Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    vCash

1 question!! if we sign amare to a max how much in cap space does that leave us with

if we sign amare for 5 years 100 million how much does that leaves us in cap and can we still sign another max??? n still have capspace to sign a max next year????????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by knicksboy123 View Post
    if we sign amare for 5 years 100 million how much does that leaves us in cap and can we still sign another max??? n still have capspace to sign a max next year????????
    Well it looks like it's more like 5yrs/$95M but that's not really a big deal -- either way we'd still have more than enough for a second max.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash

Does the $$ work to have these players?

I don't know how all the money stuff works with the NBA, but was wondering about the possibility of the following players being on the roster. Could this be a possibility if the money/contracts worked?

C - J. Jordan
    PF - Staudamire
    SF - Carmelo
    SG - J. Johnson
    PG - T. Parker
    G - A. Rautins
    SF - L. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vcmets View Post
    I don't know how all the money stuff works with the NBA, but was wondering about the possibility of the following players being on the roster. Could this be a possibility if the money/contracts worked?

C - J. Jordan
    PF - Staudamire
    SF - Carmelo
    SG - J. Johnson
    PG - T. Parker
    G - A. Rautins
    SF - L. Fields
    No.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    No.
    Ari this made me LOL

Now I can't fly my airplane

vCash

Salary Cap Tax Strategy ?

In the past Knicks Gms like Layden and Thomas utilized the strategy of bringing in high payed ( overly payed players ) as they were cheap to get talent wise and Dolan paid the salary cap tax. Am I correct ? They just had a mish mash collection of over payed talents that made no sense like Francis, Marbury, Randolph, and many others.
    Walsh has taken the approach to trade all the fat and get under the cap to sign talented free agents. I kow this is obvious. But could a return to the earlier strategy be on the horizon once the knicks aquire two cornerstone free agents ? IS that they Knicks advantage ?
    Could they be telling James " Once we sign you and Amare we simply will go over the cap to accept bad contracts for players that will serve our needs "
    Lets face it many teams will be willing to shed themselves of some bad contracts over the next few years. Will the Knicks just do what former GM did just more intelligently in the future ?

vCash
    Cant quite work like that, once were over the cap its a case of using the mid level exception each year...that was Isiahs policy, its around 5.85mill atm i think (stilla?) and can be used all on one or split up.

Like what Lakers just did on Blake

England's Number 1 Knick

vCash
    So one team above the salary cap can't match up salaries and take back additional salary and get taxed ? Or am I thinking of the baseball salary cap. But thanks again Sturge. And I agree with you Danillo is an all star in the making even without a second all star but imagine how good he would be with AMare on one side and Lebron on the other. He would be drving alot and I am sure developing a mid range shot off the dribble. Plus he is not a baby on defense.

vCash
    Hey, your question is better suited here

Still a fan is a cap guru so he'll be able to answer your question

LBJ 2015

vCash
    here is the thing about going over the cap:

there are a few ways to accomplish this:

1. as you said in the past we would trade basically expiring or 1 yr left on players contracts and take back higher salaries, rules are 125% + 100K you can go over in a trade:

2. the next way is you have vet players like Boston now, and they renew their contracts like Pierce just did, and then you resign your FA's like Ray maybe, and it keeps you over the cap....with Bird rights and signing your own its quite easy to go over the cap...

3. the next thing is rookie scale contracts end, so players like Durant, westbrook will demand big pay days, so to retain your draft picks you then go over the cap....

4. now you sign max guy's and they get from 8% to 10.5% depending on bird rights so these raises take you over the cap as well, along with rookie scale increases like Gallo's will go up 1 mil next yr..

5. and of course teams with money will go get MLE players and pay the 5.8MIL not fearing lux tax....

You simply can't say okay Lebron we signed you and another and we will now go out and get more and go over the cap and pay lux tax.....CBA rules still pertain, but what I mentioned above can take you over....

If your looking for what the pitch was to Lebron, yead Dolan most probably said whatever it takes, even if its high lux tax i'll get players...

For example say the Knicks find a trade partner for eddy curry, he makes 11.3 mil by league rules the Knicks can get a player back that makes up to 14.1 mil....so this is a possibility down the line....

The other thing Dolan could do is to make the team a champion team is take a 10 mil player and pay him that 14 mil so he comes to our team instead of elsewhere....

The bottom line, any team that gets a Lebron or Wade that team will act like the Lakers and Kobe and get the best possible players....or go get up and coming stars that teams know they can't afford on the next contract so they get a player making 5 mil but next contract they can make 15 mil.....that will surely get a team like the Knicks in lux tax area....but with that roster Dolan won't care....

He didn't care with a crappy roster, so it has to be a great selling tool.....

Good question.......

vCash
    I think we definitely see NY paying the lux tax by 2012. Think about it this way -- we're definitely going to spend at least up to the cap this year -- and probably 10M more once you add in the vet min deals (and the $6M guy we can sneak away with in a Lee S&T). So let's make it a round $65M for the year.

Tack on 8% raises for 2 max guys = $2.5M more. Tack on about $1.5M more in raises for Gallo/Douglas/Walker/2nd rounders and we're up to $4M more altogether. We'll match an MLE on Chandler so that's $4M more than he's currently making for a total of $8M. Plus we'll also sign a new MLE guy ($5.5M); a first rounder ($1.5M); and an LLE guy ($2M). In return 3 vet mins will be gone (-$3M).

All in all now we're up a total of $14M over this current season taking us up to $79M and well into the luxury tax (which will be around $71M).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    I think we definitely see NY paying the lux tax by 2012. Think about it this way -- we're definitely going to spend at least up to the cap this year -- and probably 10M more once you add in the vet min deals (and the $6M guy we can sneak away with in a Lee S&T). So let's make it a round $65M for the year.

Tack on 8% raises for 2 max guys = $2.5M more. Tack on about $1.5M more in raises for Gallo/Douglas/Walker/2nd rounders and we're up to $4M more altogether. We'll match an MLE on Chandler so that's $4M more than he's currently making for a total of $8M. Plus we'll also sign a new MLE guy ($5.5M); a first rounder ($1.5M); and an LLE guy ($2M). In return 3 vet mins will be gone (-$3M).

All in all now we're up a total of $14M over this current season taking us up to $79M and well into the luxury tax (which will be around $71M).
    Plus I think Curry will be gone by the trade deadline, so thats more money to take on next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aNYer View Post
    Plus I think Curry will be gone by the trade deadline, so thats more money to take on next season.
    yep up to 14MIL so the lux tax will be huge......

vCash
    STEIN_LINE_HQ

Officially salary cap number is $58,044,000, up from $57.7 million last season. Tax line rises to $70.3 million, up from $69.9 million 3 minutes ago via TweetDeck
    Twitter

vCash
    Can anyone actually calculate how much a Max will be now?
    Since 16.6 was the Max for a 56.1 million cap would the new CAP be around 17.4?

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast