Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Smartphones At Concerts

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/featu...as-much-as-you

I was just reading this article about some bands that are taking steps to eliminate cell-phone usage almost completely, going as far as to stop the show and remove those in the audience who even have them out, much less are taking video or pics.

Me, personally, I am 100% guilty. However, I am 100% still into the show. I'm not the type they describe who's just there because it's the place to be, I only go to see acts that I am heavily in to, and I'm also not using my phone to browse or any of that crap while the act is performing. But I like preserving the memories and having them a touch away for the future. I've also learned to preserve my battery, haha, and only do a few songs, usually those with the slower tempo. I want to go buck when that banger comes on and I put my phone away. I don't think a single performer that I've seen live has thought, '**** that guy, what's he even here for'.

However, I see where they're coming from. Crowds' emotions have changed drastically since everybody got a smartphone and an insatiable desire for social media popularity. Audiences have become a sea of smartphone wavers and it's true, you can't really take video and move with the music all that well. Performers feed off of crowd energy and it's just not there like it used to be. Although I do think it's a little unfair to presume that these people are disinterested, IMO.

What about you guys?
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)

vCash
    I hate that everybody uses them during shows, but I'm guilty of it, too. I use it as a camera only though. I take tons of pictures just for my own sake (I pretty much never put any on facebook/instagram/etc). However, for shows that I'm really into, I use it a lot less and just enjoy the experience.
    2013 Adopt-a-Packer: Aaron Rodgers

vCash
    I'm kinda in the middle on this, I can definitely understand why an artist would hate having a sea of fans all with smartphones blocking thier actual view of the performance, but I'm also guilty of snapping at least 2 or 3 shots per show.

I just like taking pictures. Be it at a sporting event, a concert, or hell, just random cool stuff around the city. If I'm paying to see you, let me enjoy your performance how I please.

Also, this Louis CK clip seems to fit here (at least the start):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd2sRC3K9Hs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Can't read my, can't read my, no you can't read my Kurodaface.

vCash
    These artists need to wake the **** up and realize what times we are living in. People love being constantly distracted and that isn't going to change anytime soon. Can't really stop an idiot that simply can't be away from their phone for more than 30 seconds. Personally, I'll usually video 1-2 songs tops and snap a half dozen pictures or so. For most the duration of the show though, I prefer to just enjoy the music and surroundings without being slowed down by making sure the action is fitting in to my viewfinder properly.
    I Will Eat Your Children.

vCash
    Do you think the artists have a right to prohibit phone usage during performances? They usually have sanctioned people taking video but now they have 500+ bootlegging right in their faces lol

vCash
    They can try but I don't see that going over too smoothly.

vCash
    Certain bands encourage it too on the other hand. Though I doubt their intent is to have everyone in the audience holding their phones in the air half the show.

vCash
    It doesn't take away from the experience for me but I can see where the issue comes from.

vCash
    A quick photo is fine. But of your the dick in front of me holding up a ****ing phone for half the gig that **** is getting smashed and your getting a brim kiss from the peak of my hat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE):27776920
    These artists need to wake the **** up and realize what times we are living in. People love being constantly distracted and that isn't going to change anytime soon. Can't really stop an idiot that simply can't be away from their phone for more than 30 seconds. Personally, I'll usually video 1-2 songs tops and snap a half dozen pictures or so. For most the duration of the show though, I prefer to just enjoy the music and surroundings without being slowed down by making sure the action is fitting in to my viewfinder properly.
    I do the same. Good post

vCash
    His is one of my biggest pet peeves. People seem to not enjoy the concert as much. Also, how good of a video are you going to get on your damn 8MP smartphone? Take one pic when get there are then enjoy the show. Buy a damn t shirt if you want to prove that you were there.

vCash
    My old iPhone 4 took excellent video. 720p with clear and balanced sound. Is that okay with you?

It's not about proving I was there. It's about preserving a moment in time that I can revisit whenever I choose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    My old iPhone 4 took excellent video. 720p with clear and balanced sound. Is that okay with you?

It's not about proving I was there. It's about preserving a moment in time that I can revisit whenever I choose.
    I went to Lollapalooza this past summer and used my iPhone 4 to take one video (no pictures) during the 3 day event. I was in the back, well behind the audience and stage but every once in a while I play the video and it's spectacular to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    2 years ago, this team was worth 650 million dollars. Derrick Rose has played ten games since and now this team is worth a billion dollars. Clearly, it's Tom Thibodeu.

vCash
    I whip my phone out for a picture or two just for a keep sake. After that it's back to rocking out and dancing.

vCash
    I hate everyone that pulls out a cellphone to record during a concert. It's so ****ing distracting/obnoxious to see the dim glow from a shitton of phones and hear the *******'s phone next to you beeping notifications from his mouth-breathing friends commenting on his video on various social media platforms.

Just a bunch of inconsiderate *******s using recording devices for EVERYTHING.
    How I Feel reading Cliff Stein's Contracts:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast