Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Don't look now but the rotation is shaping up!

A month ago, I was no fan of R.A. Dickey. I don't like the knuckleball, never did. Very hard to control, hard to predict, also hard to catch. Games get very long and tedious involving knuckleballers.

Then I saw RA pitch in Buffalo on an SNY game. What I saw opened my eyes. He isn't your typical knuckleballer. He throws his floater harder than most. Very remiscent of Joe Niekro, the less famous brother but a very good pitcher in his own right.

RA began with the Mets where he left off with the Bisons, throwing strikes, getting batters out, giving quality innings. I'm sold.

Then there's the matter of Takahashi, a career stater in Japan who was a very good middle inning reliever for us this season. Pitching against the Yankees Friday night, he showed he can be equally effective as a starter. The only difference is he pitched more innings and will need 4 days off between appearances.

If their starters can go deeper into games, it will have a domino effect on the bullpen. Nieve should be able to get his magic back and maybe, just maybe, Feliciano's arm won't fall off sometime in August.

With Niese (how's the hammy doing?) as a fifth starter and Jason Bay finally heating up, we just might win some games this summer.

At any rate, we need to keep Dickey and Tak in the rotation.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    No Ollie and no Maine.. funny I sleep better at night with those two out of the rotation. I am thinking Mr Niese we counting on too much at this point.. but what the heck Ike is are 4th hitter and he seems to be doing fine.

I like Takahashi but he's no rookie! I was hoping for the better for Maine and Ollie but there's a place in Buffalo that the two of them need to work there problem out! At this point Ollie is of no practical use. For 12 million dollars I could have outfitted the entire bullpen on that kind of dollar figure. Simply time to move on.

vCash
    I think we still need one quality starter to compete this season. Once our hitters heat up our offense will be fine but the pitching needs to get one more quality starter. (Oswalt maybe?)

vCash
    I think the verdict is still out on Takahashi and Dickey, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't impressed (especially with Takahashi). I think if both of them follow up their stellar performances with another one then we might just be alright.

I'm just unsure of how Dickey will fare against the Phillies. Wakefield made them look silly, but Wakefield is better than Dickey. Takahashi handled a hell of an offense, so hopefully he can do the same against the Phils. Pelfrey has really looked amazing this year and Santana would have close to a 2ERA if it weren't for the terrible start in Philly, but alas this is baseball and **** like that happens.
    Props to MetsLegacy

vCash
    thing about dickey was he was a flamethrower when he was drafted. he is an entirely unique pitcher. from no ligament in his elbow to even his career path.

im certainly pulling for him to really become a nice success story with the mets this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ritz View Post
    I think the verdict is still out on Takahashi and Dickey, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't impressed (especially with Takahashi). I think if both of them follow up their stellar performances with another one then we might just be alright.

I'm just unsure of how Dickey will fare against the Phillies. Wakefield made them look silly, but Wakefield is better than Dickey. Takahashi handled a hell of an offense, so hopefully he can do the same against the Phils. Pelfrey has really looked amazing this year and Santana would have close to a 2ERA if it weren't for the terrible start in Philly, but alas this is baseball and **** like that happens.
    Knuckelballers are a funny bunch. Case in point, Jim Bouton who made it back to the majors in 1978 after an 8-year-hiatus of failed comeback attempts. For the next 25 years or so, he still pitched in an adult hardall league in northern New Jersey, playing against a combination of college kids, former college stars, and ex-minor leaguers. He once said that when his knuckleball was working, major leaguers couldnt hit him. When it wasn't, you or I could.

Dickey could be one of those guys who can just get hot long enough to do some serious damage. I would't want to sign him to a long term contract but this year, he could cause some serious headaches to NL hitters.
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

Crossed the Rubicon, let the bridge be burned
    vCash
    The team has two starters and leads the MLB in BB's, Maine is done, Niese is hurt and Perez is confirmed to be useless, it's hardly starting to shape up.
    RIP Paul Kuznetz aka uapeople

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I'm all for Bay playing everyday. I don't mind, I understand with the contract situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
    The team has two starters and leads the MLB in BB's, Maine is done, Niese is hurt and Perez is confirmed to be useless, it's hardly starting to shape up.
    Dickey and Taka baby, Dickey and Taka!

Or is it Taka and Dickey!

Taking shape dude!

vCash
    iT'S FAR FROM 'SHAPING UP' really.

We have 2 proven SP's out of 5, one who isn't proven who is also hurt, and two who are anything but proven with one god start each.

What we have is a rotation in flux and turmoil because the quite obviously flawed rotation we came into the season with has already collapsed in spectacular fashion, with two guys totally unusable as starters.

We need a QUALITY PROVEN STARTING PITCHER the same way we did when last season ended.

vCash
    Geez, you guys are tough.

I said it's shaping up. I didn't say it's all set.

Right now (call me crazy, I'm sure you will) I like the 4 guys we run out there. Who knows, maybe swing a trade for Oswalt and then it will no longer be shaping up. It will be set!

But right now, with two experienced pitchers in Taka and Dickey to go along with Santana and an emerging Pelfrey, it is indeed "shaping" up.

My God, you dont think we're better with Dickey and Taka than we were with Maine and Ollie?
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 05-24-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Crossed the Rubicon, let the bridge be burned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Dickey and Taka baby, Dickey and Taka!

Or is it Taka and Dickey!

Taking shape dude!
    Tickey, takky, d'oh?
    RIP Paul Kuznetz aka uapeople

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I'm all for Bay playing everyday. I don't mind, I understand with the contract situation.

vCash
    "My God, you dont think we're better with Dickey and Taka than we were with Maine and Ollie? "

Sure, but that's saying very little it would be impossible to be worse off than when we were running out OP and cry-baby.

OP had good starts, cry-baby had good starts, people were saying they'd turned the corner, and then when they flopped again, people were still willing to offer up more excuses, and give them more starts - so on the flip-side we should not get too carried away with one outing each from Tak and RA.

What I said all along was that when you watched these guys (OP and Maine) - what was important wwas to look at the whole picture, and the underlying trends - which were total loss of FB by both guys, inability to pasr 5 with any regularity from both guys, lack of command by both guys and heck no stats were even needed you just needed to watch games to know that 2-3 good starts were not reflective of the slop they were throwing.

Let's hope Tak can cement a place in the rotation, and that RA can hold down a spot until a real SP arrives.

Like your optimism thouhg!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackPrince View Post
    "My God, you dont think we're better with Dickey and Taka than we were with Maine and Ollie? "

Sure, but that's saying very little it would be impossible to be worse off than when we were running out OP and cry-baby.

OP had good starts, cry-baby had good starts, people were saying they'd turned the corner, and then when they flopped again, people were still willing to offer up more excuses, and give them more starts - so on the flip-side we should not get too carried away with one outing each from Tak and RA.

What I said all along was that when you watched these guys (OP and Maine) - what was important wwas to look at the whole picture, and the underlying trends - which were total loss of FB by both guys, inability to pasr 5 with any regularity from both guys, lack of command by both guys and heck no stats were even needed you just needed to watch games to know that 2-3 good starts were not reflective of the slop they were throwing.

Let's hope Tak can cement a place in the rotation, and that RA can hold down a spot until a real SP arrives.

Like your optimism thouhg!
    I'm probably guilty of jumping the gun a bit on Dickey. I do that from time to time. But there's no reason to believe Takahashi can't be a consistent big league pitcher. You're off base (EDIT: Not "way" off base, just off base) to compare him to the few good starts Ollie has. Interesting, when Ollie is right, his stuff is far superior to Taka. But Taka just knows how to pitch and he has excellent command of his repertoire. Pitchers like that aren't prone to the highs and lows of an Ollie.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 05-24-2010 at 11:31 AM.

vCash
    Niese is retroactive to return June 1st... hope there is no set backs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I'm probably guilty of jumping the gun a bit on Dickey. I do that from time to time. But there's no reason to believe Takahashi can't be a consistent big league pitcher. You're off base (EDIT: Not "way" off base, just off base) to compare him to the few good starts Ollie has. Interesting, when Ollie is right, his stuff is far superior to Taka. But Taka just knows how to pitch and he has excellent command of his repertoire. Pitchers like that aren't prone to the highs and lows of an Ollie.

I agree, I think Tak can be a back-end starter in MLB. I never want to see Perez or Maine ever again, the amount of chances they have had has just gone beyond ridiculous now. They have zero credibility left.

If now isn't the time to move on finally from OP and Maine then basically what you're saying as a team is - patience is infinite, and guys will never be held accountable for their performances.

This is year 3 of Pelfrey, OP and Maine - 1 has come thru the other to have totally failed.

I don't see RA Dickey being able to stay in the rotation for long he's a guy who will do what fringe players do - flatter to decieve. Useful for a while, then reverting back to norms, we have all seen this phenomenom countless times.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast