Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Avs' Mueller out with concussion after blind-side hit

Avalanche winger Peter Mueller, who has 20 points in 15 games since joining the club via trade on March 3, will likely miss the final week of the regular season with a concussion.

"Right now, he's out indefinitely," Avs coach Joe Sacco said Monday after practice.

After scoring twice in Sunday's game against the San Jose Sharks, Mueller absorbed a blind-side bump from former Avs defenseman Rob Blake, and he crashed hard into the end boards.

Mueller had to be helped off the ice and never returned to the game.

Mueller, who had 20 points in his first 15 games with the Avs, did not suffer injuries to his shoulder or leg, as first feared.

Colorado went on to win 5-4 in overtime to take a two-point lead over Calgary for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

The Avs begin a two-game road trip Tuesday at Vancouver, then visit Edmonton on Wednesday. Colorado concludes the regular season with two home games Friday against Chicago and Sunday against Los Angeles.

"He will not be making the road trip (and) I have no time table right now," Sacco said of Mueller, who was acquired from Phoenix in the Wojtek Wolski trade.

"There's no question, Peter has been an important player for us, and a very useful player for us since the trade.

"But, like we've done all year long, we have to rally around it and other people have to raise their level and step into an opportunity maybe that they didn't have before ... and seize the moment. We've had guys do that all year."
    http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_14823184

vCash
    Damn that sucks. Thanks for the cheap shot Rob Blake. I know it was the end of the game but I would have liked to see someone step up and get back at Blake.

vCash
    So I guess the NHL won't suspend the good players.

#PoseyHugs #SanchezHugs

vCash
    Great, just what we needed.

^Click for Video^
    Props to Mane for the sig.

vCash
    VANCOUVER – Well, so much for Joe Sacco listening to me. Craig Anderson will get the start tomorrow against the Canucks, eschewing my suggestion to go with Peter Budaj and give Andy some rest entering Wednesday’s game with the Oilers.

Does this mean Sacco might play Budaj against Edmonton? Don’t know. He’s not saying.

Tough news today on the Peter Mueller concussion. Because they are totally unpredictable injuries, nobody knows when he’ll be back. Right now, nobody knows. Mueller had a previous concussion in Phoenix, so this wasn’t the first one. We just have to wait and see. At least there was the good news that no other injuries – to the shoulder or knee – were sustained.

David Jones will come on the trip, but won’t play. My guess is Brandon Yip will take Mueller’s spot on the Duchene-Hejduk line, but we’ll know for sure at the morning skate tomorrow.

The Avs can weather this. Just have to have other guys raise their games a little. Hey, I’m thinking positive here.
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2010...-net-tomorrow/