Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

My new Workout from Defrancos Gym

so every day i read more stuff on Defranco's... i think hes so underated... i look up to the guy and Cush as well.

he has a program called Westside for Skinny Bastards, and i decided to try out his final chapter...Part 3.

i have had a Personal trainer making my plans for awhile and now i want to switch it up and save some flow. so i decided to do WS4SB part 3. You make your own Workout. now i have talked to trainers and friends with Kin Degrees, and they have all said my program looks pretty good.

now i would like to have your thoughts. please! because it seems a bit short..
    be honest! Thank You

direct website to the plan.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles.html
    Last edited by Cnd_DEnd; 03-15-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added more

“It is more about them than it is about the team. Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach with them. Can’t do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win.” - Mike Singletary

vCash
    Monday-Max Effort Upper Body

Barbell bench press - work up to a max set of 3-5 reps

DB floor press (palms in) - perform 2 sets of max reps. (Choose a weight you can perform for 15-20 reps on the 1st set. Use the same weight for both sets and rest 3-4 minutes between sets).
    Seated cable rows – Seated DB power cleans -Superset. Perform 3-4 supersets of 8-12 reps of each exercise.
    Behind the back barbell shrugs - Perform 3 – 4 sets of 8-15 reps
    Barbell curls (regular or thick bar) - Perform 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps

Tuesday-Dynamic-Effort Lower Body

Weighted Reactive box Jumps - perform 5-8 sets of 1-3 jumps
    Bulgarian split squats, front leg elevated (holding DB’s or with a barbell) - perform 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps or
    Back Extension – 3 sets of 8-12 reps
    DB side bends - 4 sets of 10-15 reps

STRENGTH & SPEED TEMPLATE
    TUESDAY – Speed training
    A.
    A. General Warm-up / Movement skills (5-15 minutes) – The goal of this portion of the workout is to increase your core temperature by performing basic movement skills and calisthenics. (Example: bodyweight squats, jumping jacks, skipping, back pedaling, etc...)
    B. Ground-based mobility (5-15 minutes) – Once you’ve broken a sweat and your muscles are warm, I suggest performing ground-based mobility drills for 5-15 minutes. (Sample mobility drills include: roll-overs into V-sits, fire hydrant circles, mountain climbers, groiners, etc…)
    C. Frequency drills (2-3 minutes) – I always like to conclude my warm-up with 1 or 2 drills that excite the central nervous system before beginning the speed training portion of the workout. These drills should only last 5-10 seconds, and I recommend 2-3 sets for each. (Example: low pogo jumps, wideouts, ankling, etc.)
    D. Speed training – We always separate “speed training” from conditioning. When I refer to speed training for non-track athletes, I’m talking about distances of 60 yards or less, with complete (or close to it) recovery between sprints. The goal of this workout is to actually get faster. That’s why it’s done early in the week when your legs are at their freshest.
    E. 3-Cone drill – 4 reps with 2-3 minutes rest between sprints
    1. 10-yard sprints – 10 sprints with 1 minute rest
    2. 20-yard sprints – 6 sprints with 2 minutes rest
    3. 40-yard sprints – 4 sprints with 4 minutes rest
    4. Thursday-Repetition Upper Body

Thursday-Upper Body-Dynamic

Incline DB bench press (palms in or out) - perform 3 sets of max reps OR 4 sets of 12-15 reps:

Lat pulldowns (various bars) Super Set with rear delt flyes - Perform 3-4 supersets of 8-12 reps of each exercise

DB military press - perform 4 sets of 8-12 reps-

Barbell shrugs superset with DB curls (8-10 reps each set) - 3 supersets

Thick bar or heavy DB holds or plate Plinching (2-3 sets of max time)

FRIDAY – Max-Effort Lower Body
    Squats - work up to a max set of 3-5 reps - 4-5 Sets
    Bulgarian split squat variation (holding DB’s or with a barbell) - perform 3 sets of 6-12 reps
    Swiss ball back bridge + leg curl - perform 3 sets of 8-12 reps:
    Ground-based, high-rep abdominal circuit – Example: sprinter sit-ups, V-ups, toe touches, hip thrusts. Perform 10-20 reps of each exercise and go through the circuit 2-3 times. Rest 1-2 minutes between circuits.

Max-Effort Lower Body & Conditioning

Hip extension exercise - 3 sets of 10 reps:
    45-degree back raises

C. Sprinter sit-ups – 3 sets of 20 reps
    D. Conditioning “finisher” – choose one of the following exercises…
    Farmers walks – perform 4–6 sets of 40-60 yards with 1-2 minutes rest between sets

SATURDAY – Conditioning
    A. Warm-up – Same format as Tuesday’s workout (General warm-up, ground-based mobility, frequency drills)
    After the warm-up, choose one of the following 3 options…
    OPTION 1 – Conditioning “test”
    If you’re a football player – or any other athlete - and you have a conditioning test you’ll have to perform when you get to training camp, you can train for it on this day. (NOTE: Although I feel that most football conditioning tests suck, your coach, unfortunately, is going to evaluate you on how well you perform them. You’ll therefore need to practice whichever one he uses before showing up to camp. For example, I have no idea how running 16 110-yard sprints carries over to football, but if that’s your conditioning test, you should drill it on Saturday if you decide to use this template).
    OPTION 2 – Skill conditioning
    This involves performing a specific aspect of your sport with incomplete rest intervals. For example, if you’re a football wide receiver, you can get a quarterback to throw to you as you practice running pass routes with minimal rest between repetitions. Another example would be for a basketball player to play a pick-up game of basketball. A soccer player can go to a soccer field and work on his or her ball handling skills up and down the field. Hopefully, you get my point. The possibilities are endless for any sport.

OPTION 3 – General conditioning
    This option entails sprinting for various distances, performing cone drills – or other such conditioning drills - with incomplete rest periods. For example, a football player could perform sprints/drills that take 5-15 seconds to complete, resting for only 30-60 seconds between drills. Here is a sample general conditioning workout we performed with our football players this summer:
    1. Mountain climbers into 10-yard sprint – 8 sets with 30 seconds rest between sets. After you complete the 8 sprints, rest 1 minute before moving onto the 2nd exercise.
    2. Wideouts into 15-yard sprint – perform wideouts for 5 seconds and then sprint 15 yards on command. Perform 6 sets with 45 seconds rest between sets. After you complete the 6 sets, rest 2 minutes before moving onto the third exercise.
    3. 60-yard shuttle – perform 4 shuttles with 45 seconds rest between sets. After you complete the 4 sets, rest 1 minute before moving onto the final exercise.
    4. Illinois Drill – perform 3 sets with 1 minute rest between sets.
    Last edited by Cnd_DEnd; 03-15-2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: added more info

“It is more about them than it is about the team. Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach with them. Can’t do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win.” - Mike Singletary

vCash
    also you can check out his videos on youtube... wow what a thrill watching them. i still think there is no one who works harder than Cush... i still dont get his one picture with ****** ****... :S

vCash
    Westside is one of the best training programs to follow. It is shorter than traditional workouts but it is crazy intense. You cant go wrong with it.

"I am built for power, not for speed."--Me

vCash
    so its a five dayworkout. Mon-upper body, Tues-Lower,Weds off,Thurs-Upper body, Fri-Lower body and speed, Sat-Speed - with interval run (maybe),

i may add Sunday in for a interval hour long run.

still trying to work out some kinks on the program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnd_DEnd View Post
    also you can check out his videos on youtube... wow what a thrill watching them. i still think there is no one who works harder than Cush... i still dont get his one picture with ****** ****... :S

Hop off the dick. I've worked out with Joe, I've worked out with Cushing. Joe is real good at what he does, end of story. I'll never work with him again bc the guy I train with got in a fight with him and they dont get along anymore. We basically do the same **** anyway though... his gym is ****ing sick though. Cushing is ****ing huge and certainly trains hard, but to say no one works harder than Cush is laughable. You've never trained with him and probably haven't even seen a full half hour, 45 minute, hour workout video. His one picture with ***** **** is from steroids. I don't know it for a fact, but I damn sure believe it.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post

Hop off the dick. I've worked out with Joe, I've worked out with Cushing. Joe is real good at what he does, end of story. I'll never work with him again bc the guy I train with got in a fight with him and they dont get along anymore. We basically do the same **** anyway though... his gym is ****ing sick though. Cushing is ****ing huge and certainly trains hard, but to say no one works harder than Cush is laughable. You've never trained with him and probably haven't even seen a full half hour, 45 minute, hour workout video. His one picture with ***** **** is from steroids. I don't know it for a fact, but I damn sure believe it.
    you trained with joe defranco? wouldnt he be advising you to not take the mass amount of supplements you are putting into your body?

I give Cush credit, doesnt drink, doesnt cheat his meals,workouts, hes a pure athlete, seated box jump, i am slowly making my way to hisheight. right now my hip flexors have hit a plateau.

vCash
    Last edited by .Sean.; 05-14-2010 at 04:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I trained with him a few times, not actually in his program for multiple times a week for x number of weeks. 6 times that I can remember and 3 of them I went for competitions. I wouldn't have told him about the supplements even if he was my actual trainer. I may be 19 and should have all the testosterone, GH, etc in the world but I have ****** genetics. Also, I'll train as hard as anyone and you can't get me to puke from training, wont happen. I know my body better than he does, what works for me and what doesn't, end of story. I've done fine barely if at all supplementing up until this point simply training hard. With training hard, eating well, sleeping, and supplementing, it isn't even comparable.
    I say this with no intent of starting a fight or argument, but your coming at him pretty hard the last two posts, but you shouldn't. With all the "hard work" and "training as hard as anyone" your testing numbers don't appear to be that good.

I will agree with Cdn_Dend and Sean both, but you don't need to come at him. He found something that he likes, let him do it. If it works it works, like you said. Now, this workout looks pretty legit. You get the email I sent you? We have "failure days" which are like this too, I dont know if you saw that, but it usually around 5 reps at a failure weight. This workout looks good to me.

Credit--- Phins1983

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada26 View Post
    I say this with no intent of starting a fight or argument, but your coming at him pretty hard the last two posts, but you shouldn't. With all the "hard work" and "training as hard as anyone" your testing numbers don't appear to be that good.

I will agree with Cdn_Dend and Sean both, but you don't need to come at him. He found something that he likes, let him do it. If it works it works, like you said. Now, this workout looks pretty legit. You get the email I sent you? We have "failure days" which are like this too, I dont know if you saw that, but it usually around 5 reps at a failure weight. This workout looks good to me.
    yes i did take a look at it. Thank you for it. i am going to start that one in 6 weeks. i am starting to change my workout routine every 6 weeks now. so i am going to start this one then what you gave me. i have to google some of the exercises on yours, and maybe modify a bit. and understand it more, but i will use it. Thank You!.

also what are your thoughts on this workout i posted here? sometimes i think the legs are a bit short, but i guess with footwork and speed it makes up for it.

and also i didnt know if i was saying something wrong on this thread...but thanks bud.

vCash
    you trained with joe defranco? wouldnt he be advising you to not take the mass amount of supplements you are putting into your body?

I give Cush credit, doesnt drink, doesnt cheat his meals,workouts, hes a pure athlete, seated box jump, i am slowly making my way to hisheight. right now my hip flexors have hit a plateau.
    ok Sean,

criticism aside and anything else that doesnt relate to this. What are your thoughts on this program? be honest.

vCash
    Last edited by .Sean.; 05-14-2010 at 04:20 AM.

vCash
    ok Sean,

criticism aside and anything else that doesnt relate to this. What are your thoughts on this program? be honest.
    Its awesome, follow it closely and be sure to push yourself hard in the stuff that doesn't involve weights like speed training and conditioning because thats also essential to power and speed gains. You follow this and train hard with it, you'll see improvements.

vCash
    yes i did take a look at it. Thank you for it. i am going to start that one in 6 weeks. i am starting to change my workout routine every 6 weeks now. so i am going to start this one then what you gave me. i have to google some of the exercises on yours, and maybe modify a bit. and understand it more, but i will use it. Thank You!.

also what are your thoughts on this workout i posted here? sometimes i think the legs are a bit short, but i guess with footwork and speed it makes up for it.

and also i didnt know if i was saying something wrong on this thread...but thanks bud.
    If you need help with the exercises let me know. I know some are worded differently or called different names but I'm sure you know what they are, other than the Matrix, you might not.

This workout looks pretty good. You will notice some solid gains by doing the max reps workout. Its a killer and you might look at it thinking that it is going to be a soft workout, but every time I do one my arms and hands are done. Like I have no grip haha. Everything in it looks good, no gripes. I would actually probably recommend this.
    I'm thinking I might give this workout a try in about a month and a half. The running is pretty intense too.

Credit--- Phins1983

vCash
    thank You sean, but i am just saying from what i have saw in Cush, and heard from joe D and coaches andetc. my personal opinion, i think hes super hardworking and i am also biased because i like Cush, so i think hes number one. just my opinion, not stating a fact.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast