Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

I got an email from GNC today

It basically said congress is trying to pass a bill to make a lot of supplements illegal heres the email

DON'T LET CONGRESS TAKE
    AWAY YOUR SUPPLEMENTS

TO OUR VALUED CUSTOMER

On February 3, 2010, Senators John McCain and Byron Dorgan introduced S. 3002, a bill entitled, The Dietary Supplement Safety Act. The supposed purpose of the bill is to make dietary supplements "safer." This is ironic because dietary supplements are already hundreds of times safer than either prescription or over-the-counter drugs.

The real purpose of this bill is to limit your access to dietary suppl ements. The government would tell you, the consumer, what dietary supplements you could and could not buy. There is little doubt that if this bill becomes law your choices will be drastically reduced, and many of the supplements you take today will become illegal. This misguided bill affects ALL dietary supplements, including vitamins, minerals, herbs, sports and diet products.

But, who is behind this bill? The answer is simple: big time sports leagues, especially Major League Baseball, which in recent years have been plagued by steroid scandals. Fearful that Congress will end their lucrative anti-trust exemption and require real drug testing, they have decided to make the supplement industry their scapegoat. When one of their players tests positive for steroids, they'd like people to think it must have been an adulterated dietary supplement.

Unless you want the government to tell you what supplements you can and cannot take, and unless you want to see your freedom of choice drastically reduced, you need to make your views known to your United States Senators.Tell them to oppose this terrible piece of legislation.

To make your views known, you can go to the Save Our Supplements website (SaveOurSupplements.org) to send a note in opposition to S. 3002 directly to your two Senators or you can use the website to get information to construct your own personal letter. Either way, you need to act immediately. Do not let Congress take away your right to buy and use dietary supplements.

CLICK HERE TO GO TO SAVE OUR SUPPLEMENT.ORG
    Limitations are for people that have them, and excuses are for people that need them.

vCash
    I'm not buying it! I haven't heard anything about this on the news yet.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    Gotta hide my roids then...

Soon...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlr52192 View Post
    Gotta hide my roids then...
    cheater!
    Limitations are for people that have them, and excuses are for people that need them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    I'm not buying it! I haven't heard anything about this on the news yet.
    It's legit. We gotta take sites like these seriously and show our voices against it.

Here is a summary I got from the
    Alliance of Natural Health USA that will give some information on the potential harm this Act could cause.

"If this bill passes, the FDA would have full discretion and power to compile a discreet list of supplements allowed to remain on the market. Supplements drawn entirely from food and long established supplements or supplement potencies could be arbitrarily banned.
    Supplement Safety Act (DSSA) appears to be supported by the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) which is funded by major league sports teams including baseball, football and others. In his comments, Senator McCain cited six NFL players recently suspended for testing positive for banned substances and purportedly exposed to these substances through dietary supplements.

The problem here is of course one of illegal sale and use of steroids. So why dismantle the supplement industry in order to control already illegal substances?

The FDA currently has complete and total authority to stop illegal steroids and, more broadly, to regulate dietary supplements. If the agency were doing its job, it could and would have prevented the sale of illegal steroids. The answer to this problem is not to give FDA more power; we should instead demand that the FDA do its job.

This is the great "Catch 22" of American medicine. The FDA is unfriendly to supplements because they do not come through the drug approval process. But the drug approval process only makes sense for patentable substances that will sell at very high prices. This leaves the FDA, which is supposed to guard and promote our health, hostile to the kind of natural medicine--based on diet, supplements, and exercise--that represents the real future of healthcare.

If bill passes, we can look to Europe for a snapshot of what we may be in for: EFSA, the European Food Safety Authority, has sharply reduced the list of available supplements and is in process of reducing potencies to ridiculous levels, such as less beta carotene than can be found in half of a large carrot. "
    Just a little summary, but don't take this lightly. This **** is really serious.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    The government should leave us all alone. Its my body, I should be able to put what I want into it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior21 View Post
    The government should leave us all alone. Its my body, I should be able to put what I want into it.
    They aren't making dicks illegal so you should be fine.

/kidding.

But seriously, I do want to know if the stuff that they call safe isn't actually safe.

vCash
    Lol...seriously, they over regulate things. If they want to ban supplements, then whats next? Tobacco products? Alcohol? Salt? Those are all products that are unhealthy and its common knowledge, why are they legal? It's ridiculous.

vCash
    It's because they don't trust the average American consumer to make choices that are consistent with a healthy living style, leading to insane health bills later in life, or hospital bills when you're on your death bed.

I don't trust the average American either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonwarne52 View Post
    It's because they don't trust the average American consumer to make choices that are consistent with a healthy living style, leading to insane health bills later in life, or hospital bills when you're on your death bed.

But that's what DNR's are for!
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    idk about this. im always hearing rumors about senate wanting to make things like creatine and test booster illegal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonwarne52 View Post

On that note...lets get rid of all fattening foods, alcohol, tobacco, candy, fast cars, etc. If anything supplements are conducive to a healthy lifestyle.

vCash
    The problem is that we're fine with putting what we want in our bodies until it comes back to hurt us, then we want to be bailed out by the government.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior21 View Post
    On that note...lets get rid of all fattening foods, alcohol, tobacco, candy, fast cars, etc. If anything supplements are conducive to a healthy lifestyle.
    Not if they're abused. You're not connecting the dots here.

Fattening foods are okay when moderated properly. Tobacco, well, not so much.

But just about everything is okay when in proper moderation. Do you really think this doesn't apply to supplements, or do you understand what I'm saying?

vCash
    Agreed...in moderation...but banning, prohibits use. I never said abuse supplements, just dont ban them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast