames captain Jarome Iginla had his eyebrows raised.

"I was surprised at first when I heard it," said Iginla of Jokinen's two-year deal with the Flames that was announced late Thursday.

"I was surprised because he was pretty upset when he left. It is a big complement to the city and to this organization that he wants to come back. It would have been easier for him to go somewhere else and not have to answer any questions but he believes in what we can do as a team and believes that we can win and have success. I think its a bold move for sure."

Iginla had just finished off a round of golf on his Canada Day birthday when he heard the news. He knew that the signing of Jokinen and Alex Tanguay, who agreed to a one-year contract Thursday, would shock the city of Calgary and there would definitely be some debates out there.

"I'm not surprised at the reaction out there," said Iginla. "We ended the season on a bad note and until we get back on the ice and improve and have success, people are going to debate it and be upset because the last memory we gave them on the season is not a positive one.
    I'm sure Iginla is just supporting the team and Sutter's judgement, but he's gotta be thinking...WTF??

vCash
    I wish a star player would just once come out and be like...what the ****?!?!?!? Or even a ****** player. It would just be hilarious lol

vCash
    Being in Iginla's shoes, I don't think anyone would frown upon it if he did. It's like the beginning of the end really. Once a team starts signing aging veterans in the hope they can remake past glory, its basically the first step in the rebuilding process lol.

vCash
    ^^see my Leafs for the best example...we did that for years...

vCash
    Exactly. Basically what will happen is we will suck, the Sutters will get fired, they'll shuffle management, then (hopefully), a fresh face with a new plan and a coach who knows how to coach in the new NHL will come in, tear things down, trade Iginla, Regher, Kipper maybe, bring him some youth and the rebuild will go on.

I think everyone knows how this is going to play out.

vCash
    Sutter obviously wants the dark days of the 90's back. When you think of the things he has done, his vision and plan was as bad as Bob Gainey's in Montreal. I think they both came into their respected franchises GM role at the same time. Sutter and Gainey are the worst GM's of the 20th century so far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HabsFan87 View Post
    Sutter obviously wants the dark days of the 90's back. When you think of the things he has done, his vision and plan was as bad as Bob Gainey's in Montreal. I think they both came into their respected franchises GM role at the same time. Sutter and Gainey are the worst GM's of the 20th century so far.
    I know I'm the only one in the Flames forum but lets not bash Sutter that much. He's been the worst GM since last February, not the 20th century.

He's tried bringing guys in to play with Iginla and it never worked come playoffs or the season...Tanguay, Huselius, Jokinen. Cammalleri worked good, and Langkow was real good the first 4 years he played with him. It was either Cammallerri or Boumeester come last summer. Nobody would've known Boumeester would become as medicore as he would last year.

Sutter definitly has burned bridges with the fanbase since last year, but he just doesn't understand you can't outwork teams in the new NHL. You have to have talent to go along with working hard.

8. 01-07-2011, 09:06 AM

Reason
    spam

9. 01-07-2011, 09:07 AM

Reason
    spam

10. 01-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Reason
    spam

11. 01-07-2011, 09:14 AM

Reason
    spam