Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VRP723 View Post
    You don't think the fact that he hits in a lineup with A-Rod, Jeter, Tex, Posada, Cano and Swisher gives him a huge advantage in terms of what type of pitches he sees?
    If he were constantly hitting at the front of the order, you might be able to make that case. But since he's often hitting 9th, it may very well hurt him. Derek "Ground into a Double Play" Jeter has helped hinder his base running somewhat useless as he doesn't seem to want to take pitches like he used to. Without looking too deeply into it, Jeter is probably the most common player to hit behind Gardner, and I don't really see that helping him all that much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    If he were constantly hitting at the front of the order, you might be able to make that case. But since he's often hitting 9th, it may very well hurt him. Derek "Ground into a Double Play" Jeter has helped hinder his base running somewhat useless as he doesn't seem to want to take pitches like he used to. Without looking too deeply into it, Jeter is probably the most common player to hit behind Gardner, and I don't really see that helping him all that much.
    Batting 9th makes my argument even stronger. If a pitcher is coming up and facing Gardner, then Jeter, Swish and Tex, you don't think Gardner sees a lot of fastballs?

Look, I'm not saying he's not a good player, because his defense alone gives him value, but the thread title is "superstar in the making" I'd like to see him put up those numbers on a team that doesn't have one of the greatest lineups in history and then judge.

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    I hardly think this incarnation of NY's lineup is one of the greatest in history.

vCash
    Gardner's two biggest tools are his defense and plate discipline. I don't think either hinge much on who plays around him.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    You guys turn every argument I make into why Gardner can consistently be a good player. He can be good. The title of the thread is "legit superstar in the making"

How many players are superstars? In my eyes, probably around 20-30. Gardner's a nice player, but he doesn't have the talent to be an elite talent. He can't hit for power, like at all, and probably won't get on base at a .390 clip year in and year out. Good? Yeah. Superstar? Never.

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VRP723 View Post
    You guys turn every argument I make into why Gardner can consistently be a good player. He can be good. The title of the thread is "legit superstar in the making"

How many players are superstars? In my eyes, probably around 20-30. Gardner's a nice player, but he doesn't have the talent to be an elite talent. He can't hit for power, like at all, and probably won't get on base at a .390 clip year in and year out. Good? Yeah. Superstar? Never.
    It's not a fair comparison to make until he does it for more than 1 season but Gardner's #s aren't all that dissimilar to Ichiro's. Gardner simply walks more and Ichiro hits more singles.

vCash
    Nobody is arguing that Gardner either IS or will be a superstar(at least not me). But the thing is he is a very good asset mainly because of his defense and plate discipline...2 things IMO u can't teach, speed and a great eye at the plate. Either u have it or u don't.

Gardner is not a superstar like Span is not a superstar(both are somewhat similar IMO)...But both are really great assets for their teams.
    Carlos Beltran 2014 Stats:
    33 Games | .307 wOBA | .240 BABIP | 5 HRs | 14 Runs | 15 RBIs

vCash
    nope

vCash
    I don't think he's a superstar in the making, but he'll be an above average player sure. I happen to like him a lot, I hope he does become a superstar and prove me wrong. It's doubtful though.

BRING BARRETT TO CAROLINA, GETTLEMAN!

MMA FIGHTERS: WERDUM, JONES, SONNEN, MAYHEM, BELFORT, HENDRICKS, MAYNARD, ALDO, WINELAND

vCash
    No. He's not a superstar now and he's 27 so chances are he isn't going to get much better. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if 2010 was the best year of his career. He had a .340 BABIP this year and he had that one crazy month in which he hit .383/.472/.533 that kind of inflated his stats this year. The rest of the season he was a .250 hitter who got on base at a rate around .370 and hit for no power.

vCash
    I don't think that he'll be a superstar. But I do think that he should be batting leadoff and Jeter should be hitting 9th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by North Country View Post
    The rest of the season he was a .250 hitter who got on base at a rate around .370 and hit for no power.
    He played hurt the 2nd half...Either way a .370 OBP is more than pretty good for a leadoff hitter(Ellsbury would dream to have a .370 OBP).
    Carlos Beltran 2014 Stats:
    33 Games | .307 wOBA | .240 BABIP | 5 HRs | 14 Runs | 15 RBIs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiNYC View Post
    He played hurt the 2nd half...Either way a .370 OBP is more than pretty good for a leadoff hitter(Ellsbury would dream to have a .370 OBP).
    And Gardner would kill to steal 70 bases or hit for any power at all. One year of a good OBP doesn't make someone a superstar. He had a .340 BABIP this year, the year before he had an OBP of .345.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011