Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

How often to you vary your routine?

How often do you guys change up your splits, exercises, or even order of doing your exercises?

When I started working out about 15 years ago I was very inflexible about what exercises I did, what order I did them, and number of times I did them. I made huge gains right away but I also plateaued rather quickly and I got quite discouraged.

I recently started working out again after quite a few years. Now I go to the gym having a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do. But I'm flexible as to whether or not I do that exact routine.

For example on chest day I usually do flat (barbell), incline (BB or DB), decline, incline fly, something else depending on what I feel like doing.
    Doing this routine for the last month or 2 I have increased my flat bench by about 50lbs, but the incline and decline have suffered. Last night I went in and did decline first and I was absolutely shocked to be able to get 225lbs for 6 reps when before my 1RM was 190. My flat bench suffered a bit but I did surprisingly well on incline also.

Just thought I'd share a quick story.

vCash
    Right now, it varies every 2-3 weeks. When I first started lifting I didn't really change it, but now I change a lot. The exercises, the weight, the reps, the sets.

Credit--- Phins1983

vCash
    I change my routine every 3 months however, I change my order of exercises weekly. Always remember, Muscle Confusion=Muscle gains.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    I change it weekly...even if it just the rest period. I agree with Stamina, muscle confusion=gains.

"I am built for power, not for speed."--Me

vCash
    I knew that changing it up was good but I just wanted to get an idea of what some other guys were doing.

vCash
    I change it up when i'm no longer making the gains i want to have. No set timetable really.
    COME VISIT THE PSD FITNESS FORUM!!![/B][/CENTER]

vCash
    Not often enough. I need guidance =/ haha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    I change my routine every 3 months however, I change my order of exercises weekly. Always remember, Muscle Confusion=Muscle gains.
    Winner.

vCash
    There's nothing better than your muscles sending a "WTF are you trying to do to me??" message to your brain lol

vCash
    ^^Lol. How do you trick your muscles?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy951 View Post
    ^^Lol. How do you trick your muscles?
    You confuse them from deviating from the normal routine. Take the guy who was looking for a new shrug routine for example. Introducing him to farmers walks and barbell shrugs are going to shock the hell out of his traps and force them to react. Got me?

vCash
    Yea i get you. Cool, thanks for the tip. I need to switch things up. I've been kepping my exercises relatively uniform for 6 months now =/ i've obviously plateaued

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy951 View Post
    Yea i get you. Cool, thanks for the tip. I need to switch things up. I've been kepping my exercises relatively uniform for 6 months now =/ i've obviously plateaued
    Oh yeah 6 months is way too long. Jump over to the workout routine thread and grab some new ideas.

vCash
    auuuuraaaht sounds good haha

vCash
    The exercises I do change up every 3 weeks but I change the order of my exercises change up every week.