Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Yzerman to be named Lightning GM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5217529

"Sources: Yzerman to be named GM"

vCash
    Just saw this myself.......

This sucks. I wish him the best, but on the other hand, wish he would stay in HockeyTown.
    HUGE Props to wileyisTOFU for the sig

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wileyro...7621533179324/

Quote Originally Posted by lionsfourlife View Post
    Possibly if Jesus himself was entering the draft.

vCash
    sad sad day for Wings fans. Congrats to Steve.... but I HATE to see him leave.

Guaranteed in 10 years when Yzerman is a top 5 GM in the league and Holland retires, he comes back.

vCash
    I'm very glad for Steve, and I wish him the best. I know he'll make an excellent GM. He can only wait so much time to be the GM of Detroit, before he moves somewhere else. Kenny is the best GM in the league, so I doubted he'd get fired any time soon.

vCash
    He will always be a Red Wing in my book. Thanks for everything Stevie. I like to think we will see you back when Holland retires.

vCash
    I was surprised to see this. Good luck to him.

vCash
    ^ No surprises here, he has been saying for the last year if the right situation presented itself, he would like to take the reigns of an NHL franchise. (You guys in the States might not have seen these comments, they were related to his preparation of Team Canada).

Good luck Stevie Y, it goes without saying that it is going to be weird seeing you working for a team other than the Winged Wheel. Best of luck in Tampa, and hopefully you make it back home someday
    Blue Jays Ace Todd Redmond

vCash
    I think Holland should take a look at Stevie's philosophy. He understands the game is going toward a younger, more fast paced game with guys under 27 dominating the stat sheets.

The Wings don't have any of that. Not even close. Their veteran leadership has gotten them far, but I think if they want to compete, they need to have an influx of young talent. C'mon Kenny... take a page from Steve.

Guaranteed the Lightning are a great NHL team in 3 years. They have vets who can still score in Lecavalier (probably will be traded for talent), and St. Louis. And they have extremely talented youngsters in Mike Smith, Steven Stamkos, and Victor Hedman.

EDIT: I trolled the Lightning board right after I posted this... not even a single post besides the boards moderator regarding Yzerman, and none regarding anything else... dead board. I hope he can get those fans interested in hockey again...
    Last edited by Spartan2587; 05-26-2010 at 07:57 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan2587 View Post
    I think Holland should take a look at Stevie's philosophy. He understands the game is going toward a younger, more fast paced game with guys under 27 dominating the stat sheets.

The Wings don't have any of that. Not even close. Their veteran leadership has gotten them far, but I think if they want to compete, they need to have an influx of young talent. C'mon Kenny... take a page from Steve.

Guaranteed the Lightning are a great NHL team in 3 years. They have vets who can still score in Lecavalier (probably will be traded for talent), and St. Louis. And they have extremely talented youngsters in Mike Smith, Steven Stamkos, and Victor Hedman.

EDIT: I trolled the Lightning board right after I posted this... not even a single post besides the boards moderator regarding Yzerman, and none regarding anything else... dead board. I hope he can get those fans interested in hockey again...

Woah woah woah, as much as I love Yzerman and wish him well...since when did the game of hockey change? Younger is better? I think any day of the week people would take a Zetterburg/Datsyuk/Lidstrom/Iginla and many others before some of these young guys.

For instance, Drew Doughty of LA will be a fantastic player, same with Steven Stamkos (I believe in a few years people will be saying he is the best overall center in the game) but I would take Lidstrom over Doughty and there are a couple centers that are older I would take over Stamkos on my dream team. Nothing, no youth or talent will EVER in any sport be better than wisdom and experience. Youth is flashy but experience wins championships

I think the Detroit Redwings are the prime example of this over the last 19 years we have made the playoffs winning how many cups? And have we ever had a team with the average age lower than....27,28?

vCash
    Good. Stevie Y can hone his GM skills in TB, then when Holland retires he'll be ready for the Wings.

Bdawk4prez owns me.