Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Red Sox trade Anthony Ranaudo to Texas Rangers for Robbie Ross

Red Sox acquired LHP Robbie Ross from the Rangers in exchange for RHP Anthony Ranaudo.
    Ross put up a 2.62 ERA as a reliever for the Rangers from 2012-13 before struggling when tried in the rotation last season. The Red Sox have enough starting depth and need left-handed relief help, so Ross is bound for the bullpen. Ranaudo is a former sandwich round pick who has been terrific in the minors the last two years but struggled with the big club. He could be given a chance to compete for a rotation spot but might be ticketed for Triple-A.
    rotoworld
    YES

vCash
    Who would have ever thought at the beginning of this year we would trade Rubby, Webster, and Ranaudo and all we got back was Wade Miley and Robbie Ross.
    YES

vCash
    I never cared for Ranaudo, but we sure love to sell low on our young players.

vCash
    After seeing his success with relatively mediocre K/9 rates I checked his GB numbers. Shock! He's another keep-it-on-the-ground guy. Career GB/FB of 1.13, GO/AO 1.82. He fits the new mold for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    I never cared for Ranaudo, but we sure love to sell low on our young players.
    Did you think that Ranaudo projected much better than Ross as a RP? If not then the swap may not be selling all that low -- just getting what Ranaudo could be today rather than in the future (assuming he has his 2012-13 success as a RP).

vCash
    If Ross was coming off a good year, sure. But we are buying very low on him too, he got destroyed last year.

vCash
    Ummm... what? ...

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

vCash
    Studs like Owens and Rodriguez need a spot in AAA to pitch next year. Might as well use the excess pitching depth to get something of use at the major league level.

All 3 of Rubby, Webster and Ranaudo had a chance to prove themselves at the ML level in the second half of 2014 and all 3 failed miserably. Remember?
    WTA Superstar

French Canadian ~ Eugenie Bouchard

vCash
    I wouldn't say Rubby failed miserably. Webster could have really succeeded in the pen with his swing and miss stuff. I'd say a trade of Owens/Rodriguez is completely off now.

What is our depth if a starting pitcher gets injured now? Owens and Rodriguez are not going to be considerations in the beginning of the season. Workman is going to be that rotation filler, which is absolutely idiotic. We need a good SP badly.

vCash
    Was curious to see everyone's thoughts on this. I feel it is a pretty "meh" trade for both teams.

From my perspective, Robbie is a decent 7th inning guy, problem is he is a lefty who doesn't get lefties out. He had good success in the past, but really struggled recently.

Think Texas is bringing in Ranaudo simply for 5th starter depth/project. They have been high on him for a while.

vCash
    Not a fan of this deal, then again I haven't liked anything management has done this offseason.

vCash
    Sold low on Ranaudo, but bought low on Ross. He could be a nice late-inning option out of the pen, he's had success there.

vCash
    May end up working out for us. May bite us in the arse. Hard to say not knowing

vCash
    This is a run of the mill bullpen.

vCash
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-p...f-robbie-ross/

Pretty nice article that kinda explains the FO point of view on this one... Its nice to see they do hace a plan, they arent just giving away prospects for some random guy...

vCash
    ^Thanks for sharing, very interesting read.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast