Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    14,764
    vCash
    1500

    Best way to build leg mass?

    My bottom half is lacking because I don't do it as often as I should. I know that I have to not only because it doesn't look right, but because leg growth = upper body growth as well (increases testosterone levels). I need an effective routine to build some mass in my legs over the next 3-4 months. An hour or less would be ideal. I deadlift on back days. I figure squats, lunges as my main 2 and then some isos like quad extensions, hammy curls and calf raises could get it done.

    How many sets/reps to follow? I read that because legs are so durable from walking/standing on them all day that the weight you use isn't as important as the volume you hit them at.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada/USA
    Posts
    5,219
    vCash
    1500
    If your looking to build mass in your legs, you probably want to raise the weight and lower the reps. Squats and lunges, as you mentioned are two very good exercises to do.

    Credit--- Phins1983

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Andover, MA
    Posts
    2,630
    vCash
    1500
    Squats and Leg Press with squats you must make sure you are doing proper form knees shouldnt pass your toes and you upper quad should go parallel to the floor at a minimum Leg press. go heavy to overload your muscles use progressive overload

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canadian In Michigan.
    Posts
    41,976
    vCash
    1500
    Calf raises too. Do weighted Calf Raises and run you will feel it (as long as you continue with the squats and lunges of course.. )Doing those excersies will get them for you quickly. Maybe its just because I was a martial artist and I have always had generally huge legs, almost like an NFL kicker, Legs have been easy to maintain for myself

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York/Florida
    Posts
    28,142
    vCash
    1500
    Squats is a must. You can also do front squats which is something I started doing lately.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,470
    vCash
    1500
    I develop leg muscle easy for some reason (Not calf), But i've taken the past 3 months off and havn't done any legs, So i'm looking like an arrow now.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    588
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    Squats is a must. You can also do front squats which is something I started doing lately.
    This. Make sure you're careful when doing front squats. Also to the OP look into hack squats.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    14,764
    vCash
    1500
    I'm going to start out with hack squats/leg press/lunges combination. I have some knee issues that I hope won't prevent me from doing this,

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    R.D
    Posts
    16,402
    vCash
    1500
    ^^ Good luck man, Legs are tough


    Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers and Man City fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

    "Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17,180
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaps View Post
    I'm going to start out with hack squats/leg press/lunges combination. I have some knee issues that I hope won't prevent me from doing this,
    I know you have knee issues, but you should really try some regular, free weight, deep squats. It will work many muscles at once and if you keep ignoring it you'll never be able to build to the amount of weight you need to really build mass. Theres nothing wrong with those, but at least try to get your knees used to the movement of squats and strengthening them so you can eventually incorporate them in your w/o
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    14,764
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I know you have knee issues, but you should really try some regular, free weight, deep squats. It will work many muscles at once and if you keep ignoring it you'll never be able to build to the amount of weight you need to really build mass. Theres nothing wrong with those, but at least try to get your knees used to the movement of squats and strengthening them so you can eventually incorporate them in your w/o
    I am going to try this and test my leg stamina. It's probably quite low but I'll up the intensity as I'm able to.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York/Florida
    Posts
    28,142
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaps View Post
    I am going to try this and test my leg stamina. It's probably quite low but I'll up the intensity as I'm able to.
    If you want some ideas on leg workouts, I just posted my leg routine that I did in the gym this evening. It's in the Workout Routine Thread.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    -
    Posts
    28,432
    vCash
    1500
    You should add power cleans into the mix, and make sure you don't overdo it with all of these lifts.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York/Florida
    Posts
    28,142
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonwarne52 View Post
    You should add power cleans into the mix, and make sure you don't overdo it with all of these lifts.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •