Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joining a Gym

vCash

Joining a Gym

I have a few questions to ask

So im joining a Gym next week and I really have no idea what type of Gym clothing I need.

Im thinking all I need is probably some shorts and a couple of t-shirts and thats it. But what do I know? I think i could be wrong. Basically what im asking is what type of things do I need to buy?

Another question I have is how long do you guys usually stay at the gym? Im not really out of shape at all either, I just want to build more muscle and do some cardio so my abs can show.

vCash
    Abs are as much about diet as cardio (and genetics )

Above all BE COMFORTABLE at the gym. Don't show any unnecessary skin, but be comfortable. Usually I opt for cutoff tees with undershirts, big basketball shorts, and some comfortable, matching kicks. Sometimes a hat too if I'm trying to get my sweat on.

Plan to spend 45-90 minutes, but don't be discouraged if you only have 20 minutes to work out. Still go, and just make the time count!

vCash
    Also depending on preference you could also get some workout gloves, and if you want to build muscle mass you can get some supplements or protein shake mix.

Soon...

vCash
    You dont need to be worrying about what you wear...

Get some sweats, shorts, w/e. You arent there to impress anyone or trying to look flashy.

If you are just starting out, then you should be doing light intensity with relatively high volume.

And you shouldnt really be in the gym for more than an hour. I usually finish up in 40-50 minutes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlr52192 View Post
    Also depending on preference you could also get some workout gloves, and if you want to build muscle mass you can get some supplements or protein shake mix.
    gloves are whack...You will not be able to get a true grip. That is where chalk comes in. And supplements dont build muscle, food does.

vCash
    You should really change your avatar.. its such a tease
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonwarne52 View Post
    Abs are as much about diet as cardio (and genetics )
    Luckily i dont really eat THAT much. I think i can get abs easily once i do the cardio at the gym. Im not looking to get amazing/flawless 6 pack abs, but ive been doing some ab workouts at home, and it did help a bit, but i recently read that cardio was very important which is something I havent done.

But yea, thanks for the help fellas. Ill just buy me some nba shorts which i need, and just wear a couple of old t-shirts I have around here. I was planning on doing that, just wanted to be completely sure I didnt need anything else since im pretty ignorant about these type of things.

vCash
    ^^ Tell me about it. IDK about you, i don't use weight training gloves for benching or anything, but i know alot of people who complain about the bar hurting their hands (lol). So those can be helpful, i guess. Well i usually do 30 minutes of cardio to burn about 450calories, and 30-40 minutes of njust go to the gym to play an hour of basketball. So it depends on how much energry and the will to work out you have.

As for clothing, i'd stick with some plain T's, some shorts/sweats that aren't too silky (cause they tend to slide down) and maybe a thin sweater for a better sweat. Also, don't forget to take a good sized water bottle. I always take a 1.5 Liter bottle every day, and i drink that in the hour i am there. You'll need it, believe me. And, if you have a pool in your gym like i do, get some swimming trunks/shorts. Bsically your typical dude's bathing suit and a lock to put you clothes in. A gym bag...That's all i can think of right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BKdoubleStacker View Post
    gloves are whack...You will not be able to get a true grip. That is where chalk comes in. And supplements dont build muscle, food does.
    Those were just suggestions, I don't use gloves (we need a flexing/muscular smiley)

Soon...

vCash
    I use gloves all the time. Chalk is great for grip, but I prefer gloves.

"I am built for power, not for speed."--Me

vCash
    I personally wear shorts all the time and a t-shirt or sleeveless top. I don't use gloves but I do have straps for those heavy sets.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    no gloves for me either (although my GF wish i did since my hands are rough and hard now) shorts and hanes white t's cant go wrong..other wise i have an under armour shirt and a controlled labs shirt or on an arm day maybe my cut off redsox shirt if im giving everyone free admission to the gun show just kiddingg
    Limitations are for people that have them, and excuses are for people that need them.

vCash
    I dont really like gloves. Chalk and then straps for the heavy stuff that you really cant grip.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Personal preference, but I can't do cardio without some spandex under my shorts. I can't workout with boxers anymore when I run. Wedgies are a *****.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    I personally wear shorts all the time and a t-shirt or sleeveless top. I don't use gloves but I do have straps for those heavy sets.
    Same. T-shirt and shorts are always worn. Can't workout in pants or long sleeve shirts, I feel too restricted.

I can't wear gloves....to give you my thoughts on gloves, I damn near slapped my brother when he bought some, haha. Just straps for the heavy stuff.

Credit--- Phins1983

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast