Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

De La Rosa Up Wednesday (7/9)?

Although the Sox haven’t named a spot starter for Wednesday night’s game against the White Sox, they dropped a major hint last night when right-hander Rubby De La Rosa threw only one scoreless inning in a start for Triple-A Pawtucket.

De La Rosa was pulled after 21 pitches in a game in Columbus, Ohio. In five starts for the Red Sox, the hard-throwing 25-year-old is 2-2 with a 2.51 ERA and 30 strikeouts in 321⁄3 innings. The Sox only reluctantly sent him down after Clay Buchholz returned from the disabled list and they were unable to make a trade that would’ve freed up a spot.

Farrell said the Sox won’t use a pitcher currently in the bullpen, which takes Felix Doubront out of the mix.
    Boston Herald.

vCash
    Who get axed from the roster?

vCash
    IMO, Mujica or Badenhop. The alternative is that we find Doubront back on the DL.

vCash
    I was thinking Breslow might be the first to go.

vCash
    I agree that Breslow has been pretty bad this year. I wonder what we WEREN'T told about him coming out of spring training. Mujica has been hit more consistently... but I forgot that he signed a 2yr deal. They won't ditch that so you're probably right about Breslow.

vCash
    De La Rosa was pulled from his start for Pawtucket after only one 21-pitch inning Sunday night “for the specific purpose of being a candidate for Wednesday,” said Farrell, who mentioned right-hander Anthony Ranaudo as the other candidate to make that start.

But De La Rosa has previous major league experience and pitched well in five starts for the Red Sox last month
    Boston Herald

vCash
    I would think Betts is going down, and Rubby after the game. Betts has sat on the bench the last two games, 3 if you want to include the backend of the double header.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    I would think Betts is going down, and Rubby after the game. Betts has sat on the bench the last two games, 3 if you want to include the backend of the double header.
    I think Betts is likely to start the next 3 games with 3 LHP coming up. The only trump to that will be Bradley hitting in 5 straight games at a clip (.438/.526/.563) that Farrell could use to justify keeping him on a roll.

vCash
    It wouldn't be the end of the world to sit holt for a game and let JBJ play (Unless you're Don Orsillo) Gomes/JBJ/Mookie.

Holts coming down from his high now anyway. I'd assume his split vs LHP in the last ~15 games isn't pretty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    It wouldn't be the end of the world to sit holt for a game and let JBJ play (Unless you're Don Orsillo) Gomes/JBJ/Mookie.

Holts coming down from his high now anyway. I'd assume his split vs LHP in the last ~15 games isn't pretty.
    He's hitting .292/.352/.400 in his last 15 games. I'm not sure what his split is against LHP, but those are still good numbers. Holt is actually hitting .353/.391/.494 this year against LHP, compared to .287/.340/.385 against RHP. You keep saying he's going to decline into being a bench guy or worse, but it still hasn't happened.

vCash
    Red Sox manager John Farrell had no answer as to the roster move when Ruby De La Rosa would be called up today to return to the rotation following last night’s 8-3 loss to the Chicago White Sox at Fenway Park.

Not more than five minutes later, a Red Sox staff member tapped on Brandon Workman’s shoulder as he was putting on his socks and shoes at his locker.

In a crowded rotation, which hasn’t been the problem for the Red Sox this season, Workman was the odd man out, as he will be sent down to Triple-A Pawtucket as the corresponding move to get De La Rosa another shot.

Workman was on the losing end of last night’s continuation of a misery-filled homestand after he gave up five runs, three earned, in seven innings of work. He is 0-3 since returning from suspension late in June.

“Definitely, it’s not ideal,” said Workman, who looked hesitant to confirm the official roster move after the meeting with Farrell.
    Boston Herald

Workman may not be happy about it but the timing makes a ton of sense. With RDLR getting into the rotation tonight there was only a 50-50 shot that he'd get another start before the AS break. He could easily displace whomever was going to start for Sat/Sun to stay on schedule, possibly get another start in PAW right after the ASG, and then return after they trade Peavy.