Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Bench Press Tips.

I decided to start a thread on one of my favourite exercises and also one of the more popular ones out there. The Bench Press.

i have been doing it for awhile, and yet i still find ways to help improve my bench or things i should not do.

so any tips or thoughts, safet hazards you would like to suggest, please do.

quick question, does anyone know how much you should arch your back? or if you even should, i know i find i arch my back when i try to push my chest out. maybe a bad habit.

“It is more about them than it is about the team. Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach with them. Can’t do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win.” - Mike Singletary

vCash
    I try to keep my self flat, there is a slight arch in my lower back. IF you want to be able to lift more, tuck your feet kind of underneath the bench a little bit and squeeze your traps together while pushing up. There are other tips as well for lifting more, but I am more of a body builder, not a power lifter. For body building, I like concentrating on the pecs when going up. I vary the tempo, sometimes I will train with explosive strength, pushing up faster. I also like varying the reps I do in a particular workout. I always like going heavy but when I am done, I will rep out. I will hit 225 for max reps. Usually I keep my other reps in the 5 range.

"I am built for power, not for speed."--Me

vCash
    yeah i am always trying to find a way to increase my bench weight... i dont know what reps or sets help the most to make significant strength gains.

“It is more about them than it is about the team. Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach with them. Can’t do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win.” - Mike Singletary

vCash
    without injury

vCash
    I vary everything, but for strength I really like the 5 rep range. Like I said I am more of a BBer, but I am normally very strong. Its been years of training that has made my strength go up. PLer's use chains and boards. I dont mess with that stuff, but some others here do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior21 View Post
    I vary everything, but for strength I really like the 5 rep range. Like I said I am more of a BBer, but I am normally very strong. Its been years of training that has made my strength go up. PLer's use chains and boards. I dont mess with that stuff, but some others here do.
    yeah i want to try out the chains and boards, but no idea what the board on your chest does.

i know how chains work, but then i would have to go out and buy some chaisn and bring them to my gym...

vCash
    It allows you to do partials more effectively I believe.

vCash
    If you aren't already, and I'm sure you are, definitely do more legs!

Especially leg press.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonwarne52 View Post
    If you aren't already, and I'm sure you are, definitely do more legs!

Especially leg press.
    leg press i dont do.

your saying legs help your bench

vCash
    Most definitely they do.

vCash
    Absolutely, legs make you grow!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnd_DEnd View Post
    leg press i dont do.

your saying legs help your bench
    Why don't you do leg presses?? You're training for Football correct? Then you shouldn't neglect leg presses.

Ever heard of the 5 by 5 routine? It's effective for building lean muscle in the pectoral areas.

Another idea is, if you've been benching for a long time now, try switching to dumbbell weights so you can isolate the movements of each arm. What I like about dumbbells is that it allows you to go deeper in the negative motion than a barbell does. It really stretches out those pecs!
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    Why don't you do leg presses?? You're training for Football correct? Then you shouldn't neglect leg presses.

Ever heard of the 5 by 5 routine? It's effective for building lean muscle in the pectoral areas.

Another idea is, if you've been benching for a long time now, try switching to dumbbell weights so you can isolate the movements of each arm. What I like about dumbbells is that it allows you to go deeper in the negative motion than a barbell does. It really stretches out those pecs!
    i did leg presses on my old program, then did one legged leg press, and this time i havent, more box squats, and speed squats, bulgarian splti squats, i think next work out i might throw in leg press.

vCash
    Only time I've ever done leg presses is when my shoulder was messed up

That said, **** bench .. it can suck my left nut
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post

Leg press really isn't ideal for football. Football training has changed now and it is much more dynamic. My old school's trainer used to say, do exercises that will simulate positions that you will be in during the game. I don't think I've done the leg press in a year and a half. Squats, single leg squats and lunges are better for football training.

As for the bench, I know that if you roll your shoulders, like pinch them, you can gain an advantage. Don't know why or how.

Credit--- Phins1983

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast