Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Shoulder Pain

Hybrid View

vCash

Shoulder Pain

Ughhhh...

My right shoulder started hurting yesterday when I was doing high cable curls. I think I had the cable in the wrong position and I could feel my shoulder start to hurt while I was doing curls.

I'm not in a lot of pain, but I can tell it's not just soreness. There's a weird feeling in the joint.

I'm a little worried about doing bench, military, incline, etc. with my shoulder feeling like this. Anyone have any advice?

I'm thinking tonight I'm going to do deads and squats because they don't put a lot of stress on the shoulder.

vCash
    I get shoulder pains too, but not from weight lifting, it's usually from sleeping wrong.

Hot shower or bath. Soak the shoulders in hot water so they will revive faster. Icey Hot sleeves are also pretty good or get the balm.

Not much you really can do unfortunately. If its a sore joint then it will just need time to heel. Do you take anything for joint support such as Flaxseed oil or fish oil?
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    I get shoulder pains too, but not from weight lifting, it's usually from sleeping wrong.

Hot shower or bath. Soak the shoulders in hot water so they will revive faster. Icey Hot sleeves are also pretty good or get the balm.

Not much you really can do unfortunately. If its a sore joint then it will just need time to heel. Do you take anything for joint support such as Flaxseed oil or fish oil?
    Yeah, I take fish oil. I can tell that the fish oil has been helping my knees. My knees are so bad, I couldn't even imagine doing squats a few years ago... now I'm up to almost 200 lbs on my squats (still not much, but a big deal for me).

I guess I'll just try a hot shower and rest. I know it would probably be fine in a few days if I just didn't do anything but I don't want to take a few days off from lifting.

As a side note, I've been taking fish oil, B12, a multi-vitamin, and protein since November and this is the first winter I can ever remember getting all the way through without getting sick (knock on wood).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Padres Son View Post
    Ughhhh...

My right shoulder started hurting yesterday when I was doing high cable curls. I think I had the cable in the wrong position and I could feel my shoulder start to hurt while I was doing curls.

I'm not in a lot of pain, but I can tell it's not just soreness. There's a weird feeling in the joint.

I'm a little worried about doing bench, military, incline, etc. with my shoulder feeling like this. Anyone have any advice?

I'm thinking tonight I'm going to do deads and squats because they don't put a lot of stress on the shoulder.
    gotta rest it my wrist and shoulder do that you might have to skip a week or 2 at least thats what happens 2 me

vCash
    rest it man, i had the same thing and it sucks taking time off from doing shoulders. But its worth the time off to heal it right or it will just get worse.

Straight Flash Homey

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boms-4 View Post
    rest it man, i had the same thing and it sucks taking time off from doing shoulders. But its worth the time off to heal it right or it will just get worse.
    Pretty much this. Research rotator cuff rehab and do some of those movements with resistance bands and such. Helped me out greatly. I still have some scar tissue in my right shoulder that bothers me on flat bench at elevated resistance levels but there was a time when I couldn't throw a softball overhand back to the pitcher a few years ago.

vCash
    Rest won't necessarily do anything for it. I tore my rotator cuff, and granted Im not sure if the OP has done that, but since then I have had a few dislocations, and time does nothing. The time I take off it feels better, but the second I get back into something I feel it.

Right now, I am unable to sleep on my right side at night, I cannot do dumbbell military press or any exercises which are single arms and presses over head. It is pretty. I have an MRI coming up, well my doctor just put one for me so hopefully soon.

Things you can do to help the most are exercises with the stretch band/resistance band, as well as using a very light dumbbel (no more than 10 pounds, if that) and do rotator cuff rotations holding the weight. I can help you if the problem persists, because Im going through it right now.

Credit--- Phins1983

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada26 View Post
    Rest won't necessarily do anything for it. I tore my rotator cuff, and granted Im not sure if the OP has done that, but since then I have had a few dislocations, and time does nothing. The time I take off it feels better, but the second I get back into something I feel it.

Right now, I am unable to sleep on my right side at night, I cannot do dumbbell military press or any exercises which are single arms and presses over head. It is pretty. I have an MRI coming up, well my doctor just put one for me so hopefully soon.

Things you can do to help the most are exercises with the stretch band/resistance band, as well as using a very light dumbbel (no more than 10 pounds, if that) and do rotator cuff rotations holding the weight. I can help you if the problem persists, because Im going through it right now.
    Same here. I can give info to either of you. I went down this road. Went down it quite a ways.... No one has mentioned it, but NSAIDS. Just go get some Aleve or generic Naproxen to help swelling it there is any.

I tore my rotator cuff pitching. Went through PT, rest, cortisone shots and finally went under the knife. It sucked. But 2 days after surgery my shoulder felt better than it had in months.

vCash
    Yeah, have had some shoulder pain in the past too.

Just gives you plenty of reasons to put a bigger emphasis on your legs for a little while.
    COME VISIT THE PSD FITNESS FORUM!!![/B][/CENTER]

vCash
    I ussually get forearm pain in my left forearm whn i workout my biceps

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers and Man City fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

vCash
    Thanks for all the advice.

Still not sure what I'm going to do. I'm definitely going to take a break on certain exercises -- flys, military presses, high cable curls -- but I'm think I'm just going to try going through with my chest workout tonight.

On the one hand, I'm really not in much pain. I don't want to take time off of lifting for a minor little injury that I can just work through.

On the other hand, it does feel like there's something weird going on in my shoulder and I definitely don't want to turn a minor injury into a major one.

I think I'm going to give it a go on the chest workout tonight without going too heavy on the weight and we'll see how it goes. If I get pain in my shoulder I'll stop.

vCash
    Tested it last night...

Bench press... felt ok.
    Incline... ouch, quit after one set.
    Dips... ouch, quit after a few reps.

I realized at that point that I was gonna do more damage than good. So, I just got on a bench press machine, did 5 sets x 12 reps at a light weight and then called it a day. Wasted trip to the gym.

I'm going camping this weekend, so I won't be back in the gym until Monday. Hopefully the time off will help.