Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Extention or Trade Thorton?

There's already chatter about Joe Thorton's situation next year. He will become an UFA after the 2010-11 season. Jumbo Joe's cap hit is second highest on the Sharks right now at 7.2 million. With all the talk about Thorton's playoff performance's (or lack there of) what do you think the Shark's should do? Should we sign him to an extension, trade him prior to the deadline, or just ride it out to free agency next year? I'd imagine this is going to be a common topic over the next season, might as well start it now.

vCash
    i would try to trade him, look at what you can get for him, if not then try to sign for an extension, he stuggles way to much in the playoffs, i would give him another year, previous years we could always blame nabokov but with him gone i think thornton will be the goat this year if the team has an early playoff exit

vCash
    I would guage the market for him as well.

vCash
    I think Joe Pavalski is ready to step up, so i would look to trade thornton for a package of nhl ready dman ( maybe one shutdown and one puck moving ) plus prospects and obviously a first round pick.

I think the leafs are interested in thornton cuz they need a legit center. Right now they have Kaberla ( puck moving dman) and Komisarek ( a shutdown dman) but will have to see how healthy he is this year. They have some young kids in Hanson who is NHL ready and maybe some more prospects.

For this move to work, Marleau would have to be moved back to center.

This is only one scenario, there could be several other options out there, but im not aware of any current team that is need of a legit # 1 center. the only other thing i can see if a Thornton to Ottawa deal straight up for spezza.

vCash
    a top 4 dman would definitely be the target in a trade. maybe throw in a couple prospects or draft picks as well. worst case scenario i see is the sharks dont extend him, dont trade him and then come next year lose him to free agency. itd be nice to at least get a return on him.

marleau moving back to center should definitely be doable. the only reason he moved in the first place was because of guys like thorton and pavelski.

with nabokov out of the picture now thorton is going to the fall man if the sharks blow it in the post season again.

vCash
    if we can get a young future super star then yes otherwise i would have to pass

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluffmasta View Post
    I think Joe Pavalski is ready to step up, so i would look to trade thornton for a package of nhl ready dman ( maybe one shutdown and one puck moving ) plus prospects and obviously a first round pick.

I think the leafs are interested in thornton cuz they need a legit center. Right now they have Kaberla ( puck moving dman) and Komisarek ( a shutdown dman) but will have to see how healthy he is this year. They have some young kids in Hanson who is NHL ready and maybe some more prospects.

For this move to work, Marleau would have to be moved back to center.

This is only one scenario, there could be several other options out there, but im not aware of any current team that is need of a legit # 1 center. the only other thing i can see if a Thornton to Ottawa deal straight up for spezza.
    If a move is made, I think Toronto would be a great fit. They have plenty of pieces we could use. I'd really like to get Phaneuf, but Kaberle is much more likely

THE SLUMPY SHOULDER HOMERUN TRACKER:7

vCash
    leafs do have the pieces, but i dont see phanuef going anywhere he was just named captain, i could see it being for komi and/or kaberla and prospects. but kaberla looks liek he will be moved this summer and also thornton wont be traded this summer maybenext when his contract is up.

vCash
    I really think Jumbo stepped up this year in teh playoffs more than the previous against the ducks... I want to see Jumbo stay, but not an increase, lets see what happens

vCash
    Keep Jumbo....Chicago kept us from it this year but they wont next year,