Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Wanted to get into lifting, any advice/opinions on my routine?

First off, I am a 20yr male, 5'9, 155, in pretty decent shape looking to build more muscle mass, ideally get up to ~170-175. I've been lifting on and off for the past two years. I was hoping to start lifting 3 days a week once school began on Mon/Wed/Fri. The reason I have to start then is because I am getting ACL reconstructive surgery in two days so I will be rehabbing this summer.

Anyways, my workout after reading around is going to be:

Monday - Back/Biceps
    Deadlift - 2x5, 1x5+, Power T-Pulls - 2x5, 1x5+, Lat Pulldowns - 4x5, x5+, Pull Up Machine 4x5, 1x5+, Dumbell Bicep Curls 4x5, 1x5+, Dumbell Preacher Curls 2x5, 1x5+, Dumbell Hammer Curls 2x5, 1x5+

Wednesday - Chest/Triceps
    Bench 2x5, 1x5+, Decline Bench 2x5, 1x5+, Dumbell Bench 2x5, 1x5+, Dumbell Incline Bench 2x5, 1x5+, Flies 2x5, 1x5+, Incline Flies 2x5, 1x5+, Tricep Pull downs 4x5, 1x5+, Tricep Horizontal Pulls 2x5, 1x5+, Skull Crushers 2x5. 1x5+, Two-Handed Tri-Extensions 2x5, 1x5+, Body Dips 3x15

Friday - Shoulds/Legs
    Squat 2x5, 1x5+, Leg Press 2x5, 1x5+, Leg Extensions 2x5, 1x5+, Hammy Curls 2x5, 1x5+, Press 2x5, 1x5+, Shoulder Shrugs 2x5, 1x5+, Dumbell sitting press 2x5, 1x5+, Dumbell side laterals 2x5, 1x5+

I also usually end my workouts with abs.

So any advice on the routine and nutrition? Not sure how much I should be eating. Whenever I would lift, I would take Optimum Nutrition protein and make it so I was taking in ~150g protein/day. But not sure how many calories, g/protein I should be taking and if I should take any other supplements.

Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

vCash
    Umm, u plan on doing these routines immediately after acl reconstructive surgury? I don't know anything about this surgery but just be careful you know what your doing.

As for your workout, looks solid for a beginning, I'd make sure you have some legit to check on your form for square and dead lifts, and if you do, id invest a lot more time in dead lifts.

Dead lifts to me are the foundation for all body building exercises. Nothing gives your body the muscle balance and the overall stretch as some good ole dead lifts.

vCash
    Definitely not. I'll end up starting this after PT for my ACL once my doc clears me - whenever that is.

vCash
    looks solid. I'd up the protein to around 200, I think it will make a difference. Legs are a bit skimped, your arms get 3 separate half days while legs just get a half day. but i guess its hard to give it an entire day with a 3 day routine.
    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

vCash
    Include some rear delt exercises and cot damn that is a lot of volume for triceps, decrease the volume and increase the intensity.

But everyone is different, so if you make progress, keep the program

vCash
    Definetly up the protein as stated. Also, I would try doing Back/Triceps together and Chest/Biceps. While doing ur back, your already gonna be using mostly bicep with the pulling moves, which will hinder your bicep workouts after your done with your back. Also the same with chest/triceps. This was told to me about 4 years ago, by a NPC bodybuilder, which i took his advice and can definetly tell it works better. But go with whatever feels best for you. Just an opinion.

vCash
    Also dont kill yourself starting out. Do alot of lightweight/high reps for about 2 weeks before you try throwing around some weight. Get your body use to it.

vCash
    Thanks for the advice. As previously stated, I'll definitely up the protein to close to 200g/day. And I'll be sure to start with lighter weights before I start using heavier weights. And Ill take the back/tris, chest/biceps into consideration. Ill alternate for the first two weeks to see how the different combos feel.

Thanks again everyone!