Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Ilya Kovalchuk

Hybrid View

vCash

Ilya Kovalchuk

Does anyone think that the Ducks have the cap room to sign Kovy or if they did, do you think he would sign. Personally, I think they have a shot. I'm not saying they will, but they are the third most garunteed team to sign him according to HockeyBuzz. He's obviously not going back to the Devils, and he was also garunteed to go to the Islanders, Maple Leafs, and the Kings as the highest garunteed team. However, seeing that the Ducks have a shot, do you think they will and would they.

vCash

Kovalchuk

It's not gonna happen.....as much as l'd like to see kovalchuk in a ducks uniform, he is just going to cost wayyy too much. Ilya's gonna want a contract around 7 million + and there's no way were gonna pay him more then Getzlaf is getting which is around 6.25 mil. I don't see us doing much on offense this offseason anyway......defense is going to be the number one priority

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Woddsicle View Post
    It's not gonna happen.....as much as l'd like to see kovalchuk in a ducks uniform, he is just going to cost wayyy too much. Ilya's gonna want a contract around 7 million + and there's no way were gonna pay him more then Getzlaf is getting which is around 6.25 mil. I don't see us doing much on offense this offseason anyway......defense is going to be the number one priority
    I'd second that. Especially with Scotty now retiring, defense is the main concern for Murray and co.

Thanks to dodgersuck for the sweet sig!

vCash
    Personally, I still think it's possible. I mean, if Bob Murray were smart enough to buy out the contracts of the NHL caliber players that the Ducks have but don't use like Ryan Carter and Mike Brown as well as buying out the contracts of Chipchura, Parros, Festerling, Oystrick, and maybe Marchant (even though I like him), and not resign Aaron Ward, Wisnewski (even though I like him), or Troy Bodie (who will probably resign anyway), then maybe, just maybe the Ducks could get just enough money to sign Kovalchuk. I really don't know anything about the cap or the amount of space that the Ducks have, I'm just saying what I think needs to be done. Physicality is a good thing, but the Ducks have way to much of it. They need to change from an undisciplined team into a scoring team if they're ever going to win the Pacific division again because as much as I hate the Sharks, they're just way too offensive for the Ducks to handle right now. So if I were Bob Murray, I'd try to find a way to sign Kovalchuk as well as still being able to resign Bobby Ryan and Saku Koivu and convince Scott Niedermayer and Selanne to come back, and maybe bring back Paul Kariya and sign him to a short term deal which the Ducks were also highly rumored to do.

vCash
    Now it's apparently possible. I don't know if you saw the recent rumor on HockeyBuzz, but apparently the Ducks are battling the top candidate Kings in the Kovalchuk signing sweepstakes. They could sign him, especially now that they traded Mike Brown which opened up at least a little bit of extra cap space.

vCash
    Not gonna happen...The Kings have the money, and the talent to be a contender for years to come. The Ducks are declining right now, not to mention that 3 key players on your team are at the end of their careers (Koivu, Selanne, & Niedermayer) and you don't know if they'll be back (is Koivu still under contract?). If I were a Ducks fan, I would rather take 2-3 down years, reload the farm system with picks, then go after that elite player...just like Blackhawks did and the Kings are doing. Anyways, see you guys at the next Freeway Face off...go kings go.

vCash
    2-3 down years. That's exactly what I would expect to hear from a Kings fan.

First of all, Koivu is a UFA.

Second, if you think that the Ducks are declining then you are sadly mistaken. Yes, Niedermayer retired, but to make up for that we just drafted the best offensive D-man in the entire draft and the supposed next All-American great (though he was born in Canada) as well as the best California born player in the entire draft. Sure the Ducks got lucky for both guys still being there but hey, "better to be lucky than good." Plus, their cap space couldn't be better thanks to that Visnovsky trade.

Third, I never said the Ducks were going to actually sign Kovy, I just said it's possible. Also, I'm not doubting that the Kings will sign, I actually that they have the biggest chance to sign him, I just said the Ducks are battling.