Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Compound or Iso?

The Super Six Compounds Exercises in my program are

Squat
    Deadlift
    Horizontal Press (Bench press or push up)
    Vertical Press (overhead press)
    horizontal Pull (Row)
    Vertical Pull (Chin up/Pull up)

Are these in your program?
    I believe as long as you hit each of these hard every week or so you are doing enough work for most purposes.

For example, I personally think bicep curls are almost a complete waste of time. Your biceps get plenty of work with rows, deadlifts, etc. Adding curls can cause your arm muscles to become overtrained. In other words, I would advise people to stop doing them.

I don't have the article to reference, but I believe it was from t-nation. The information, in a nutshell, is that if you want big arms - squat.
    Heavy compound movements such as the squat and deadlift cause a larger hormone response than curls.
    Your arms are used in tons of other lifts and thus will respond anyway to the increase in hormone production.

There's only one type of exerciser that should do any form of curls
    advanced bodybuilders. Keyword being: advanced.

Every other reason for working out - health, sports performance, anything - requires no curls whatsoever.
    Last edited by Hyland; 02-20-2010 at 02:16 PM.

vCash
    I could not agree with you more.

vCash
    I spend half my workouts on arms.. whether its row, close grip pull ups, overhead skull crushers, this thing a guy showed me to do on a bench similar to a skull crusher but from chin up, a weird dumbell twist that blows up your forearms, bar behind the back forearm curl, standard bicep curl, 21s, bench bar curls, and when you get the cables and curl them to the sides of your head

i do a lot with arms and have had success with my arms.

i cant squat or deadlift because it kills my back.. especially deadlift
    Last edited by SenecaValley46; 02-20-2010 at 02:33 PM.

vCash
    Vertical press is the same thing as military press, right?

I guess I do like 4-5 of the six. The one I don't do is the row... which I guess I should work in (I just HATE doing them).

I'm going to do deadlifts for the first time tomorrow. I do chin ups and pull ups, but I still can't do very many (about 5-6 per set).

vCash
    Google; Bill Star 5x5 or Mark Rippetoe 3x5

Both are universally prasied by bodybuilders over a regular split, and have over a decade worth of proven gains working from the main principles of hypertrophy;

Lift big - Progressive load and repetative stress. If you work out a bodypart once a week its youre stressing it 52 times a year. Under these programs your stressing it upwards of 100 times a year. Also working on a traditional split routine leaves room to become stagnant as you lose energy the further into the exercise you go and thus you dont improve the load, no new stress = no new growth.

Eat big - Take what your eating now and double it. Most people eat nowhere near enough. Ever since Ive moved onto GOMAD (Gallon of milk a day) Ive **** up in strenght and am making impressive gains whilst not spending the entire bank account on crap like chicken and steak. Its cheap and effective.

Sleep big - 8 hours a night. 'Nuff said.

Its advised if your doing sport specific training too do the 3x5 as it doesnt have as large a load and leaves you with the enegry to do other sports. If your lifting for BBing or powerlifting do 5x5.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenecaValley46 View Post

i cant squat or deadlift because it kills my back.. especially deadlift
    Then your not doing them right. I understand where your comming from, Ive done my back in whilst ****ing up the form of powercleans, but Deadlifts and Squats, along with Bench, are proven to to make you bigger and stronger. Squats involve more muscle groups than any other exercise and put more stress on the central nervous system than any other exercise releasing more growth hormone that goes to ALL your muscles.

vCash
    What would you guys recommend to someone who cant squat at all. Saying my knees are terrible is a complete understatement, but I know how important of a workout it is and I feel bad neglecting it.

Keep in mind that my knees start throbbing if I just do the squatting motion, even without any weight on...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Dro View Post
    What would you guys recommend to someone who cant squat at all. Saying my knees are terrible is a complete understatement, but I know how important of a workout it is and I feel bad neglecting it.

Keep in mind that my knees start throbbing if I just do the squatting motion, even without any weight on...
    I would say don't touch squats then. I would begin with just body weight exercises first, to build up the strength. Try lunges, if your gym has a track or an area where you could lunge it out. Try body squats, I know you said they hurt, but maybe try not going all the way down. Some leg extensions in order to strengthen the knee and get some fluid motion in it. Also, how about using some resistance band stuff. That really helped me when I tore my rotator cuff so doing exercises with that band will definitely help strengthen the knee.

Credit--- Phins1983

vCash

I agree with Canada26, Lunges are prolly your best bet right now. You can try the hack squat machine if possible as well.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NotVeryOriginal View Post
    Google; Bill Star 5x5 or Mark Rippetoe 3x5

Both are universally prasied by bodybuilders over a regular split, and have over a decade worth of proven gains working from the main principles of hypertrophy;

Lift big - Progressive load and repetative stress. If you work out a bodypart once a week its youre stressing it 52 times a year. Under these programs your stressing it upwards of 100 times a year. Also working on a traditional split routine leaves room to become stagnant as you lose energy the further into the exercise you go and thus you dont improve the load, no new stress = no new growth.

Eat big - Take what your eating now and double it. Most people eat nowhere near enough. Ever since Ive moved onto GOMAD (Gallon of milk a day) Ive **** up in strenght and am making impressive gains whilst not spending the entire bank account on crap like chicken and steak. Its cheap and effective.

Sleep big - 8 hours a night. 'Nuff said.

Its advised if your doing sport specific training too do the 3x5 as it doesnt have as large a load and leaves you with the enegry to do other sports. If your lifting for BBing or powerlifting do 5x5.
    zero flexibility training?
    flexibility helps strength.

vCash

Is your bone or your muscle? If you had a knee injury, just make sure you get into rehab.

Try building strength in your hamstrings, calves and squats to help take the pressure off the knees.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyland View Post
    zero flexibility training?
    flexibility helps strength.
    Thats what stretches are for.