Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Avalanche Trade Deadline Thread

LOS ANGELES – When the Avalanche signed John Grahame to a contract today, it set off a lot of questioning: why did they they do that? Does this mean he’s the next backup to Craig Anderson?

No. The Avs signed Grahame – the Colorado native, son of former NHL goalie Ron Grahame and longtime Avs executive Charlotte Grahame – because their two minor-league goalies at the moment – Tyler Weiman and Trevor Cann – are both hurt.

Therefore, Grahame will report to the Lake Erie Monsters, not the Avalanche. Budaj will be the backup going forward. At one time, Grahame was considered a solid up-and-coming goalie, but he has not played in the NHL since 2007-08 with Carolina. He also was a member of Tampa Bay’s Stanley Cup team of 2004. He played some in Russia last year, and spent some time with Adirondack of the AHL this year.

On to other matters: we’re about 20 hours away from tomorrow’s NHL trade deadline, and the Avs have yet to make a deal. And I do not believe that anything will happen for the rest of the day, so stop obsessively checking the newswire.

I believe the Avs are kicking some tires still and will make a decision on a deal or two by tomorrow morning. The obvious candidates to possibly be on the move are Liles, Salei and Svatos. TSN’s Bob McKenzie twittered that the Avs are listening to offers for Wolski, with Phoenix’s Peter Mueller being mentioned.

As bad as Wolski is playing right now – and it’s been bad -I don’t know if I’d give him up for Mueller, who has been a complete and total stiff with the Coyotes this year and pretty much has been for two solid years now, after a decent rookie year. If you think Wolski can be frustrating, Mueller is even worse. The Avs would want a reasonably high draft pick as well if such a deal were to happen, I feel confident in reporting.

I think there’s a minor chance the Avs might take a chance on Carolina’s Joe Corvo – a good power-play D-man. It’s possible the Avs might bite the bullet and sacrifice a Liles or (maybe) a Wolski for him. The thing with Corvo is, he’s in the last year of his contract and would be a rental player. The Avs would likely want a pick from Carolina, too, but Jim Rutherford doesn’t want to give up any draft picks, so I see a deal there as unlikely. I’ve heard plenty of whispers that San Jose might take a shot on Liles, with Douglas Murray possibly coming the other way, but I think it’s highly unlikely. The Sharks are right up against the cap, for one thing, and they already have Rob Blake and Dan Boyle on their blue line. It doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense.

Liles’ contract is just a killer in a trade right now. So many teams just want to off-load salary, that taking on a guy with a $4.2 million cap hit – with two more years to run on his deal – just makes him very, very tough to move. I still think a deal with Edmonton for Sheldon Souray would be a win-win for both teams, but don’t forget that Liles also has a partial no-movement clause, and so does Souray. So that one’s probably out.

As one NHL front office person put it to me today: “Everybody has somebody available or that they want to move, but making the numbers work kills most every deal.”

Again, I don’t believe any Avs deals will go down tonight. But my phone will be on, of course. I’ve been wrong before (I heard that).
    dp

vCash
    i will actually be really surprised if we dont make a trade. I would be interested in trading wolski to the panthers for david booth or horton.

vCash
    Ive been seeing mueller and porter for wolski... Also avs have intetest in boyes

vCash
    I just read Mueller for Wolski

vCash
    You were right T.O., Mueller and Porter for Wolski. Don't know if I like it.

vCash
    I think it eorks well for us if mueller plays like he can

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by T.O.Bombinators View Post
    I think it eorks well for us if mueller plays like he can
    That's a big if though.

vCash
    Mueller will be in the lineup 2nite

vCash
    Kind of disappointed nothing else happened. I guess they couldn't move Liles contract.

vCash
    One other minor trade for the Avs.

Avs got Stephane Yelle and Harrison Reed from Carolina for Cedric McNicoll and a 6th round pick.

vCash
    i like getting yelle back but im surprised we didnt trade either liles/svatos/another d with all the people we got. Idk about the wolski trade i guess i depends on who steps their game up more him or mueller. Porter won the hobby baker so he's got alot of potential. But, I have heard mueller doesnt have any motavation and might not want to play hockey anymore i hope the change and playing with stastny or duchene will fix that. On paper though this trade looks horrible wolski 47pts for mueller who has like 13?

vCash
    its probably better to keep liles and svatos right now with the injuries to yip and cumiskey

vCash
    ANAHEIM – Well, on paper, it doesn’t look like a good deal at all, does it? The Avs today acquired a forward, Peter Mueller, who has four goals and 17 points in 54 games this year. To get him, they gave up a guy, Wojtek Wolski, who has 17 goals and 47 points in 62 games.

But this was one of those trades where both teams were tired of the guy they had, and wanted to roll the dice that their careers would blossom more with a change of scenery.

The Avs get a guy who was drafted eighth overall just four years ago, who scored 22 goals as a rookie, who got a lot of consideration for rookie of the year that year. So what has happened since? Why are his numbers so awful this year, and why weren’t they very good last year either? Talking to a couple of insiders from Phoenix today, they say a lot of the same things that were said about Wolski by people within the Avs: that he gets lazy sometimes, that he doesn’t sacrifice his body enough, doesn’t “pay the price” around the net.

They said his strong rookie season might have gone to his head, that he didn’t push his game to the next level, that he got too self-satisfied with his situation. The Coyotes finally had enough of wanting the old Mueller back and so they dealt him.

The Avs are gambling that the trade will rock Mueller’s world enough that he gets that desire back. If they can make that happen, they will have a player who was supposed to be one of the NHL’s real up-and-coming stars of the future not that long ago.

The Coyotes are banking on the same thing with Wolski, only they have a stronger case on paper that they’ll get more from the deal, at least in the short term. Wolski’s statistics are still good, no matter how you slice it.

But Avs fans know there are real risks for the Coyotes too. He does float in games too much, doesn’t get his nose dirty enough and isn’t there in the clutch so much (shootouts excepted).

Something went very wrong after Monday’s game, in the relations between the Avs and Wolski. There are plenty of indications that the coaching staff and management were furious at the effort he put forth, and decided then and there to put him on the trade block. Wolski left the Pepsi Center that night with an angry look on his face. Stuff happens all the time, but something obviously went bad that night.

I’ll be talking to Greg Sherman soon and will have what he says, but my hunch is that game really changed things with Wolski’s situation here.
    Also keep this in mind: Wolski not only was making $2.8 million this year and his contract was up, but he was eligible for arbitration this summer. Could he have expected $4 million on his next deal? With the numbers he’s had, certainly.

Money had something to do with this deal too.

*I just got off the phone with Sherman, and here’s his general summation of the deal (with more detail in tomorrow’s Post): “There were a lot of variables to consider, and in the end I made a decision that I felt was the best situation for the organization going forward. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Wojtek. He’s a good person. But this was a situation where we made a decision we felt makes us better.”
    On Mueller, Sherman said: “With the number of young players we have, I think Peter fits well into that profile of what we’re trying to do. We think our environment could help him reach his potential – and not so much his potential, because he’s proven himself before. He scored 20 (22 actually) goals in our league before. There was a coaching change in Phoenix this year. He’s still a real young guy, and we thought he was a good fit for us.”

That, to me, is a bit of the shame of the thing. Dumping salary is one thing, but dumping salary on a guy still only 24 years old with 47 points in 62 games? And, for a guy with horrible numbers this year? Risky, risky.

Anyway, the dealing is done. Marek Svatos, Ruslan Salei and John Liles remain on the team. I believe, based on various conversations, that Svatos wanted and expected a trade. But the Avs arguably still need him, especially with the injury to Brandon Yip.

Liles’ contract is just an immovable force, but the concussion injury to Kyle Cumiskey (who skated this morning and said he’s feeling better) might have changed his situation a little too.
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2010...-day-analysis/

vCash
    Yelle is a solid vet pickup. glad to have him back. anyone know how Harrison Reed is??

vCash
    after the trades a healthy lineup i would like would look like this

Mueller - Stastny - Stewart
    Galiardi - Duchene - Hejduk
    Yip - O'Reilly - Jones
    Mcleod - Yelle Hopefully meller and stastny play well- Stoa/svatos

Hopefully stas and mueller work well together i wonder if they havve played together before with team USA? Also, Is it just me or do galiardi and hejduk seem to play really well together?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast