Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Best way to build leg mass?

My bottom half is lacking because I don't do it as often as I should. I know that I have to not only because it doesn't look right, but because leg growth = upper body growth as well (increases testosterone levels). I need an effective routine to build some mass in my legs over the next 3-4 months. An hour or less would be ideal. I deadlift on back days. I figure squats, lunges as my main 2 and then some isos like quad extensions, hammy curls and calf raises could get it done.

How many sets/reps to follow? I read that because legs are so durable from walking/standing on them all day that the weight you use isn't as important as the volume you hit them at.

vCash
    If your looking to build mass in your legs, you probably want to raise the weight and lower the reps. Squats and lunges, as you mentioned are two very good exercises to do.

Credit--- Phins1983

vCash
    Squats and Leg Press with squats you must make sure you are doing proper form knees shouldnt pass your toes and you upper quad should go parallel to the floor at a minimum Leg press. go heavy to overload your muscles use progressive overload

vCash
    Calf raises too. Do weighted Calf Raises and run you will feel it (as long as you continue with the squats and lunges of course.. )Doing those excersies will get them for you quickly. Maybe its just because I was a martial artist and I have always had generally huge legs, almost like an NFL kicker, Legs have been easy to maintain for myself

vCash
    Squats is a must. You can also do front squats which is something I started doing lately.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    I develop leg muscle easy for some reason (Not calf), But i've taken the past 3 months off and havn't done any legs, So i'm looking like an arrow now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    Squats is a must. You can also do front squats which is something I started doing lately.
    This. Make sure you're careful when doing front squats. Also to the OP look into hack squats.

vCash
    I'm going to start out with hack squats/leg press/lunges combination. I have some knee issues that I hope won't prevent me from doing this,

vCash
    ^^ Good luck man, Legs are tough

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers and Man City fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaps View Post
    I'm going to start out with hack squats/leg press/lunges combination. I have some knee issues that I hope won't prevent me from doing this,
    I know you have knee issues, but you should really try some regular, free weight, deep squats. It will work many muscles at once and if you keep ignoring it you'll never be able to build to the amount of weight you need to really build mass. Theres nothing wrong with those, but at least try to get your knees used to the movement of squats and strengthening them so you can eventually incorporate them in your w/o
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I know you have knee issues, but you should really try some regular, free weight, deep squats. It will work many muscles at once and if you keep ignoring it you'll never be able to build to the amount of weight you need to really build mass. Theres nothing wrong with those, but at least try to get your knees used to the movement of squats and strengthening them so you can eventually incorporate them in your w/o
    I am going to try this and test my leg stamina. It's probably quite low but I'll up the intensity as I'm able to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaps View Post
    I am going to try this and test my leg stamina. It's probably quite low but I'll up the intensity as I'm able to.
    If you want some ideas on leg workouts, I just posted my leg routine that I did in the gym this evening. It's in the Workout Routine Thread.

vCash
    You should add power cleans into the mix, and make sure you don't overdo it with all of these lifts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonwarne52 View Post
    You should add power cleans into the mix, and make sure you don't overdo it with all of these lifts.