Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Citi Field Modification Idea (To improve Home Run Hitting)

I feel that Citi Field is a good ballpark. I feel most of us agree that we do not want to see or power hitters (such as Wright) get affected by Citi Field's dimensions. My plan is to remove the first row of the left field stands and replace it with a 8 foot fall. The dimensions will remain the same, but the walls would be smaller. This I feel will be a small but good improvement to make Citi Field favor hitters more. It will also give fans the opportunity to see more Endy Chavez style catches. Also, behind the new wall, you can decorate the area behind it with a huge mural or display that Honors Mets history, players, and championships. What do you guys think?

vCash
    I'm in favor of bringing the walls down throughout the entire outfield.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsAndrew25 View Post
    I feel that Citi Field is a good ballpark. I feel most of us agree that we do not want to see or power hitters (such as Wright) get affected by Citi Field's dimensions. My plan is to remove the first row of the left field stands and replace it with a 8 foot fall. The dimensions will remain the same, but the walls would be smaller. This I feel will be a small but good improvement to make Citi Field favor hitters more. It will also give fans the opportunity to see more Endy Chavez style catches. Also, behind the new wall, you can decorate the area behind it with a huge mural or display that Honors Mets history, players, and championships. What do you guys think?
    They need to honor more of players of Mets past by doing what they do in Dodger Stadium with their images on the walls. I think there is some tribute to past Mets pennant and World Series winners throughout the inside of the park I could be wrong. From what I heard about the park last season they had more honoring Jackie Robinson than they did their own franchise's history. I don't know how the changes they've made are going to make it more hitter friendly but then again most opposing hitters had no problem jacking balls out last season either.
    Last edited by SILVER SEAVER; 03-10-2010 at 05:54 PM.

vCash
    The best thing that can be done to Citi is painting the walls blue. Whoever reads MetsBlog daily has probably seen simulated images of what it would look like with blue walls...much better than black. WE AREN'T THE GIANTS.

vCash
    i think the walls could remain the same, considering away teams had no problem hitting homers. nothing wrong with a pitchers ballpark. teams who base their game on homers should have a tougher time in city. i do think the right-center field wall (415FT) is stupid considering our best player hits most of his homeruns opposite-fields.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    i think the walls could remain the same, considering away teams had no problem hitting homers. nothing wrong with a pitchers ballpark. teams who base their game on homers should have a tougher time in city. i do think the right-center field wall (415FT) is stupid considering our best player hits most of his homeruns opposite-fields.
    That's a myth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    That's a myth.
    ive always seen him hit a bunch to right center, but that's just me. either way, the deepest wall should be dead center field

vCash
    This idea makes too much sense for it to happen. So does the idea of lowering walls throughout the OF. And the idea of painting the wall blue.

Way, way too much sense in those ideas for them to actually happen.

Don't worry. He's got this.

vCash
    I think they should just get rid of the walls altogether to make the fields look like the ones we played on in Little League. All major leaguers should be required to run out their home runs. The idea is to hit it over the outfielder's head and run around the bases as fast as you can so you reach home base before the ball stops rolling.

Now THAT's baseball!
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsAndrew25 View Post
    I have no problem with a uniform wall, but how about we actually see what our hitters can do with a full season in Citi. I mean Delgado wasn't effected at all by the dimensions before he got hurt. The Mets ran out a AAAA team nearly all year long. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure power numbers would drop.

Take the top 4 best hitters off the Yankees or Red Sox from May to August and tell me their team numbers won't be affected much.
    Last edited by wdwyer; 03-11-2010 at 08:20 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I think they should just get rid of the walls altogether to make the fields look like the ones we played on in Little League. All major leaguers should be required to run out their home runs. The idea is to hit it over the outfielder's head and run around the bases as fast as you can so you reach home base before the ball stops rolling.

Now THAT's baseball!
    You're basically describing the Polo Grounds!

Well it had walls. But they were so far away it served the same purpose you mention.

Don't worry. He's got this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    You're basically describing the Polo Grounds!

Well it had walls. But they were so far away it served the same purpose you mention.
    Yeah, I'm thinking the Polo Grounds without walls. Batter hits a ball over everyone's head and all the outfielders chase after it. Afterwards, the coach buys everyone ice cream.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

vCash
    I don't mind a field with odd distances throughout the outfield. It gives it character. What I don't like is the different heights everywhere you look. That upswing in hight in front of the apple is ridiculous. Granted it only affected a few HRs last year but it looked stupid and was probably intimidating to the batter.

I'd like to see a uniform height all along the outfield. The cheap way to do it would be to simply paint a line (be good for arguments on umpire's calls) but there are probably other alternatives available. Can't understand why the Mets don't do something about this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking the Polo Grounds without walls. Batter hits a ball over everyone's head and all the outfielders chase after it. Afterwards, the coach buys everyone ice cream.
    If you were a pull hitter, Polo Grounds was an easy place to hit Home Runs. 280 feet down the left field line, with the overhang about 250. Right field line was 257 feet.

But dead center was 505 feet. That's what made Willie's catch so amazing. He ran about 150 feet to catch it. Or as Brickhouse said "must have looked like an optical illusion to a lot of people".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    If you were a pull hitter, Polo Grounds was an easy place to hit Home Runs. 280 feet down the left field line, with the overhang about 250. Right field line was 257 feet.

But dead center was 505 feet. That's what made Willie's catch so amazing. He ran about 150 feet to catch it. Or as Brickhouse said "must have looked like an optical illusion to a lot of people".
    Correct. Bobby Thompson's famed home run was a fly out in any other ballpark in the country with the exception of Williamsport. Similarly Dusty Rhodes' home runs in the 1954 upset over the Cleveland Indians.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast