Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Dale Tallon, showing how you truly rebuild a team!

For about a decade, the Florida Panthers played the role of perennial wallflowers in the NHL (and no, I'm not talking about the pop rock group that featured Bob Dylan's son). The way I see it, they've only been intermittently awful; in most cases, the rats have just been mediocre. In other words, the Florida Panthers were hockey's answer to nougat.

One thing is for sure, though, new GM Dale Tallon won't sit idly by while other GMs make waves. He's making his presence known.

Just look at the Florida Panthers' feverishly busy draft.

Though there is plenty of focus on the future, the makeover will be apparent as early as the 2010-11 season, considering the fact that Tallon dealt prominent players including Nathan Horton and Keith Ballard. Thanks to a dizzying array of moves, the Panthers ended up with three first-round draft picks, three second rounders and three picks in the fourth to go along with the standard single picks in the third and fifth-to-seventh rounds.

Here is a snapshot of the Tallon's first six rounds of work, which includes a ridiculous haul of 12 picks.

(Click to enlarge draft picks, http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftsearch.h...eam=FLA&supl=N)

If there is one trend of the Panthers draft (besides sheer volume), it's that Tallon focused on big players. His first two picks are listed at 6'4" and he only picked one guy under six-feet tall (Benjamin Gallacher, at 5'11"). The league rewards speed and skill, but looking at the Dustin Byfugliens and Chris Prongers of the world, it never hurts to have a player who could clear or clog the crease. Tallon apparently received that memo.

Sure, it may take some time for Tallon to work his rags-to-riches magic like he did in Chicago, but it's clear that the man largely responsible for building the Blackhawks is ready to do it again.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/

I wonder whats going to happen with Tommy V.? and what could we get for him too??
    Last edited by Miami_Megatron; 06-26-2010 at 07:17 PM.

vCash
    I give us about 2-3 years before I think the Pathers will be a force in NHL....but we gotta keep Dale Tallon around....we pick up JOHN MCFARLAND in the 2nd rd when he had a mid 1st rd grade......i like were we are headed for once!

vCash
    Last edited by Miami_Megatron; 06-26-2010 at 07:41 PM.

vCash
    There's no doubt that I'm excited about the future of our team! We're going to have a BIG, mean, defensive corps, with the ability to score as well. As for our forwards they've size, and SPEED! We picked up the strongest guy, and one of the fastest out of the combine. I'd say, at one point, every single one of our picks will be on an NHL roster. Gudbranson is probably the only guy we'll get to see this upcoming season, but as you said, give the other youngins time to develop. In 2-3 years we will be a young team, with a bunch of upside. I'm just hoping Tallon can make some more moves to make us competitive THIS season. I'm sick of barely missing the playoffs every year!

The Illuminati of Basketball

vCash
    I'm not even a Panthers fan but he has definitely done a bang-on job so far

vCash
    ^yup

vCash
    Tallon was a great higher
    Props to pheagles 10 and phins1983

vCash
    we have a complete roster and about 10 million dollars left under the cap, I would love to see (I know it wont happen and is not realistic) us offer ilya 12 years 120 million dollars so we can finally have a legit scoring forward. maybe the panthers can borrow riley for a few days and get a deal done.