Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Yeah he'll either start in the GCL or possibly the DSL (Dominican Summer League).

vCash
    The Twins are going to move Sano very slowly to be sure he's not over-matched in any level, I'm sure. The fact that he's only 16 has to be taken into consideration as well. He may not be ready to play beyond a rookie league for a couple of seasons.

vCash
    I'd start him at 3B right now for us.

Seriously though, he said his goal was to make it to the majors in 2 years. I doubt that's going to happen (I'm thinking he'll make his debut for us when he's 21) but weirder things have happened. Justin Upton made his debut when he was 19.

vCash
    Major leaguers typically are in their prime in their late 20s early 30s. Why start their clock to the big contract too early? This way we can let them go much like Hunter. At an opportune moment, that is.

Its all about making the most out of the least. It works.

vCash
    Sano was an investment for the 2014-2015 season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSU Tony View Post
    Major leaguers typically are in their prime in their late 20s early 30s. Why start their clock to the big contract too early? This way we can let them go much like Hunter. At an opportune moment, that is.

Its all about making the most out of the least. It works.
    The Twins are opening the checkbook these days though. I think it's bad for the game manipulating the contract status that way. I want to see more 300 game winners, 3000 hit and 500 homerun guys. It gets much more difficult when the GM's take away a couple of years.

vCash
    If the guy is ready to play when he's 19 or 20, I believe he'll be called up. Look at Mauer for example. Like nick said, we're using more money these days and if Sano ends up turning into the HanRam-Pujols hybrid that he's been described as, I doubt we'd keep him in the minors just because we're worrying about starting his clock.

vCash
    Rochester: Perk blew *** again today going just 3.1 innings giving up 7 R (5 ER). His ERA is at 9.95 for the season. How can a guy so ****** at what he does be known as such a cocky *******? Valencia had a couple hits and a walk and Dustin Martin hit his 3rd HR of the year. Another great start to the season for D-Mart but he typically ends it in bad fashion.

Beloit: The Snappers threw their 2nd consecutive shutout in a 1-0 win. Hicks went 2-3 with a double but was caught stealing for the 3rd time already. Morales hit his 2nd HR of the season. Osterbrock went 6.1 innings surrendering 3 hits, 2 BB's, and striking out 6.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    The Twins are opening the checkbook these days though. I think it's bad for the game manipulating the contract status that way. I want to see more 300 game winners, 3000 hit and 500 homerun guys. It gets much more difficult when the GM's take away a couple of years.
    The Twins were also VERY leary of handing out more than a 1 year deal to FA this past season. They know Mauers new contract starts next year. Don't expect this to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by cwilson21 View Post
    If the guy is ready to play when he's 19 or 20, I believe he'll be called up. Look at Mauer for example. Like nick said, we're using more money these days and if Sano ends up turning into the HanRam-Pujols hybrid that he's been described as, I doubt we'd keep him in the minors just because we're worrying about starting his clock.
    That's not exactly going out onto a limb. And now that we're back to reality, we wait until we're sure he's ready before we bring him up. We want a polished MLB-ready player like Span, not a raw kid who's clock started too early, Gomez.

vCash
    Liam Hendriks has been named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week for this week. Here is a story: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...=.jsp&sid=t554

vCash
    By the way CW, what do you think of Blevins, the Snappers' closer?

vCash
    back to sano...the announcer of the KC Royals was on the PA show a couple days ago, and they were talking about Alex Gordon...the KC announcer said something along the lines of the minors are like a farm, and you cant pull your crops to early, the royals pulled Gordon to early, and that crop will never become what it should have been...we need to be patient with Sano, but by the time this guy is 20, he will have been in the minors 4 years already, we may see a very young rookie for us within a couple years...lot of hype around this kid, I hope he lives up to it

vCash
    -
    Last edited by MattyG; 08-30-2010 at 10:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSU Tony View Post
    The Twins were also VERY leary of handing out more than a 1 year deal to FA this past season. They know Mauers new contract starts next year. Don't expect this to continue.

That's not exactly going out onto a limb. And now that we're back to reality, we wait until we're sure he's ready before we bring him up. We want a polished MLB-ready player like Span, not a raw kid who's clock started too early, Gomez.
    -And for good reason. Did you expect us to sign Pavano, Hudson, and Thome to more than one-year deals? Nobody did. Pavano was solid for us last year and we needed a veteran stop-gap presence in the rotation this year. With a great arm like Gibson probably ready next season (yes I guarantee he makes the rotation next year), why sign Pavano to a multi-year deal when he's been injured and mediocre? Hudson has had trouble finding a multi-year contract from any team the past couple of years and will continue to since he's already 32 (will be 33 Opening day of '11) and has regressed on defense. Thome is in the twilight of his career and nobody would offer a multi-year deal to a guy who only hits righties now.

-Hahahaha. A polished MLB-ready player like Span? Do you remember what he did in the minors? HE WAS ****ING TERRIBLE.

Denard Span: 2101 AB's, .287/.357/.358 (.716), SB% of less than 66% (horrible), and a BB:SO ratio of .59:1 (terrible for a guy who can't hit)

Span was nothing in the minors. To call him "polished" is even more hysterical. All the credit for Span's ML success needs to go to whoever performed his eye surgery. As for Gomez, not our fault the Mets ****ed with him. The guy even showed in the minors that he was far from ready yet those dumbasses still called him up. Here's his minor league stats:

Carlos Gomez: 1291 AB's, .278/.339/.399 (.738), SB% of 78%, and a BB:SO ratio of just .33:1

Gomez in fact, was better than Span in the minors whether it be hitting, stealing bases, or playing defense.

The Twins won't call up Jean (I'll use Miguel's official last name Jean from now on) til he's ready which could come when he's 19, 20, or even when he's 24. Considering a lot of scouts have compared him to Pujols and Ramirez offensively, I said that I could see him in the big leagues when he's 19 or 20. Miguel Cabrera was called up when he was 20 after OPS'ing over 1.000 with the AA club. Justin Upton raked in the minor leagues and was called up before his 20th birthday. These guys proved they were ready and haven't looked back since. I doubt we'll call Jean up to the bigs if he's putting together a Gomez-like slash line. I'm of the opinion that Jean will tear up the minors, move quickly through the system and will be given a chance to take over 3B to start the 2013 season.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJesus View Post
    back to sano...the announcer of the KC Royals was on the PA show a couple days ago, and they were talking about Alex Gordon...the KC announcer said something along the lines of the minors are like a farm, and you cant pull your crops to early, the royals pulled Gordon to early, and that crop will never become what it should have been...we need to be patient with Sano, but by the time this guy is 20, he will have been in the minors 4 years already, we may see a very young rookie for us within a couple years...lot of hype around this kid, I hope he lives up to it
    I just think that's ********.

Gordon was the #2 overall pick in 2005 after absolutely killing in college ball (he OPS'ed .921 his first season, 1.247 his 2nd season, and 1.233 his 3rd and final year). Over his last 2 years there, he stole 35 bases while only being caught 5 times and he walked more than he struckout.

His only year in the minors was at AA Wichita where in 486 AB's, he hit .325/.427/.588 (1.015) while stealing 22 bags and only being caught 3 times. Gordon was the #2 overall prospect in the game going into 2007 and proved that he was ready for ML pitching. The guy ****ing OPS'ed in 3 straight years. Competition or not, you're doing something right.

He made his debut in 2007 when he was 23 years old. He had enough experience from Nebraska and Wichita that it made perfect sense to give him the reigns to 3B to start the year. He had nothing to prove in the minors. Did the KC announcer think he was going to stay in the minors til he was 25? Come on. The dude was ready but has just been a disappointment as a major leaguer. For every great college player that doesn't fulfill expectations like Gordon, there's one who does like Ryan Braun.
    Last edited by cwilson21; 04-20-2010 at 01:01 AM.

vCash
    Wilson is on a tear today, yikes.

Span was polished. He understood the game. He understood scenarios. He understands how to bunt. He understands how the game is played.

Gomez runs around like a chicken with his head cut off. He is as far from polished as they come.

You don't have to have a good K/B ratio in the minors to be polished.

As far as the contrats: No, I don't expect more than 1 year deals out of Pavano or Hudson. The fact that the Twins even searched for these players shows they were looking for 1 year deals. You are completely insane if you expect the Twins to spend money this next off season. It's simply not going to happen. They have spent enough to make Twins fans happy and have a competitive club. That's all they'll spend. Period.

These arguments that are made which can't be proven otherwise by stats must really piss you off, huh? (Span, the older "polished" player, and the Twins not wanting to spend money beyond next year)

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast