Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Metallica - Hard-Wired to Self-Destruct

So the new album is pretty damn good. Like, really good. Some songs are really reminiscent of 'Master' era Metallica. I was listening to the radio last night and they played the full album. I really thought they were sneaking in some older forgotten gems or something but it was all the new album. I guess they made videos for each song too, which is cool.

Thoughts?

"Moth Into Flame" is ****ing great.

Weird. I didn't even know this came out. Will have to hunt it down later (despite not caring for really any of their stuff since the early 90's).

"there's no shines in my shinebox"

Have listened to it once or twice now. I'd say it's decent but none of the individual tracks have really stood out to me so far.

dang, they still makin music, huh. I really never heard anything since the black album, was like 25yr ago. Black album, while a good album, seemed like one of those "downhill" albums, made me lose interest. Very generic mainstream sound, which is ok, but just wasn't near the same type of stuff they put out before that. Justice for all is that fire fire, love that ****
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

but i'll give this one a go, since you said it had a throwback feel...
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Justice for all is that fire fire, love that ****
    For me it's Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning basically tied in first for their absolute best album. The early Garage Days stuff is bad *** as **** too but that's more a collection of random songs than an album.

I'm a long time Metallica fan (like fan club in early 90s fan). They lost me for a while after St. Anger which missed the mark on what they were going for. Death Magnetic was solid, but different.

Haven't finished the new album yet, but so far, totally agree; reminiscent of late 80s. Its a little hard now, because I loved them as a teenager and now that I'm older I feel like their lyrics never really grew up. I mean "We're so ****ed, hardwired to self-destruct"....meh. But musically the album is great. I"ve always been more of a Kirk guy anyway.

Favorite album of all time is Justice for sure. It was the halfway point between their maturity as musicians but still with the grime of the early days. It's the best Lars album by far and the guitar composition is like classical music in metal form. Love that album.

And their most underrated tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RjHVQfwp2s

Used to love when Breadfan or Am I Evil came on the radio back in the 90's.

Not sure Breadfan is underrated is it?

You guys watch the Murder One video? Tribute to Lemmy. Pretty neat.

https://youtu.be/2Mkq6GFLIsk

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    Not sure Breadfan is underrated is it?
    Outside of Metallica fandom I think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    You guys watch the Murder One video? Tribute to Lemmy. Pretty neat.

https://youtu.be/2Mkq6GFLIsk
    Great video. Love their new approach of filming a video for all the songs and posting it on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Have listened to it once or twice now. I'd say it's decent but none of the individual tracks have really stood out to me so far.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    For me it's Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning basically tied in first for their absolute best album. The early Garage Days stuff is bad *** as **** too but that's more a collection of random songs than an album.
    Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.