Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Your fantasy offseason, you are the GM

I saw this thread on the Sox prospects forum and looked for one here and couldn't find one, if there already is a thread like this feel free to close it immediately! Anyways, if you were the GM, how would your offseason go? Please be realistic, no Almanzar, Marrero, and Wilson for Stanton trade offers! My offseason would go like this:
    1. Trade Doubront, Ranaudo, WMB, Vazquez, and one of Buttrey/Callahan/McGrath for Giancarlo Stanton
    2. Trade Jake Peavy for prospects
    3. Sign Mike Napoli 3 years/30 million
    4. Sign Eric Chavez 1 year/ 7 million
    5. Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia 2 years/ 20 million
    6. Sign Roy Halladay 1 year/ 5 million
    7. Trade Mike Carp for prospects

RF- Shane Victorino
    2B- Dustin Pedroia
    DH- David Ortiz
    LF- Giancarlo Stanton
    1B- Mike Napoli
    SS- Xander Bogaerts
    C- Jarrod Saltalamacchia
    3B- Eric Chavez
    CF- Jackie Bradley Jr.

1. Jon Lester
    2. Clay Buchholz
    3. John Lackey
    4. Ryan Dempster
    5. Allen Webster/Rubby De La Rosa/Roy Halladay

The Marlins get a cost controlled left handed starter who put up a 2.97 ERA in the AL east for a 15 start stretch last year, a top pitching prospect, a very solid catching prospect, a power hitting 3B who a year ago was in consideration for ROY, and their choice of three high ceiling young pitchers for Stanton. That allows the Sox to move Nava between LF, RF, and 1B, which allows them to trade carp for more prospects to replenish the system after the Stanton trade. Chavez is a bridge for a year until Cecchini is ready, and Salty is back for two years to do the same for Swihart. Halladay allows the Red Sox to try out Webster and RDLR for the rotation while having a solid veteran on a low risk high reward contract to provide insurance, which minimizes the risk of trading Peavy. Mike Napoli gets his three year deal, at a lower cost than the 13 million per the Red Sox offered last year with the Rangers out of the mix after their Fielder trade.

vCash
    I think you have to summit this to RedSoxtober and let him post this

vCash
    In before the RST axe...

Quote Originally Posted by BCpatsox18 View Post
    I saw this thread on the Sox prospects forum and looked for one here and couldn't find one, if there already is a thread like this feel free to close it immediately! Anyways, if you were the GM, how would your offseason go? Please be realistic, no Almanzar, Marrero, and Wilson for Stanton trade offers! My offseason would go like this:
    1. Trade Doubront, Ranaudo, WMB, Vazquez, and one of Buttrey/Callahan/McGrath for Giancarlo Stanton
    2. Trade Jake Peavy for prospects
    3. Sign Mike Napoli 3 years/30 million
    4. Sign Eric Chavez 1 year/ 7 million
    5. Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia 2 years/ 20 million
    6. Sign Roy Halladay 1 year/ 5 million
    7. Trade Mike Carp for prospects
    Napoli will get a bigger contract than that.

Salty wants 3 or 4 years

Carp isn't worth much

Your trade for Stanton isn't awful, but it will take more, and I'd much rather roll with Vazquez in '15 and beyond (and Swihart in '16 and beyond) than Salty.

Chavez is likely to cost more than that unless his medicals are bad.

Halladay for a bullpen coach?

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    My thinking was that with Texas out on Nap there won't be another team willing to go three years, so maybe the dollar value per would go down, at least in my ideal world. Salty will also want more than 2 years but we over pay per year in my contract offer and again I don't think there will be much competition, I just think he's our best bridge option with Ruiz gone. Also I believe most teams would view Chavez as a platoon player which would diminish his value so around 7 seems like a good contract for him. And I'm probably wrong about halladay, but great pitchers tend to find a way and I think he'll be motivated in a big way next year to prove he's not done, and if he sucks oh well he's the long man in the pen and you roll with RDLR

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BCpatsox18 View Post
    My thinking was that with Texas out on Nap there won't be another team willing to go three years, so maybe the dollar value per would go down, at least in my ideal world. Salty will also want more than 2 years but we over pay per year in my contract offer and again I don't think there will be much competition, I just think he's our best bridge option with Ruiz gone. Also I believe most teams would view Chavez as a platoon player which would diminish his value so around 7 seems like a good contract for him. And I'm probably wrong about halladay, but great pitchers tend to find a way and I think he'll be motivated in a big way next year to prove he's not done, and if he sucks oh well he's the long man in the pen and you roll with RDLR
    Well, of course it's all opinion.

I see Napoli at 2/28ish or 3/42ish. It's much better for us to have him for two - even at 2/31.

I don't want Salty back under almost any circumstances, but two years would be the absolute max if we had to (which we don't). It's been proven that he's about 15% worse defensively than an ancient Tek, disinterested Shoppach, and an aging Ross. That's not 15% worse from one LF to another which might be 7 or 8 runs. That's 15% of a teams ERA - or about 0.45 earned runs per game - that's massive and his offense (mostly against AAAA/5th SP's) doesn't come close to making up for it. I can't imagine us signing him again.

Chavez at his level of excellence against RHP - meaning about 120 starts per year, is about as much as he can play at this point, so it makes no difference. 3B is a total wasteland this year in terms of FA's, he's head and shoulders above anybody out there for 2014 - in particular since he's basically a year to year guy.

Hallady is a proud guy, he won't want to work out of the pen. His FB is down 4 MPH off his prime to an anemic 88.8. Hes' pitched 218 innings combined his last two seasons. He's been taking advantage of the NL for a few years. He'd get pole axed in the AL East now unless he finds the fountain of youth.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Meh, I'll leave it out there but yes, we'll do this right after Thanksgiving.

vCash
    Free Agents:
    1B Mike Napoli, 2 years $33 million
    3B Eric Chavez, 1 year $9.5 million
    C John Buck, 1 year $6 million

Trades:
    LA Dodgers acquire Jake Peavy in exchange for Andre Ethier and $10 million cash.

1. R Victorino RF
    2. R Pedroia 2B
    3. L Ortiz DH
    4. R Napoli 1B
    5. L Ethier LF (Gomes vs LHP)
    6. R Bogaerts SS
    7. L Chavez 3B (Middlebrooks vs LHP)
    8. R Buck C (Ross)
    9. L Bradley Jr. CF

- Nava LF/RF/1B
    - Enter cheap middle infielder's name here.

Lester
    Buchholz
    Lackey
    Doubront
    Dempster/Wilson

R Uehara
    L Bailey
    R Tazawa
    L Miller
    R Badenhop
    L Morales
    R Workman

I'd like to add a Francisco Rodriguez to the mix of Free Agent acquisitions but I think the Badenhop trade may have eliminated that idea.
    WTA's Next Rising Superstar

French Canadian Eugenie Bouchard

vCash
    I like the Ethier idea. I have always liked him as a player, and we all know the buddy-buddy connection with Pedroia, that can't hurt. It makes some sense with the glut of OF'ers in LA, but on the same note, the Red Sox aren't exactly without OF options:

Presumed starters at this moment:

Jonny Gomes
    Jackie Bradley, Jr.
    Shane Victorino

Platoon in LF: Daniel Nava

Others: Mike Carp, Alex Hassan, Alex Castellanos

Now, that doesn't look like the star studded outfield everyone wants, but there's a lot there. I can fully see the team standing pat.

There are also the Matt Kemp rumors, which make a bit more sense to me. The Red Sox clearly have the prospects to make a blockbuster deal to secure someone like Kemp, or Giancarlo Stanton. I wonder if the right package also may pry Jay Bruce away from Cincinnati.

Another option is of course to just add a depth piece in the OF on the cheap - Grady Sizemore? Brennan Boesch? Jeff Franceour?
    Here's to feeling good all the time.

vCash
    Rotation and bullpen are set IMO, no need to trade them away just to do it, only if a good deal comes along.

Sign Napoli for 2-3 years, $15 million.

Trade a prospect outside the top 10-15 for Hanigan.

Trade Carp somewhere for a 5th OF who can play CF/RF at Fenway (I heard somewhere that Colorado might look into Carp....).

Sign a UIF who can play 2B/SS/3B (Bloomquist maybe? Has played every position in baseball but P and C, decent contact hitter for a UIF).

RF-Victorino R
    2B-Pedroia R
    DH-Ortiz L
    1B-Napoli R
    SS-Bogaerts R
    LF-Nava/Gomes L/R platoon
    3B-Middlebrooks R
    C-Hanigan R
    CF-JBJ L

Bench: C Ross, UIF Bloomquist, 5th OF

Lester
    Lackey