Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Trevor May

vCash

Trevor May

I don't think I'm the only one who has waited for May to be called up. I didn't watch his start against the A's or his relief appearance but I'll be tuning in tonight. It looks like a lack of control was the issue for his first two appearances.

This is a big start tonight for the kid. If he wants to pitch in the majors for the rest of the year he'll have to show some control tonight.

vCash
    He has a tendency to try to "overthrow" at times. He needs to relax and let his stuff do what it can do. Easier said than done, though.

vCash
    he'll have an even tougher test tonight.......depending on which Verlander is on the mound...and how p'd the Tigers are after last night
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    He didn't look really bad today, He didn't walk anyone and that has been a stumbling point for him thusfar in his career.

vCash
    The more I see this kid pitch, the more I think he's going to be a "power-arm" out of the bullpen. He can blow people away for about 40 pitches and then he loses something.

vCash
    His main issue after looking at his splits is pitching with runners on base. Bases empty in 2014 (mostly minor leagues) .206/.266/.294 (.560 OPS). With runners on - .297/.409/.443 (.852 OPS)

Maybe it's how he pitches from the stretch? With a pitcher who walks tons of batters he had better figure out how to throw more strikes, pitch better from the stretch, or both.

His home/away splits are almost as drastic has his bases empty vs runners on splits... FYI.

vCash
    Trevor pitched a lot better tonight and picked up his 1st major league win.

vCash
    Yesterday's performance was a bit more encouraging. 3 runs on 5 hits and 10 Ks in 6 innings, but best of all was no walks. Hopefully, he can build on this performance and continue improving.

vCash
    Saw the box score and almost **** myself. Twins pitchers don't get 10K's in a game... Of course Hughes had his career high just a few nights earlier.

As much as the stats would indicate a lack of control from May - I think he's trying to make the perfect pitch. He needs to not be afraid to give up a hit from time to time. Instead of trying to throw the corners every pitch, know when the situation calls for throwing a strike. Don't lay it belt high dead center, of course, but realize a walks is almost as bad as giving up a hit.