There is a lot of things going on with the Oilers right now so I thought I would post a thread with a few different things:

Riley Nash:
The Oilers' 21st overall pick in 2007 is seen as a good prospect, so that means he will be a part of their rebuild right? Wrong. He wants to play for Cornell again this year for his senior year, but the Oilers want him to move on to the AHL and continue to get better. If they cannot re-sign him he will re-enter the draft and the Oilers will lose him for nothing. If they trade Nash they could possibly expect a 2nd round pick in return, which would give them 3 2nd rounders in 2010 which would likely lead to a bigger trade. A trade Rumor involving Boston would send Cogliano and Nash to Boston for the 15th overall pick.

Jason Spezza
There are many trade rumors surrounding Spezza, with Boston, Edmonton, Florida, and Columbus being the frontrunners. Boston already has enough depth at center, and since they will most likely be drafting Seguin, they won't want another one. Florida could offer Nathan Horton with a prospect or pick. Edmonton could offer Sam Gagner, Andrew Cogliano and any of the players below..

Moreau, Nilsson, O'Sullivan

All NHL teams have a window to buy out players from June 15-30, but the Oilers have already said that they want to shop these players around before they consider that. A contending team could be interested in Moreau for a pick. Nilsson, who has 1 year left on his contract at 2 million, and O'Sullivan who has 1 year left at 2.9 million could both be used at trade bait to address either of the following issues through the draft or otherwise..

Goaltending

The Oilers are stuck with Nikolai Khabibulin because no team will take him at this age with back problems and that big of a contract. Tambellini has said that he does not want to enter training camp with 3 goaltenders which means either Deslauriers or Dubnyk will be traded or let go. Mark Messier told the Oilers he would put one of them on Canada's world championship roster as a favor, and they chose Dubnyk which suggests they will choose him because he is bigger and younger. The Oilers will definitely be drafting a goalie this year, and I would personally like to see them trade for another first rounder (possibly 15th overall from Boston for Nash and Cogliano) and draft Jack Campbell.

Defense

After 3 years together, both the Oilers and Sheldon Souray want to part ways. They will most definitely be trading him at the draft or after July 1st. He is likely to go to either the L.A. Kings or San Jose Sharks (since they lost Blake.) This leaves them with Ryan Whitney, Tom Gilbert, Aaron Johnson (UFA), Ladislav Smid, Jason Strudwick (UFA), Taylor Chorney (will not make the team), and Theo Peckham (RFA). The Oilers definitely need to acquire a top 4 D-man either through Free Agency (I'm thinking Hamhuis or Volchenkov) or through a trade. They will also take a D-man for the future in the 2nd round at this years draft.