Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 56
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,186
    vCash
    500

    Jaime Garcia named 5th starter

    Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch confirmed Wednesday that left-hander Jaime Garcia has been named the Cardinals' fifth starter.
    Garcia, 23, has posted an impressive 1.42 ERA and 13/5 K/BB ratio in 12 2/3 innings this spring and provides the Cardinals the luxury of having a left-hander in their already stellar starting rotation. It's rare for a rookie to be given such responsibility in a Tony La Russa-run clubhouse, but the 23-year-old from Mexico clearly deserved the nod. He had solid strikeout numbers in the minors and deserves a look in deep mixed leagues because he will stumble into some wins on a strong offensive team. Kyle McClellan will head to the bullpen. It's not clear what the Cards will do with Rich Hill.
    roto

    hes done the best in the spring. i think he deserves it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    1,805
    vCash
    1500
    Wonder what this means for Hill. Released? Outrighted? Bullpen?

    Pick is in.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,186
    vCash
    500
    hes pitched in 78 games and started 70 of them. im not sure how he'd do in the bullpen. but they may keep him as long relief if someone gets roughed up early so he can eat innings and if someone gets hurt they can plug him into the rotation

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,466
    vCash
    1500
    thought he would end up getting the job. hes pitched the best. wouldnt mind keeping hill somewhere though. in the minors or bullpen even though we are set in leftys there. hill had some good moments this spring. maybe he keeps workings in the minors and we call him up if needed? idk.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    1,805
    vCash
    1500
    Four man rotation anybody?

    Pick is in.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    ILSTU
    Posts
    7,526
    vCash
    1500
    i hope hill agree's to going to the minors. nobody will want him in their rotation with the spring he's had, along with the 2009 track record.

    he would still be nice to have in case someone in the rotation gets hurt. i think someone will have a pretty big injury. Lohse and Penny are always questionable, and carp and wain pitched their shoulders off last season so who knows

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,611
    vCash
    1500
    Glad Garcia got the job. He has pitched very well this spring. Hopefully Hill will go to the minors..He is definitely a nice guy to have in case one of our starters has to miss some time.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    St. Louis/ Lake of the Ozarks
    Posts
    6,227
    vCash
    1500
    Jaime, that is pretty cool. I was hoping that it was either him or McClellan. I like the fact that Garcia is a lefty as well. It adds some depth and dimension to the already pretty solid rotation. I like it. Congrats to him for coming back from injury and making the club. I hope he has a good season.
    St. Louis Cardinals
    St. Louis Blues
    Miami Heat
    Minnesota Vikings

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,039
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by CardzRule View Post
    Four man rotation anybody?
    Wainwright's shoulder might implode after pitching more innings than he ever has last year, already. Throw 300 more on this year, and you might not be seeing him again until 2012.

    And Carpenter would definitely get hurt....that's not really even a debate.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,186
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Milnertime View Post
    Wainwright's shoulder might implode after pitching more innings than he ever has last year, already. Throw 300 more on this year, and you might not be seeing him again until 2012.

    And Carpenter would definitely get hurt....that's not really even a debate.
    sounds like ur hoping for a lot of injuries for the cards so ur cubs have a slight chance at the NL central title. we arent the cubs bud, not every1 on are team is gonna get injured...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,860
    vCash
    1500
    im lovin it

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,039
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by whitekimbo View Post
    sounds like ur hoping for a lot of injuries for the cards so ur cubs have a slight chance at the NL central title. we arent the cubs bud, not every1 on are team is gonna get injured...
    Ok, thanks bud.

    I was responding to his comment, bud.

    You know, bud. The one that suggested a 4 man rotation, bud.

    He said it in jest (get out your dictionary for that one) but I answered as if he were really proposing it.

    Bud.

    Oh, and BTW, this spring you've already had injury issues with Pujols, Holliday, Molina, and Ryan to go along with the checkered health pasts of Carpenter, Penny, Lohse, and Garcia. Molina has missed chunks of time here and there over the years, as well.

    Also, in case you weren't aware (which I'm sure you weren't) the Cardinals were in it in 2008 almost all season until injuries caught up with them. Don't try to pretend that the Cardinals are some beacon of perfect health. The Cardinals and Cubs are both one or two injuries away from being irrelevant in the NL Central discussion.
    Last edited by Milnertime; 03-25-2010 at 08:10 AM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    519
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Milnertime View Post
    Ok, thanks bud.

    I was responding to his comment, bud.

    You know, bud. The one that suggested a 4 man rotation, bud.

    He said it in jest (get out your dictionary for that one) but I answered as if he were really proposing it.

    Bud.

    Oh, and BTW, this spring you've already had injury issues with Pujols, Holliday, Molina, and Ryan to go along with the checkered health pasts of Carpenter, Penny, Lohse, and Garcia. Molina has missed chunks of time here and there over the years, as well.

    Also, in case you weren't aware (which I'm sure you weren't) the Cardinals were in it in 2008 almost all season until injuries caught up with them. Don't try to pretend that the Cardinals are some beacon of perfect health. The Cardinals and Cubs are both one or two injuries away from being irrelevant in the NL Central discussion.
    Any team can be a couple injuries away from being irrelevant. I dont think anyone has said that we are going to be injury free or not have to worry about it. It was said that we should keep Hill in case someone does go down, so he could fill in if needed.

    Jest: an utterance (as a jeer or quip) intended to be taken as mockery or humor. If you knew he said it in jest, why would you respond as if he was serious. If I said, "Hey lets trade Pujols and get Troy Glaus back," which is obviously in jest, would you respond to me as if I really proposed it?

    Back on the true subject of this topic, Im fine with having Garcia as the 5th starter. It will give him some more experience if nothing else and he can grow into a solid starter.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,039
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by whitekimbo View Post
    sounds like ur hoping for a lot of injuries for the cards so ur cubs have a slight chance at the NL central title. we arent the cubs bud, not every1 on are team is gonna get injured...
    Quote Originally Posted by quhawk11 View Post
    Any team can be a couple injuries away from being irrelevant. I dont think anyone has said that we are going to be injury free or not have to worry about it.
    Seems to me that someone did, in fact, say that.
    It was said that we should keep Hill in case someone does go down, so he could fill in if needed.

    Jest: an utterance (as a jeer or quip) intended to be taken as mockery or humor. If you knew he said it in jest, why would you respond as if he was serious. If I said, "Hey lets trade Pujols and get Troy Glaus back," which is obviously in jest, would you respond to me as if I really proposed it?
    I didn't respond to you as if you really proposed it. I responded to CardzRule as if he really proposed it, since he was the one that said it.

    Back on the true subject of this topic, Im fine with having Garcia as the 5th starter. It will give him some more experience if nothing else and he can grow into a solid starter.
    Does anyone know how highly touted of a prospect Garcia was before he went down? Not that it matters, I'm just wondering.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    St. Louis/ Lake of the Ozarks
    Posts
    6,227
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Milnertime View Post
    Seems to me that someone did, in fact, say that.


    I didn't respond to you as if you really proposed it. I responded to CardzRule as if he really proposed it, since he was the one that said it.



    Does anyone know how highly touted of a prospect Garcia was before he went down? Not that it matters, I'm just wondering.
    Jaime has been the top pitching prospect since he has been in the system. He sort of fell out of the news since he had tommy john and recovered all of last season. But he was making a name for himself... In 2007 He was like the 70th best prospect in the MLB I saw from another website earlier today.
    Last edited by bpmd2k; 03-25-2010 at 04:21 PM.
    St. Louis Cardinals
    St. Louis Blues
    Miami Heat
    Minnesota Vikings

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •