Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Sox attend Yoan Moncada workout

The Sox were among teams that attended 19-year-old Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada’s recent workout in Guatemala.

“It was a good opportunity just to lay eyes on him, to see him physically for the first time,” Sox international scouting director Eddie Romero said. “He’s in tremendous shape. We’ll do our due diligence there and see where it goes.”
    Boston Herald

vCash
    One of the most interesting free agents this offseason is unlikely to open 2015 in the big leagues. Yoan Moncada, a 19-year-old Cuban infielder who could receive a signing bonus of $30 million to $40 million (with teams paying a penalty of 100 percent on his bonus due to the rules governing international amateur free agents who are under the age of 23), recently worked out for teams in Guatemala.

The Red Sox — who have already blown past their recommended international amateur bonus pool for the 2014-15 signing season, adding top 16-year-old pitchers Anderson Espinoza and Christopher Acosta — are considered to be a team that could be in the mix for Moncada, who was declared a free agent by Major League Baseball but who is still waiting for clearance from the U.S. government to negotiate with teams. Red Sox amateur international scouting director Eddie Romero, prior to an event for the Foundation To Be Named Later, was among those in attendance at Moncada’s workout.

“It was a good opportunity just to lay eyes on him, to see him physically for the first time. He’s in tremendous shape, tremendous shape,” said Romero. “We’ll do our due diligence there and see where it goes.”
    weei.com

vCash
    For Grk's Christmas Present, this is the player that I secretly want the most outside of Jon Lester.

vCash
    MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo spoke to multiple scouts who were on-hand, with one scout giving Moncada a 60 hit-tool, 60 power, 70 speed, a 60 arm and a 50 in terms of fielding. That's a five tool athlete. He's considered on par for his age with Yasiel Puig for the leagues he played in, and projected to be better than Rusney Castillo or Yasmany Tomas.
    On an 80 scale that's pretty impressive for a guy I've barely heard of until a month ago

Anyone have more insight on him as a player? I remember reading he's much more solid at 2b/3b than SS, but he's capable there as well. How many years away is he? Where would he start in the system? High A?

vCash
    At 19 I would assume that he'd start in either Greenville or Salem. While that could be below his present ability it'd allow him to get used to life in the US, the rigors of pro ball, etc without excessive pressure.

We've got a lot of guys who fit into this "might be a SS... or 2b or 3b" mold right now though. It's getting increasingly difficult to place them all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkGawdofWalkz:29285979
    For Grk's Christmas Present, this is the player that I secretly want the most outside of Jon Lester.
    Here here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    At 19 I would assume that he'd start in either Greenville or Salem. While that could be below his present ability it'd allow him to get used to life in the US, the rigors of pro ball, etc without excessive pressure.

We've got a lot of guys who fit into this "might be a SS... or 2b or 3b" mold right now though. It's getting increasingly difficult to place them all.
    From Ben Balder's scouting report he's played all infield spots but SS. He's played 2B, 3B, and a little centerfield. Still definitely need to get him signed.

vCash
    If we miss out on Lester and Sandoval, we should put all of our eggs in this basket. It would be nice knowing there is a superstar switch hitting 3rd baseman well on his way in this Red Sox farm system for once. Could you imagine 2018?

2B Mookie Betts
    3B Yoan Moncada
    SS Xander Bogaerts

WTA Superstar

French Canadian ~ Eugenie Bouchard

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkGawdofWalkz View Post
    From Ben Balder's scouting report he's played all infield spots but SS. He's played 2B, 3B, and a little centerfield. Still definitely need to get him signed.
    Sure. I was speaking much more about where he'd fit in the farm than the spot he'd play.

vCash
    This isone of our balls to the walls year lets go get him

vCash
    I think we'll be outbid as we probably won't need help in any of the positions he plays for a while...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matnautico
    I think we'll be outbid as we probably won't need help in any of the positions he plays for a while...
    Maybe not currently, but you never know. Come time for him to make the show, we may be able to use him at 3b or SS. Just a few years ago WMB looked like a surefire lock at 3b, now we had to go out and get 2 bats because he and XB haven't proven to live up to their potential (yet - I've not given up on XB).

If we don't get Lester and have to move some key prospects for pitching, I'd sign this kid without a second thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theGhost-isGone View Post
    Maybe not currently, but you never know. Come time for him to make the show, we may be able to use him at 3b or SS. Just a few years ago WMB looked like a surefire lock at 3b, now we had to go out and get 2 bats because he and XB haven't proven to live up to their potential (yet - I've not given up on XB).

If we don't get Lester and have to move some key prospects for pitching, I'd sign this kid without a second thought.
    You do not sign a guy for a 60-80M signing bonus, unless you have a clear need.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matnautico
    Quote Originally Posted by theGhost-isGone

Yes I agree, but I think we can safely say we have no idea what moves are left. If we miss on Lester/Scherzer/Shields we may be inclined to move Bogaerts. Like I said, you never know what might happen, whether it be injuries, trades, or players not performing/living up to expectations. I think he's going to be a stud. If I had the money, I'd sign him regardless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matnautico View Post
    Well, you dont know what SS/3B are going to look like in a few years.

If Hanley is in left, and Pablo or Hanley makes their way to DH, we'll have a spot. XB is a great young prospect but we all thought the same of WMB and look how that turned out. Pedy isn't getting younger either.

Guess it all depends on how far away Moncada is, how much faith you have in your current infield, and whether or not you believe he could be an asset.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast