Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Triceps

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    29,744
    vCash
    1500

    Triceps

    When ever I've tried to workout on my arms I can never seem to last long when working on the triceps.

    Mainly because the area around my elbow starts to hurt.

    I don't see what I'm doing wrong.

    Are the elbow areas suppose to start hurting? Only reason I don't continue is because I don't want my elbow to pop.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,299
    vCash
    1500
    Do you warm up thoroughly? I know I need to get the blood flowing otherwise I feel pain in my elbow as well. Make sure you have good form and dont overdo the weight, especially early in the workout.

    "I am built for power, not for speed."--Me

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York/Florida
    Posts
    28,215
    vCash
    1500
    Agreed with Warrior, in addition. What particular tricep workouts are you doing? perhaps you should switch up what you are doing.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York/Florida
    Posts
    28,215
    vCash
    1500
    Another note: The strain on your elbows may actually be caused by something other than tricep workouts. Such as shoulder presses or bench presses. I know alot of guys who always complain their elbows hurt after doing bench.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    4,337
    vCash
    1500
    That is because the triceps are a relatively small muscle. Im not a doctor or anything but your elbow pain could be from bad form or a combination of bad form and overtraining.

    It would help if you could post what your routine looks like.

    I used to have pain in my left elbow before and I would just apply icy hot and smash my upper body. Not a great idea and i continued to get pain.

    I would say the best exercises for the triceps are presses (BB/DB, varying grips,boards, incline, etc) and everything else is really just inferior, but not necessarily useless.

    For instance, someone might do some bench press, then go on to do dips, then tricep pulldowns, and finish it off with some other bs. That is just way too much work for your triceps, which again are a small muscle. In addition to a press, you should maybe use 1 or 2 other exercises to work your tri's.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Longisland, Newyork
    Posts
    7,342
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BKdoubleStacker View Post
    That is because the triceps are a relatively small muscle. Im not a doctor or anything but your elbow pain could be from bad form or a combination of bad form and overtraining.
    your tricep makes up for 2/3 of your upper arm..not a small muscle really
    Limitations are for people that have them, and excuses are for people that need them.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Longisland, Newyork
    Posts
    7,342
    vCash
    1500
    On a different note, i have a terribly hard time gaining mass in my triceps. I do mass building excersizes such as a close grip bench press and press downs with large amounts of weight. Any tips on building tricep mass?
    Limitations are for people that have them, and excuses are for people that need them.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    29,744
    vCash
    1500
    My routine is fluctuating because of classes but when I have free I normally do this for my arms alone.

    Stretch for about 5-7 minutes both arms
    Bicep Curls (15 repitions of 11) with 10 pound weights or 15 pound weights
    2 minute rest
    Then I do single arm dumbell exercises for both arms (10-15 pound weights)

    Not my exact routine but its basically a draft of what I do to my arms before the elbow acts up.

    I'm only worried because some have told me the tricep is one of the least worked muscles on the arms (since biceps are the sexy muscle) so its suppose to hurt. But others have told me the elbow shouldn't feel any sort of force that would cause discomfort or pain. I'm not trying to build mass, just leaner muscles. Just curious since I'm finally going to have time to go back to the GYM and other then Cardio I like working on my back and arms. Last thing I want is to tear something near my elbow.

    Maybe the way I do the dumbbell tricep exercises hurt my elbow but I do it slowly and controlled so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Longisland, Newyork
    Posts
    7,342
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 29$jersey View Post
    My routine is fluctuating because of classes but when I have free I normally do this for my arms alone.

    Stretch for about 5-7 minutes both arms
    Bicep Curls (15 repitions of 11) with 10 pound weights or 15 pound weights
    2 minute rest
    Then I do single arm dumbell exercises for both arms (10-15 pound weights)

    Not my exact routine but its basically a draft of what I do to my arms before the elbow acts up.

    I'm only worried because some have told me the tricep is one of the least worked muscles on the arms (since biceps are the sexy muscle) so its suppose to hurt. But others have told me the elbow shouldn't feel any sort of force that would cause discomfort or pain. I'm not trying to build mass, just leaner muscles. Just curious since I'm finally going to have time to go back to the GYM and other then Cardio I like working on my back and arms. Last thing I want is to tear something near my elbow.

    Maybe the way I do the dumbbell tricep exercises hurt my elbow but I do it slowly and controlled so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
    Its both triceps? (sorry if you said that earlier i didnt notice)
    Limitations are for people that have them, and excuses are for people that need them.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    29,744
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by goldglove212 View Post
    Its both triceps? (sorry if you said that earlier i didnt notice)
    Actually its mostly my left arm.

    For some reason my left arm bicep is more leaner then my right arm which is more bulkier then my left.

    Maybe since my right hand is my dominant I can handle more weight/repetitions?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Longisland, Newyork
    Posts
    7,342
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 29$jersey View Post
    Actually its mostly my left arm.

    For some reason my left arm bicep is more leaner then my right arm which is more bulkier then my left.

    Maybe since my right hand is my dominant I can handle more weight/repetitions?
    well if thats the case you should do equal reps/weight with each arm or switch to a barbell excersize to equal out the weight distribution.

    for example instead of dumbbells curls to barbell curls with the EZ bar or with the squat bar (which i prefer) and as for triceps try skull crushers (although that might put more strain on the elbow area) or close grip bench press. Doing that might even solve your elbow pain
    Limitations are for people that have them, and excuses are for people that need them.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Exton
    Posts
    18,678
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by goldglove212 View Post
    On a different note, i have a terribly hard time gaining mass in my triceps. I do mass building excersizes such as a close grip bench press and press downs with large amounts of weight. Any tips on building tricep mass?
    You're probably struggling to build size because you're only working one head of the triceps, when in fact you should be hitting all three areas.

    Here's an article to try out: http://www.muscleandfitness.com/tric...e/training/164

    If you subscribe to M&F, or if you can get your hands on a copy of the article, in the latest issue, there's a great triceps workout. Highly recommend trying to find that, and giving it a look.

    He woulda been ****ed in Washington...
    Update: Turns out he was ****ed in Kansas City too

    Flyers PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2009
    Phillies PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2010

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York/Florida
    Posts
    28,215
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by goldglove212 View Post
    On a different note, i have a terribly hard time gaining mass in my triceps. I do mass building excersizes such as a close grip bench press and press downs with large amounts of weight. Any tips on building tricep mass?
    The strongest my triceps have ever been was from doing body weight dips and when I was able to do 20 dips or more, I bought a dip belt and started adding weight. I absolutely love it.

    Also, if you want a nice burn, you can do tricep kickbacks but try to hold the weight for a second at the peak of the kickback, definitely flex that tricep muscle when it's all the way extended.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York/Florida
    Posts
    28,215
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 29$jersey View Post
    My routine is fluctuating because of classes but when I have free I normally do this for my arms alone.

    Stretch for about 5-7 minutes both arms
    Bicep Curls (15 repitions of 11) with 10 pound weights or 15 pound weights
    2 minute rest
    Then I do single arm dumbell exercises for both arms (10-15 pound weights)

    Not my exact routine but its basically a draft of what I do to my arms before the elbow acts up.

    I'm only worried because some have told me the tricep is one of the least worked muscles on the arms (since biceps are the sexy muscle) so its suppose to hurt. But others have told me the elbow shouldn't feel any sort of force that would cause discomfort or pain. I'm not trying to build mass, just leaner muscles. Just curious since I'm finally going to have time to go back to the GYM and other then Cardio I like working on my back and arms. Last thing I want is to tear something near my elbow.

    Maybe the way I do the dumbbell tricep exercises hurt my elbow but I do it slowly and controlled so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
    I'm sorry to disagree with the bolded statement but that is false (whom ever told you that). The tricep muscle is bigger than the bicep and gets worked more frequently that you think. When doing bench presses, the tricep is the secondary muscle being worked.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    16,713
    vCash
    1500
    I know this isn't adding anything to the topic...but i sure do love doing me some triceps.

    If anything, that is the one part of my body which i have always actually been pleased with the development of.
    COME VISIT THE PSD FITNESS FORUM!!![/B][/CENTER]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •