Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinatownbiznes View Post
    Im sorry but what is so good about alien? enlighten me sir.
    Alien is the classic. You're the one that has the burden of proof here. You can't claim a movie that was almost universally panned is better than one of the best Sci-Fi movies of all time, and then expect someone to accept your broad generalizations and have to defend Alien against them.

Either way, I think it is no great stretch to say that Ridley Scot is a vastly better director, and far more accomplished, than Christian Alvart. Although, who knows, maybe his previous movie, Curiosity & The Cat, was an instant classic. I doubt it though.

The character of Ripley is a fantastic one, and there have been few movies since that featured a stronger female lead. The fact that Sigourney Weaver would convincingly play such a strong character, and then go on to play far more conventionally feminine rolls like in Ghostbusters, is a fine example of her range.

Something also tells me that Pandorum lacks the spectacular pacing of Alien. Things are set up, allowed to brew, the tension is allowed to build before the aliens really show up in the film, and things are allowed even more time before any real violence even begins. Almost no other action movie, and certainly very few recent ones, allow tension to build like Alien does. Far too often it's the action that the movies are interested in, when it's the build up to the action that is actually so effective. Alien does it so very well.

Edit: Completely off-topic, but this is post #15,500. I think I'm going to go see if the sun is still out there.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Alien is the classic. You're the one that has the burden of proof here. You can't claim a movie that was almost universally panned is better than one of the best Sci-Fi movies of all time, and then expect someone to accept your broad generalizations and have to defend Alien against them.

Either way, I think it is no great stretch to say that Ridley Scot is a vastly better director, and far more accomplished, than Christian Alvart. Although, who knows, maybe his previous movie, Curiosity & The Cat, was an instant classic. I doubt it though.

The character of Ripley is a fantastic one, and there have been few movies since that featured a stronger female lead. The fact that Sigourney Weaver would convincingly play such a strong character, and then go on to play far more conventionally feminine rolls like in Ghostbusters, is a fine example of her range.

Something also tells me that Pandorum lacks the spectacular pacing of Alien. Things are set up, allowed to brew, the tension is allowed to build before the aliens really show up in the film, and things are allowed even more time before any real violence even begins. Almost no other action movie, and certainly very few recent ones, allow tension to build like Alien does. Far too often it's the action that the movies are interested in, when it's the build up to the action that is actually so effective. Alien does it so very well.

Edit: Completely off-topic, but this is post #15,500. I think I'm going to go see if the sun is still out there.
    Ripley wasn't that strong in the first, she didn't really do much of anything. We all know ridley scott is a better director, still doesn't mean the movie is better. Pandorum's story is better.

vCash
    I think you should all watch pandorum, seriously. Maybe it's just me being a fan of underdogs and less popular movies, but i love this movie, enjoyed it way more. I feel the same way about dark city and it being much better than the matrix.

vCash
    Im sorry but what is so good about alien? enlighten me sir.
    The suspense. That's the big one. Very good suspense, very good atmosphere.

I prefer the Thing to Alien, but those two are generally what I consider to be the top examples of this genre.

But I haven't seen Pandorum yet, so who knows? You get points for mentioning Dark City.

vCash
    Ripley wasn't that strong in the first, she didn't really do much of anything. We all know ridley scott is a better director, still doesn't mean the movie is better. Pandorum's story is better.
    And this is where the problem is. You don't want to actually talk about this, you just want to be the guy championing an unpopular movie by taking shots, even if they're poor ones, at a much better movie. You can only talk about people relying on nostalgia because that's all you have. You've provided literally zero reason, outside of repeating "it's better! it's better! it's better!" as to why anyone should think Pandorum is a better movie than Alien. If you want to make the claim, you have to bring the evidence.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    The suspense. That's the big one. Very good suspense, very good atmosphere.

I prefer the Thing to Alien, but those two are generally what I consider to be the top examples of this genre.

But I haven't seen Pandorum yet, so who knows? You get points for mentioning Dark City.
    Pandorum has suspense and a good atmosphere, plus more mystery.

vCash
    You want to know how easy (and pointless) this argument is?

No it doesn't.

That's all this is.
    Visit my Blog.

vCash
    And this is where the problem is. You don't want to actually talk about this, you just want to be the guy championing an unpopular movie by taking shots, even if they're poor ones, at a much better movie. You can only talk about people relying on nostalgia because that's all you have. You've provided literally zero reason, outside of repeating "it's better! it's better! it's better!" as to why anyone should think Pandorum is a better movie than Alien. If you want to make the claim, you have to bring the evidence.
    How can i actually talk about it if you haven't even seen pandorum in order to have an actual discussion about it?

vCash
    Actual quote from someone I know

"Never see Pandorum is it ****ing terrible"

vCash
    How can i actually talk about it if you haven't even seen pandorum in order to have an actual discussion about it?
    But everyone has seen Alien, and all you've basically said is, "Nuh uh, Pandorum is better!" It's utterly pointless.
    Visit my Blog.

vCash
    I just realized this was one of the movies Cung Le left Strikeforce to do.
    Visit my Blog.

vCash
    But everyone has seen Alien, and all you've basically said is, "Nuh uh, Pandorum is better!" It's utterly pointless.
    Acting, mood, story,mystery, suspense are all superior. Who cares if everyone has seen it, that doesn't make it better.

vCash
    Ok....

Quote Originally Posted by Chinatownbiznes
    Who cares if everyone has seen it, that doesn't make it better.
    No. But it makes it impossible to argue with you, especially when you don't really offer any argument beyond stating over and over again that it's better.

Maybe I'll watch it tonight and report back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    Ok....

No. But it makes it impossible to argue with you, especially when you don't really offer any argument beyond stating over and over again that it's better.

Maybe I'll watch it tonight.
    Acting, mood, story,mystery, suspense are all superior.
    That's pretty clear, i don't get how you guys can't understand that. Nobody has said why alien is even a good film at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I think Event Horizon is better than Pandorum.
    I actually just watched Event Horizon last night. I was really weird, not as enjoyable as Pandorum for me.....but neither of them can touch the original Alien movie, IMO.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast