Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Celtics extend Brad Stevens and Danny Ainge

You won't get a better news than this today. More than happy with both of them.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/side...-Ainge-Stevens
    Basketball is like war in that offensive weapons are developed first, and it always takes a while for the defense to catch up.

Red Auerbach

vCash
    Very happy with the Stevens extension....I would have preferred to wait on extending Danny though. I dont see any harm in waiting to see how the off season goes before extending Danny. But I am very happy with both of them...especially Brad
    El Presidente

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun5 View Post
    You won't get a better news than this today. More than happy with both of them.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/side...-Ainge-Stevens
    Great news. Best signing of the offseason already.

City of Champions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rufo4100 View Post
    Very happy with the Stevens extension....I would have preferred to wait on extending Danny though. I dont see any harm in waiting to see how the off season goes before extending Danny. But I am very happy with both of them...especially Brad
    What other GM are we going to get that's better than Danny? I'd love to hear this. R.C Buford nor Bob Meyers are going anywhere, anytime soon. Those are literally the only 2 GM's in the league you could say are without a doubt better than Danny Ainge right now.

I found a nice list of GM rankings for the NBA. I pretty much agree. I think Olshey and Presti are too high and Ujiri and Bird are too low. But overall, I think its a nice list, accurate enough.

http://www.hoopscritic.com/ranking-all-30-nba-gms/

City of Champions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    What other GM are we going to get that's better than Danny? I'd love to hear this. R.C Buford nor Bob Meyers are going anywhere, anytime soon. Those are literally the only 2 GM's in the league you could say are without a doubt better than Danny Ainge right now.

I found a nice list of GM rankings for the NBA. I pretty much agree. I think Olshey and Presti are too high and Ujiri and Bird are too low. But overall, I think its a nice list, accurate enough.

http://www.hoopscritic.com/ranking-all-30-nba-gms/
    To be clear, I am also very happy with Danny, I just think it might have made some sense to wait until after the off season to extend Danny. Danny has done a great job but he has also had his share of misses in the draft aka....Fab Melo, James Young(although nobody was taken after Young that has done much/Hood maybe). Again Danny has done a decent job....might have waited but I guess it makes some sense to extend them both now.
    El Presidente

vCash
    A lot of people hate on Danny and I don't understand why....? Not all his moves are home runs but he is solid and doesn't sacrifice much in trades(leave us added out if it doesn't work)

Wait till after the off season? He's the reason we are in such a great position this offseason!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CELTICS4LYFE View Post
    A lot of people hate on Danny and I don't understand why....? Not all his moves are home runs but he is solid and doesn't sacrifice much in trades(leave us added out if it doesn't work)

Wait till after the off season? He's the reason we are in such a great position this offseason!
    Absolutely. I think the Nets trade will go down as one of the greatest of all time.

Sacks allowed: 0

Blown assignments: 0

Week benched: TBD

# of times Peyton Manning laughs at Laken or shakes his head in disgust: 17.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RB#20 View Post
    Absolutely. I think the Nets trade will go down as one of the greatest of all time.
    Definitely should be a great one. Not only has he traded well above average for any GM, he also manages the cap very well. Everyone was up in arms last offseason for "only" signing Amir Johnson and Jerebko. At the time the deals seemed like vast overpayments. But in hindsight, both players contributed well to this team, and this offseason, those 2 contracts do not look bad at all. He didn't mortgage the future by any means, and signed 2 under valued players that helped us reach the playoffs for a second straight year... Many had suggested throwing big money at player like Greg Monroe, etc..I'm certainly glad we didn't then and even happier now that we didn't.

He's a very good GM. He does the best with the resources he has. He has a great relationship with the owners which helps. They'll spend whatever he needs, if he feels it's going to get us to contend. Could his drafted be better? Sure but you could say that about 95% of the GM's league wide. The fact is, the NBA draft is a crap shoot. And the majority of the time Danny has been picking late in round 1. Even when he's gotten a chance at top picks...The balls didn't bounce in his favor. He's had his misses for sure. But I can overlook those because I look at the entire picture. He's been great since coming here IMO.

City of Champions

vCash
    I think Danny does a great job overall but the BRK deal doesn't really factor in for me. It was a no-brainer because BRK offered something dumb. I give him the credit for being willing to rebuild when it was time but the actual deal itself I put all responsibility on BRK for.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I think Danny does a great job overall but the BRK deal doesn't really factor in for me. It was a no-brainer because BRK offered something dumb. I give him the credit for being willing to rebuild when it was time but the actual deal itself I put all responsibility on BRK for.
    Yes and no. And no doubt BRK pulled a complete desperation move here. But not only did Danny recognize it, he made the right decision, knowing it was going to extend the rebuild period. Yes, a rebuild was coming no matter what, but by taking this deal, we knew it was going to take 2-3 season before we even got the "compensation" for this deal (BRK picks in 16, 17, 18). He could have just as easily dealt KG, PP, Terry off separately and got more immediate contributors/picks. But he chose the long haul, recognizing the overall value of this deal was greater and being sure enough in himself that he'd be around to use these picks himself and not get fired in the interim. I don't know how many GM's this day and age are that comfortable doing that, in any sport. Kind of like a BB situation in NE, trading draft picks for better future picks.

I also think this trade led him to hiring Stevens as a coach, I'm sure he already had his mind set on him anyways. But knowing that he was a young coach, that would be able to develop talent, I think he paired this trade knowing that it would fit better with his soon to be coach. Rather than trading for 2-3 good players and having Stevens come in and try to manage their integration with Rondo and the other pieces on the roster already. It could be real messy, and that team would have been stuck in that no mans land.

It was without a doubt a gift via BRK. But Danny recognized it, and made moves/planned off of it. So I think Danny definitely deserves credit for it as well.

City of Champions

vCash
    The only crap that gets tossed at Danny is:

1. 1 title (1 more than most franchises)

2. Dealing Perkins. So many still think we'd have won that year with Perkins. Even guys that get paid to talk about it. Nonsense and rubbish as I argued here at least 150 times in the past. Perkins played 12 games for us all year (poorly) then went out to OKC and outside of one minor 4 minutes burst sucked totally in the playoffs for them. Perk was never a good player - except when KG was at his side. Perkins salary demands were too high, and he had too bum knees (thanks in huge part to his weight).. Not a mistake.

DA's only big mistake (and probably it was Wyc's) was not getting rid of cancerous Rondo much sooner for much more.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

told you all since 2010 he was a toolbag.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post

2. Dealing Perkins. So many still think we'd have won that year with Perkins. Even guys that get paid to talk about it. Nonsense and rubbish as I argued here at least 150 times in the past. Perkins played 12 games for us all year (poorly) then went out to OKC and outside of one minor 4 minutes burst sucked totally in the playoffs for them. Perk was never a good player - except when KG was at his side. Perkins salary demands were too high, and he had too bum knees (thanks in huge part to his weight).. Not a mistake.

DA's only big mistake (and probably it was Wyc's) was not getting rid of cancerous Rondo much sooner for much more.
    Couldn't agree more. Welcome back!

City of Champions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post

In trades I think you could argue that the Antoine Walker trade was not very good. We probably could have got more for Anotoine than Raef Lafrenz and Juri Welsch. But I give him a pass as that was a very long time ago.

If you are looking at draft picks he has missed a few times...but I still think he is a very good GM and wins almost all of the trades he makes. The pick that I dwell on the most in recent years is the KO pick where we could have got Greek Freak and jury is still out on James Young. Still Most of his moves are quality and the Brooklyn trade is about to pay serious dividends.
    El Presidente

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rufo4100 View Post
    In trades I think you could argue that the Antoine Walker trade was not very good. We probably could have got more for Anotoine than Raef Lafrenz and Juri Welsch. But I give him a pass as that was a very long time ago.

If you are looking at draft picks he has missed a few times...but I still think he is a very good GM and wins almost all of the trades he makes. The pick that I dwell on the most in recent years is the KO pick where we could have got Greek Freak and jury is still out on James Young. Still Most of his moves are quality and the Brooklyn trade is about to pay serious dividends.
    I can't fault Danny for passing on Giannis. He was a huge gamble. Looking back, it paid off, no question. But he was a 19 year old kid at the time that nobody really knew anything about. 13 other GM's passed on him too.

Olynyk was a safer pick and it's not like he was a complete bust. He's a good player. He is what he is defensively, but Giannis isn't worlds better on that end either.

Look at the PER 36 numbers...

Giannis 14.4ppg, 7.4rpg, 3.5apg, 1.3bpg
    Olynyk 16.6ppg, 8.1rpg, 2.8apg, 0.8bpg

The major difference between the 2 is playing time. Giannis is a freak athlete, Olynyk is not. But Olynyk is more skilled. He has a higher IQ, He's more efficient. Now I think Giannis ceiling is much higher, but his floor is also lower.

Olynyk was a unique talent in his own right. He was a PG who ended up being 7' tall. But he has unique background. He came from a basketball family, 2 sport athlete, and was a PG until he was a junior in HS, so playing the post is still relatively new to him. He's still learning the position. He's trained with his dad, Steve Nash and John Stockton as a kid/college player. His skills as it related to basketball are highly refined and he's trained them with some of the best to ever player the PG position.

At the time, I can't blame Danny for taking the safer yet still as intriguing pick of Olynyk vs. Giannis. That said, if the Bucks wanted to swap the 2 straight up, I wouldn't think twice. But I'm not going to knock Danny for the pick given the info he had at the time.

City of Champions

vCash
    Will the combo of Ainge and Stevens be the Eastern Conference force for years to come...???

Ainge as the GM without Stevens drafts during a 10 year period...

Tony Allen, Delonte West, Big Al, Gerald Green, AB, E'Twaun Moore, Sully...

DA's draft day transactions picking up draftees...

Rondo, Powe and Big Baby...

Ainge + Stevens in 2 years... May be too early but...

Smart, Rozier, Hunter, Mickey, Brown, Yabusele, Zizic, Jackson, Bentil...

Just bored, but any predictions on how things turn out...???
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast