Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Sharks Sign Antero Nittymaki, Malhotra Gone

The Sharks have turned to Tampa Bay Lightning goaltender Antero Niittymaki as their replacement for Evgeni Nabokov.

On the first day of the NHL's annual free agent frenzy, Niittymaki, 30, signed a two-year deal that will pay him a reported $2 million each season, or about $3 million less than Nabokov earned last season.

Sharks general manager Doug Wilson has said he wanted to create a goaltending tandem with a veteran sharing responsibilities with Thomas Greiss or Alex Stalock.

Niittymaki posted a 21-18-5 record with the Lightning last season with a .909 save percentage and 2.87 goals-against average. Before that, he played in parts of five seasons with the Philadelphia Flyers.

In other free agent news, center Manny Malhotra won't be a Shark next season after signing a three-year, $7.5 million contract with the Vancouver Canucks.
    I guess Doug Wilson is going with a tandem on purpose...I hope it works out!

Michael Morse High-Fives Himself dot gif

vCash
    Wow... didn't expect that.

vCash
    Malholtra baby!!!!

Glad to have him on Vancouver. As for the Sharks Nittymaki/Greiss duo.. good luck with that.
    2014 Indianapolis Colts: Let's Hunt

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    i will miss malhotra but not at that type of money for a 3rd line center.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Malholtra baby!!!!

Glad to have him on Vancouver. As for the Sharks Nittymaki/Greiss duo.. good luck with that.
    I had a feeling you'd comment on Malhotra! Your Penalty Kill just got better!

Michael Morse High-Fives Himself dot gif