Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Roster Look: OT

vCash

Roster Look: OT

Roster Look: OT
    Continuing a detailed look at the short term and long term state of our roster. I appreciate all input, good or bad. If you missed the first editions they are here:
    Running Back
    Quarterback
    Tight End
    Wide Receiver

Offensive Tackle
    Current position rating : 8
    Potential : 8.5

On the Roster:
    Zipp Duncan
    King Dunlap
    Austin Howard
    Winston Justice
    Jeraill McCuller
    Jason Peters
    Fenuki Topou

Likely Starters:
    Jason Peters (LT)
    Winston Justice (RT)

Should Make the Team:
    Winston Justice
    Jeraill McCuller
    Jason Peters
    Fenuki Topou

Short Term: Jason Peters was our big offseason pickup last year and played pretty well. He'll give up a handful of sacks, and struggles with penalties at times, but all in all he is one of the better left tackles in the league. He's probably one of the more important Eagles given the fact that he is protecting our new franchise quarterback's blindside from a division full of good pass rushers. Peters is athletic for a tackle and is effective as a pass blocker, run blocker, and in the screen game which is an Andy Reid favorite.

Justice was a very pleasant surprise last year. Going into last year I was convinced our coaches had ruined his career (and wasted a high pick) by putting him into a terrible situation in that Giants game. I didn't think he would be able to recover from such a disastrous start to his career. When the Shawn Andrews saga continued last year, not only did Justice prove he could start, he turned into a very consistent player. From what I've gathered he is a workout warrior and I love his attitude. He desires greatness and seems willing to work to get there.

Topou seems to be a lock for the main backup spot. He is a decent player who can play with leverage. I wouldn't want him starting for long periods of time but he is capable to fill in here and there. The battle for the 4th spot should be between Dunlap and McCuller. I'm giving McCuller the edge because Dunlap has been around for a bit now and still really struggles with his footwork. He is a guy that has just not improved the way you would hope he would. McCuller was a solid player in college, and has a decent amount of experience at the position for a guy that went undrafted. Howard could make things a little interesting in camp. He is a converted TE but I don't see him beating out a guy like McCuller simply because of experience.

Long Term: The Eagles are hoping Peters and Justice can hold down the tackle position for the next several years. They are both locked up long term, and are young enough to be effective for some time (Peters is 28, Justice is just 25). When it comes to our starters, I'm pretty impressed how successfully and quickly we've transition from the Tra Thomas/Jon Runyan era. I do feel a little shaky with our depth at this position and I'm hoping Andy Reid will get back to using a few picks on his offensive line in next years draft.

These kids have a bright future.

Check out my series on the short term and long term state of the Eagles roster, and let me know what you think.

Running Back
    Quarterback
    Tight End
    Wide Receivers
    Offensive Tackle
    Interior Offensive Line

vCash
    Does anyone have any information on Austin Howard and Jeraill McCuller?

Also does anyone know if Tony Washington ever got signed? I know he wasn't drafted and the last I herd he hadn't been signed, I know the guy got arrested for statutory rape, but in my opinion he is a better option as the 4th OT.

vCash
    The only four players I know anything about on that group are Peters, Justice, Topou, and Dunlap.

King Dunlap was horrible when he had to step in for Jason Peters last year, so I'm really hoping he gets cut. Whoever McCuller is, he can't be that much worse than Dunlap. I really hope Topou can refine his technique as an offensive tackle soon, because he's got natural talent.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Cyanide 28 View Post
    but he da best ever doo
    he iz lyke gonna be betta than revix u can sigg quot me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildWesty View Post
    The only four players I know anything about on that group are Peters, Justice, Topou, and Dunlap.

King Dunlap was horrible when he had to step in for Jason Peters last year, so I'm really hoping he gets cut. Whoever McCuller is, he can't be that much worse than Dunlap. I really hope Topou can refine his technique as an offensive tackle soon, because he's got natural talent.
    From the film/highlights i've been able to find McCuller is like Dunlap just with better movement. He is big, 6'6" 335, but keeps his weight over his legs pretty well. He isn't necessarily quick or agile but he looks better than Dunlap already. I did see him struggle to get out in front of a few screens, which he'll have to improve on if he wants to play on this offense. McCuller had 29 starts in college and gave up very few sacks, so he has pretty good experience.

Check out my series on the short term and long term state of the Eagles roster, and let me know what you think.

Running Back
    Quarterback
    Tight End
    Wide Receivers
    Offensive Tackle
    Interior Offensive Line

vCash
    Offensive tackle seems to be one of our strongest positions. We have Jason Peters and Winston Justice, both of them are solid starters. We also have topou, who appears to be a good enough backup. Barring a bad injury, we shouldnt have any problems here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hurdler388 View Post
    From the film/highlights i've been able to find McCuller is like Dunlap just with better movement. He is big, 6'6" 335, but keeps his weight over his legs pretty well. He isn't necessarily quick or agile but he looks better than Dunlap already. I did see him struggle to get out in front of a few screens, which he'll have to improve on if he wants to play on this offense. McCuller had 29 starts in college and gave up very few sacks, so he has pretty good experience.
    Awesome. I'm watching one of his highlight tapes on him now and he seems to be a lot like Dunlap's playing style. He's got incredible bench strength but I'm afraid he might have serious leverage problems in the NFL. He's pretty good when it comes to pad-level but it seems like he doesn't use his feet much in pass protection. Luckily these are things he could fix over the next couple years because hopefully we aren't going to need him playing any time soon.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Cyanide 28 View Post
    but he da best ever doo
    he iz lyke gonna be betta than revix u can sigg quot me

vCash
    Yes theres a lot of hype about McCuller, hes supposed to be pretty legit. I am very interested to see how these guys look in preseason because this is the core of Kolb doing well.

3 seconds is all he needs and I expect Peters to have a great year this year. And Justice next to Andrews should be pretty nasty.

although remember Austin Howard's name. I think he makes the team as well and I really feel we walk in this season with 5 tackles. Howard is very plug and play... He played TE a bit as well as a blocking TE and was very good at that, sound like Peters?? Regardless I feel this kid will be used in a G/T/ goal-line TE style....
    Last edited by fanofphilly; 06-30-2010 at 09:07 AM.

vCash
    What happen to Todd Herman and Nick Cole.

Introducing the Eagles O-Line

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    Thems is OGs
    SPACE

vCash
    Zip Duncan should be a name to remember, though, probably not this season. Saw him a bunch here at Kentucky over the last few seasons. His stock rose quite a bit towards the end, grew into his body. Used to be a DT, if I'm remembering correctly, so he's a little slow at coming to the position.

He could be a very quality backup at some point.
    Don't give up on us now...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Henry, House of Burgess, 1775
    Give me the playoffs...or give me death!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    You are truly an enigma, monkeyboy.

vCash
    If one of our tackles gets hurt I don't see us starting Topou. If Peters gets hurt I see Herremans sliding over to left tackle and one of the backup guards (jean gilles, cole or andrews depending who's not starting filling in at LG and if Justice goes down I see Andrews most likely filling in.

Also I would lower position rating to 7.5 because they each have too many lapses but I would raise the potential to 10 because they both look like they can be great and Peters sometimes looks like hes the best in the league
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjTFxF-hRzY
    Jack It Off - Taylor Swift Parody ^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWestKins View Post
    Thems is OGs

Running Back
    Quarterback
    Tight End
    Wide Receivers
    Offensive Tackle
    Interior Offensive Line

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesfan05 View Post
    If one of our tackles gets hurt I don't see us starting Topou. If Peters gets hurt I see Herremans sliding over to left tackle and one of the backup guards (jean gilles, cole or andrews depending who's not starting filling in at LG and if Justice goes down I see Andrews most likely filling in.

Also I would lower position rating to 7.5 because they each have too many lapses but I would raise the potential to 10 because they both look like they can be great and Peters sometimes looks like hes the best in the league
    You're probably right about one of our guards filling in if a starter goes down long term. If it's just a start or two we'd probably see what Topou can do.

Running Back
    Quarterback
    Tight End
    Wide Receivers
    Offensive Tackle
    Interior Offensive Line

vCash
    McGlynn was a T in college and im sure could slide over there in an emergency situation if need be as well

And Stacey has been a T his entire career, Herremens can also play T as well, so if need be one of them can slide over and our quality guard depth with Cole, MJG and GcGlynn can come into play as well

Our Olines versatility adds depth, looking at just what players are listed as on the roster is misleading
    Last edited by c_reinert; 07-02-2010 at 02:35 PM.
    PSD's c_reinert