Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scout: Derrick Morgan “100 percent” the pick for the Dolphins

The Dolphins’ complex is as secure as Fort Knox when it comes to draft information leaking out.

But back in February, one NFL scout caught wind of the the team’s interest in Georgia Tech pass rusher Derrick Morgan.

Two months later, the scout has no doubt the team is going to select Morgan with the No. 12 pick if he’s available Thursday night.

“I 100 percent do,” the scout said. “He’s the guy. I can’t guarantee it, but if I was a betting man I would put my money on Morgan.

“To me, he fits the mold like a glove. It’s perfect.”

The 21-year-old Morgan, a college defensive end who would move to linebacker in the Dolphins’ 3-4 alignment, is an athletic 6-foot-3, 268-pound pass rusher who’s also stout against the run.

“He’s got the size that the (Bill) Parcells regime demands from the rush linebacker,” NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said. “I don’t know if he’s an elite pass rusher, but he’s close.”

Morgan can play in a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme, which places him the radar of several teams ahead of the Dolphins, including Cleveland (No. 7) and Jacksonville (No. 10).

If Morgan is gone, Tennessee nose tackle Dan Williams might be next in line as Miami looks to beef up its defense. But the Buffalo Bills, slotted at No. 9, will switch to the 3-4 in 2010 and could beat the Dolphins to the punch.

This could leave Texas safety Earl Thomas the best option, though ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay says, “I don’t see them taking a safety in the first round,” McShay said. “When you’re picking at that spot, you have to take advantage of it with a pass rusher or possibly a nose tackle.”

McShay said University of South Florida’s Jason Pierre-Paul could be a wild card – “a freakish athlete” who played just one season at the Division-I level.

Speaking Saturday on ESPN Radio, draftnik Mel Kiper Jr. predicted the Dolphins would select TCU’s pass rusher Jerry Hughes, who had 26 sacks the past two seasons.

But with Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall in place, there’s little debate defense is the No. 1 priority with the draft four days away.
    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/theda...-the-dolphins/

But will he be there, I've got mixed feelings about him. But I mean I wouldn't be disappointed with the pick.

I read this as well... but it screams smokescreen to me.

I dont think Tuna would let something this major slip.... that said - if Morgan was the pick I would be very pleased. He's exactly what we need coming off the edge....

Posted this in the draft thread like a week ago lol. I still believe Morgan will be gone at the Jags pick so we will not have a chance to take him.

Smokescreen??? I'd be ok with the pick. I have always felt that Derrick Morgan was the best football player out of the olb prospects. It was just a question of whether he could make the position switch. As long as Miami liked what they saw when he worked out then he could very well be the pick at #12. I'd still rather trade down though

Derrick Morgan would be a good pickup, but by no means is it 100 percent sure thing. We dont telegraph our picks.

Derek where are you? your our smokescreen expert! lol

Just speculation on who he thinks is a fit... Not inside info... I'm sure the trio had interest in a lot of guys 2 months ago. They've had a lot of time to shorten the list though.

this could def be true or it could be a smokescreen

Lets take Spiller and have fun on Madden 2011, lol

rather get JPP, just my opinion.

I'd be 100% shocked if we went with JPP. Not saying he won't pan out. I'm just saying Tuna likes more experienced players as opposed to athletes... We shall see though!

eh...
    he might not be there
    i still see a trade down-

New sig needed!!!!

NFL-Miami Dolphins
    CFL-BC lions
    NCAA- OSU/Florida/UM
    Soccer- Arsenal
    UFC- GSP

Everyone knows Morgan is a likely canidate.

Has the size, speed, experience, smart kid, and attitude that Parcells loves!

I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the card at #12!

i'd prolly take him if he's there and we cant trade down, either him or earl thomas, has to be one of those two in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastPhan View Post
    i'd prolly take him if he's there and we cant trade down, either him or earl thomas, has to be one of those two in my opinion.
    Mine too

My personal draft board (for what its worth)

Derek Morgan
    Earl Thomas
    CJ Spiller
    Dan Williams
    Brandon Graham

That's what I'd do - personally....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast